• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ike1018

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I earned a little extra play money recently (~$800) and I am looking at buying a new Savage for more affordable paper punching. I am trying to decide between a Mark II FV or TR. I like the stock on the TR better, barrel is cool, but just not sure whether it's worth the extra $$ for what I am doing with it. To make it harder is there are a lot of things on the wish list (SR1911, 930SPX, Sub2000 Glock 9mm, LCR, Mosin Nagant, MOE buttstock for my M&P15, ammo ammo ammo), so if I buy the FV I'll have more $$ to spend on something else.

What would you do? FV or TR, what else would you buy?

Currently have G19, G26, CM9, SR22, M&P15, Savage Model 5, Rem1100 & 870

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Your call

It's your call but.............If I needed the extra money, FV. If looks were not the #1 issue to me, FV. I doubt there's any difference in the way they shoot. FV!

By the way, what caliber are you considering?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Just my opinion, but I'd recommend buy once, cry once unless you really enjoy selling/trading. I have the TR with the heavy barrel and am very happy with it. I've read where people that try to upgrade to the Boyd stock have mixed results.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I would, and am going to soon, go with the FV-SR. The TR model in my opinion seems like its caught right between a hunting rifle and a bench rifle. If your gonna use it for hunting, Id go with the FV, If your gonna use it for bench shooting, Id go with a no BS bench rifle. TR looks cool, but just doesnt seem as practical esp. for the price.

oh. and the TR stock is just a Boyds Tacticool. You can buy them for the FV if you really want one.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I just bought a 93FV in .22mag with heavy barrel a couple months back. Absolutely love that gun, very accurate and no problems at all.

I did this at 50yrds today with it.

013.jpg

ike1018

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    By the way, what caliber are you considering?

22lr

Yeah, I am leaning towards the FV as I would love to be able to pick something else up on my wish list this year. @Phase2, I am normally a buy once guy which is why I've been taking a hard look at the TR.

I think it is going to come down to how bad I want something else on my wish list this year, if I just wanted a 22 I'd pick up the TR.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I bought an FV-SR for use as good starting point for a nice .22lr bolt gun, suppressed of course.

The factory stock sucks, so I bought a Boyds Tacticool stock and the other small parts to get it together. (I am waiting on the scope and rings I ordered.)

I say, go with the FV.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I bought an FV-SR for use as good starting point for a nice .22lr bolt gun, suppressed of course.

The factory stock sucks, so I bought a Boyds Tacticool stock and the other small parts to get it together. (I am waiting on the scope and rings I ordered.)

I say, go with the FV.

I agree with that! I want one of the Boyds stocks for mine as well. Waiting for them to get of back order.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I agree with that! I want one of the Boyds stocks for mine as well. Waiting for them to get of back order.

When I ordered mine, the Tacticool stock was BO'd, but I had it in hand in 2 weeks.

Just order it and forget about it, Boyds doesn't charge your card until it ships.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    FV-SR and don't look back.

IMG_9939.jpg

I've got a 93R17 FSS, and after shooting the "short stick" I wish all Savage rimfires came with the TR bolt knob.

I also would have absolutely no issues carrying my FV-SR hunting; its heavier than with the POS tupperware factory stock but certainly not uncomfortably so.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I earned a little extra play money recently (~$800) and I am looking at buying a new Savage for more affordable paper punching. I am trying to decide between a Mark II FV or TR. I like the stock on the TR better, barrel is cool, but just not sure whether it's worth the extra $$ for what I am doing with it. To make it harder is there are a lot of things on the wish list (SR1911, 930SPX, Sub2000 Glock 9mm, LCR, Mosin Nagant, MOE buttstock for my M&P15, ammo ammo ammo), so if I buy the FV I'll have more $$ to spend on something else.

What would you do? FV or TR, what else would you buy?

I bought this MK IIF for $195 including shipping and transfer fee.

DHH_0776pw.jpg

:D

It's not a bull barrell, but bolt action .22s don't get warm. ;)

The stock is not a Boyd's, and if I grab the stock and barell, and squeeze, they will make contact. But sitting on a rest, they won't make contact.

I'm just saying, if you're looking for a low paper puncher..........:rockwoot:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Get the FV-SR and upgrade the stock as you are able. There is no need for the longer barrel of the TR. Plus the MSRP is $230 apart. You can get the FV-SR for around $250, the Boyd's Tacticool (same stock as the TR) and the bottom metal for about $130.00. That's a lot of rimfire ammo.

Plus, the FV-SR is already threaded if you ever decide you want to get a suppressor.

I bought the FV-SR as a suppressor host and love it. It's a great little gun. The factory stock is a PIECE OF CRAP though. I replaced it with a Tacticool and mounted a Mueller 4.5x14x40 scope on it. Great scopes for the money.

I also did a bunch of work to the trigger, and now the trigger breaks like glass and is really light. Since it's a bench/range gun, I removed the Accutrigger shoe and have a much nicer than factory trigger.

Also, the rifle is REALLY accurate.

Top Bottom