• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had the 22lr/.410 youth compact takedown version, and sold it. I was never that impressed, and the day the "iron sights" (plastic) got smooched I realized it was over for me. To be clear, I'm a long time savage fanboy, and honestly don't know how many of their guns I've bought or sold over the years. So when I say it's a hard pass for me on this gun it's kinda stings to say that. If the sights were some form of metal I'd be all over it. At one time I even went so far as to have a buddy try to machine some fixed sights for me but that project never finished and ultimately the gun was "meh" on it's best day.

I did however recently buy a TPS arms M6 scout and it's a new production version of the M6 scout and I'm very happy with it. They tweaked a few things since the old springfield/cz M6 scouts like the hinge pin, a choke tube in the .410 barrel, and the storage stock compartment is somehow different. I really liked mine from the start, wasn't initially impressed with the accuracy. It would shoot 8" high at 25 yards, and I contacted TPS with pictures of it and they offered to swap sights if I sent it in or if I felt comfortable swapping it myself they'd send me the parts. It was a simple process of punching out a pin, swapping a part and driving the pin back in that took me all of ten minutes. After that, right on target at squirrel/rabbit shooting distances.

I went with the TPS because I like the all steel construction and the versatility that the stock compartment has that the originals had and the savage 42 did not. In a perfect world I'd get an original M6 scout, but those prices have gotten crazy to $750 on up for a beat up and used one.

Inside the stock of my TPS I've got enough space for fire making materials, fishing kit, and other misc gear. I couldn't have done that with the savage 42.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you stick with savage and just flip the 42 around to a 24 you will be set for life. Nice working man’s double gun. Finding one is not as easy as it used to be but they made a ton of them so they are not a rare item.

The 42 is not for me. Plastic stock and sights have no soul. The idea is fantastic I just think they cut to many corners to get the price down. When they did that they cut out the soul of the gun.

Top Bottom