• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newgunguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    delaware county
    ok, looking to spend around 150.00, any preferences between marlin 795 or savage 64? just wanting a nice little .22 to go play with, maybe shoot at some squrrels. before anyone says 10/22 I don't want to spend that much or add accessories other than a scope, I have other toys with all that stuff. researching both mentioned I really dont see much difference, accurate, dependable, fun. any owners that want to chime in feel free, thanks

Chris

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I bought my Son in Law a 795. It was a nice little rifle and I often thought about getting myself one. The Savage would probably be a fine one too but I have never fired one of them. As far as the Ruger 10-22, a budget is a budget but the basic 10-22's only retail for 50-70 dollars more than the price you mentioned between Rural King and Walmart.
    That being said while nowhere near the aftermarket supplies as the 10-22 there does seem to be more and more accessories for the Marlin than the Savage.

Good Luck

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Between the two, I would go with the Marlin. You might also look at the Remington 597 or the Mossberg 702. Of the bunch, I would lean towards the 597. I suspect you can find a 597 in your range in one of the deals this week.

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    I have never owned the marlin but do have a Savage 64. Not impressed! Bought it on a whim. BPS had them on sale. Laminate thumb hole stock and bull barrel. It has constant fail to feed issues. Bought different mag., different ammo. polishing mag., etc. and still having problems. Just need to send back to Savage to see what they can do to fix it.

BTW, I have seen marlin 60's on sale lately right at $150

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Since hearing about the issues that Remington has brought to Marlin, I'm leaning towards savage myself. But that's just my opinion, If given the chance I too say you might want to try a Remington 597. I too have one, and It's fun to shoot, easy to operate, and fairly cost effective. You should be able to enjoy either of the rifles you have mentioned. Good luck!

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I am not a owner of either. However, the owner of the LGC I frequent REALLY promotes anything made by Savage... for the money that is. Just my:twocents:

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I own a 795 and have never had a single issue with it and it's a newer one. Only purchased 2years ago. And well past 1000 rounds through it now. Mine even likes the aftermarket 25 round Promags.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I own a basic Savage 64,and it is nice. It is nothing special, but what do you expect for a $150ish rifle. Accuracy is pretty decent. I put a cheap Simmons 3-9x scope on mine. I wish it had a swivel stud in the front so I could put a sling or bipod on it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Back before I really started getting re-interested in firearms, I had an old Mossberg model 144 bolt action .22lr just fall into my lap.

The story I got was some guy left his wife and kids, and his guns behind.
    She waited 6 months and decided she needed money.

I was told $50 for the old Mossberg, and I really didn't know one way or the other if it was worth it or not. It had a very nice padded leather sling on it as well as a Bushnell/Banner 3x9x40. Iron sights were gone, and it only had 1 box magazine, but I felt if it worked at all it was likely worth the $50 she was asking.

I gave her what she wanted and I've had the rifle ever since.
    It's been one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned, rim or center fire.

My point is, if all you're looking for is a toy to plink with, spend some time and find a proven old beater.
    There are plenty of used rim-fires out there that will shoot just fine for the average squirrel hunter.

If you look long and hard enough, I'd bet you could find a good old bolt .22Lr for under $100

Just my opinion.

Edit to add,

If you find something in decent shape, and more than 20 years old, with ANY of the following names, you'll be happy,

Marlin
    Mossberg
    Savage
    Stevens
    Winchester

Last edited:

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Here's my vote...
    Marlin-Firearms.jpg

Mr.Softball

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Perry County
    I have owned a Savage bolt and it was super accurate and my Dad had a Marlin 60 very dependable look at both and see what fits the best. Do not think you could go wrong either way.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Really like the Savage Model 64. Had a standard Model 64 for many years. Modified it with an extended mag release, cheek rest, and pinned the front scope ring to the receiver. Later upgraded to a Model 64 TRR-SR.

100_0562.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Here is a picture of the mag release.

100_0453.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    We have a savage mkii with accutrigger and scope, its a nice gun but I prefer the 5round mags for it because of how the bend forward. I grab the gun near the mag and its uncomortable. But the mkii in semi auto curves back. I wish the bolt gun was like that.

Ottboys3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Indy
    I've owned several savage rifles! They are a dependable and inexpensive! My first 22 was a Savage Stevens .22! Just my 22 cents.

Top Bottom