• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Ok - it's time to pull the barrel from my Stevens 200. Who's pulled one? The barrel I ordered comes with a barrel wrench, but I'm guessing I'll need some sort of vise. What sort of homemade inprovs have you come up with?

I have a bench vise on hand.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have a barrel vise if your my way ill let you use it. its somthing you dont use often but when you do its much nicer. is the barrel pre chambered? if not a lathe makes a fine barrel vise

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I just removed a barrel from a Stevens and reinstalled one. I made my own barrel vise out of a piece of wood. Take a 6" piece of 4x4 drill a hole in it smaller than your barrel diameter then rip the 4x4 into 2 2x4 by cutting through the hole. Sand it down an little and you may have to take a dremel to it if you have a sporter barrel to taper it a little. put the barrel in the hole with a piece of the wood on each side place it in a bench vise and tighten it up. Take the barrel wrench to the barrel nut and remove then spin the action off the barrel too. Piece of cake.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    It's a pre chambered barrel. I'm in Indianapolis so I think i'll try and replicate mudcat's method. I sorta thought it would work out that way but was hoping to hear that others had success before wasting the time.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It's a pre chambered barrel. I'm in Indianapolis so I think i'll try and replicate mudcat's method. I sorta thought it would work out that way but was hoping to hear that others had success before wasting the time.

contact indygunworks on here. i know he rebarreled his stevens 200 not all that long ago and he is in indy

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've done it as Mudcat describes and with an actual barrel vise and it goes easy either way. You might need some grip with the homemade wood jaws, rosin works well.

As with most everything else, Kroil is your friend.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Well, UPS tracking says its here. So - either i fool around with this tonight and see what I can come up with, or a go and shoot trap for the first time at MCFG. Hmm.. i think both will probably be equally frustrating.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I'd be shooting skeet in the daylight and leave the barrel until after dark.

Unless things are seriously seized up and need a kroil soak, it shouldn't take much time.

Top Bottom