• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had the 22lr/.410 youth compact takedown version, and sold it. I was never that impressed, and the day the "iron sights" (plastic) got smooched I realized it was over for me. To be clear, I'm a long time savage fanboy, and honestly don't know how many of their guns I've bought or sold over the years. So when I say it's a hard pass for me on this gun it's kinda stings to say that. If the sights were some form of metal I'd be all over it. At one time I even went so far as to have a buddy try to machine some fixed sights for me but that project never finished and ultimately the gun was "meh" on it's best day.

I did however recently buy a TPS arms M6 scout and it's a new production version of the M6 scout and I'm very happy with it. They tweaked a few things since the old springfield/cz M6 scouts like the hinge pin, a choke tube in the .410 barrel, and the storage stock compartment is somehow different. I really liked mine from the start, wasn't initially impressed with the accuracy. It would shoot 8" high at 25 yards, and I contacted TPS with pictures of it and they offered to swap sights if I sent it in or if I felt comfortable swapping it myself they'd send me the parts. It was a simple process of punching out a pin, swapping a part and driving the pin back in that took me all of ten minutes. After that, right on target at squirrel/rabbit shooting distances.

I went with the TPS because I like the all steel construction and the versatility that the stock compartment has that the originals had and the savage 42 did not. In a perfect world I'd get an original M6 scout, but those prices have gotten crazy to $750 on up for a beat up and used one.

Inside the stock of my TPS I've got enough space for fire making materials, fishing kit, and other misc gear. I couldn't have done that with the savage 42.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you stick with savage and just flip the 42 around to a 24 you will be set for life. Nice working man’s double gun. Finding one is not as easy as it used to be but they made a ton of them so they are not a rare item.

The 42 is not for me. Plastic stock and sights have no soul. The idea is fantastic I just think they cut to many corners to get the price down. When they did that they cut out the soul of the gun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom