• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Since "affordable" is a relative term, can you give us a better idea of your goals and budget?

For example, I think the Vortex 4-12x40 AO is a very good scope for the money for general use on a 308 but different uses and objectives and budgets would produce different recommendations.

Last edited:

Firearmed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2014
    In Town
    Affordable to me would be between $350.00 to 4. So within that range what are my options? From looking around the price varies greatly from a cheap center point to scopes going over the $1,000 mark. This happens to be the first HPR I have owned so I'm kinda "out of the loop". General use

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    OK, that opens up the range quite a bit. Is your budget for the glass, or glass + rings + base (if you change from the supplied base)?

Also, what are your objectives?

Accuracy? (MOA or Minute-of-Meat)
    Distances available?
    Fixed distance, known variable distances, or do you want range-finding capabilities?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Affordable to me would be between $350.00 to 4. So within that range what are my options? From looking around the price varies greatly from a cheap center point to scopes going over the $1,000 mark. This happens to be the first HPR I have owned so I'm kinda "out of the loop". General use

The prices actually go up to to roughly the 4000 dollar mark.

What do you intend to do with it? Is it going to be a 0-100yd rifle, or a 200-500 yds rifle etc?

Firearmed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2014
    In Town
    Well I would be looking for the glass, rings, and original support within that price range. As for the other variables at this point I havent put enough down range with it to be sure. Couple hundred yards is what I have access to for practice. Ive heard this rule of thumb " you should be able to get a decent scope for half the price of your gun". Being that the savage is relatively inexpensive though that idea doesnt leave me with even a decent scope. I definitely want a 200+ yd scope.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Not to cut the thread short, as I find I learn quite a bit from reading these threads, but you might want to give Vette a call. I have bought a number of scopes from him and he has a knack for helping folks walk themselves into the "proper" scope. (Even when the walk takes them into a scope he doesn't sell or away from a more expensive scope.)

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    For a general purpose setup I would go with

Vortex CS2 4-14x40 AO/BDC=189
    Warne Maxima rings=38
    EGW 0 MOA base=40

Total 267

This is almost exactly what I was thinking of at first.

IMO, the next real step up would be the Viper 4-12, which runs about $400 by itself. For my money, though, I would rather get the lesser scope to make certain I had room in the budget for good rings and a quality base than put better glass on a lesser foundation.

FWIW, Nikon & Weaver glass is very good, but their turrets aren't that great. Sightron is another company worth looking at, but I haven't found them to be better than Vortex at this part of the spectrum. I have heard good things about Redfield, but haven't tried one myself.

Top Bottom