• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Decided it's time for a new bolt gun. Caliber wise it's going to be a 7mm-08, that will fill all my needs. Where I'm stuck is trying to pick between the Savage 110 high country, and the Bergara Ridge. Both have medium contour barrels, threaded muzzles and weigh about the same. Only savage I ever had was their 220 20 gauge which was a great shooter, and I've never owned a Bergara so I have no experience with them. Just looking for some input, thanks.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Bergara are known for their barrel quality.
    I first learned of them in regards to muzzle loaders.
    They turn out some really nice front-stuffer barrels.

I've not been fortunate enough to handle or shoot one of their rifles, but I do own two of their barrels in muzzle loaders and they are great shooters.
    For Savage, I've long been a fan. I own one of their .22lr's, and a Striker "pistol" in .308 Winchester.
    Savage make fine quality firearms.

If it were me, I'd have a hard time choosing between the two.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    No experience with the Bergara.
    As for the Savage, I have a 10 FP in .223 that is a tack driver. It loves 60g V-Max with BLC-2. The acu-trigger is nice once you get used to it, you have to make sure you get the center blade pushed.
    The only drawback is the cheap synthetic stock. I made sure the barrel channel was opened up an not touching the barrel. Added weight to the rear of the stock. Beded the action. I also filled in the checkering and painted the stock flat black.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Only experience I have with Bergara is the barrel on my fathers AR. It’s the best shooting AR I have personally handled. I would be moved towards Bergara just because of that.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Both are quality bolt guns and would serve your needs well.

I was in the same boat a bit ago between a Bergara or a 700.

From everything I read the Bergara is one of the finest shooting, most accurate out of the box bolt guns you can find for the price point.

I ended up going with the 700 because I found a smoking deal on a new one and they give you a ton more options later on in life if you want to start tricking it out. I kind of think of the 700 as the 10/22 of the bolt gun world.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'd rather get a Howa, they have a lot strong extractor (M16/beefed up Sako) vs the push feed detent system on the Savage and Bergara. Bolt shrouds on the Bergara at one time were made from some pot metal material and with handholds I've seen a couple blow/break (typically on 6.5 Creedmoors when the bullet was loaded to touch the lands). Bergara bluing also seems delicate and rusts/spots super easy and if you have to send your rifle into them for warranty they say to well oil it cause they're not responsible for rust that happens in their warehouse. So in my mind if you go the Bergara route plan on investing more into it getting the barrel and action cerakoted.

Savage has increased their quality though with the accufit stock, really nice concept and well done and some of their new models (like the High Country) are pretty sharp.

Savage and Howa have 3 position safeties, I like the position of the Howa better being up by the action not the rear tang of the Savage. Plus the Howa's bolt is easy to take apart for maintenance, requires no tools for disassembly.

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have a Bergara B14 Hunter in .308. I also have a Remington 700 BDL in .30-06 that has had a bunch of work done to it (free float, glass bed, timney trigger)

FWIW, I think the B14 is an improved 700. I shoot the bergara better at every distance. If I had to make a short list, I would say because of the pillaring, adjustable trigger, excellent barrel, and the sako style extractor ... it beats almost any 700 out of the box while at an attractive price.

My B14 beats my BDL all day and night, at least in my hands.

20191110_153654.jpg

I have no experience with Savage other than handling some forgettable rifles on the shelf. But, if I had any advice, see if you can't find both at your LGS, even if it's not in the caliber you want and go back and forth between the two. Let the rifles do the talking with their actions and the way they feel in the hand.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.:)

Gloy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2018
    Milford
    I have the savage in 223 and the bergara b14hmr in 6.5 creedmoor, the bergara is just awsome to shoot at distance 700 is as far as I've gone so far but the bergara makes it pretty easy. If I were to buy another I will not hesitate to get the bergara. You probably will like either, but I vote bergara.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Either would probably serve your purpose. The nice thing about the Savage rifles is that you can easily change the barrel out yourself if needed. The Bergara I own and others I've handled have a higher level of fit and finish than the Savage I own and others I've handled. That may or may not matter for your purposes. Both have a wide variety of accessories available if that is your thing. Personally, I prefer the decent, adjustable trigger on the Bergara to the AccuTrigger on the Savage, even though you can likely adjust it to be lighter than the Bergara. IMO, Savage makes a good rifle for $600 or less but when you get above $800 there are better choices for the money. The Bergara is an excellent value for the price, IMO.

Top Bottom