• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I was home, minding my own business when my video doorbell altered me to a visitor. It took me a second......!

NOBODY’S concerned here about the effects of the video doorbell altering the homeowner to a visitor? I don’t know, that seems like the real problem!!! And in only a second, that’s why I don’t have one!

OP, you did well.

I was visiting some people and they came out with a little lock box with a gun in it. Said they didn’t know if it was loaded. It was a Taurus snubnose .41 revolver, along with a couple of loaded speedloaders. It WAS LOADED. They had opened the box, saw the firearm, and closed the lid without ever touching it. Probably wise. Asked what it was worth, didn’t really know said maybe $200?

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    NOBODY’S concerned here about the effects of the video doorbell altering the homeowner to a visitor? I don’t know, that seems like the real problem!!! And in only a second, that’s why I don’t have one!

OP, you did well.

I was visiting some people and they came out with a little lock box with a gun in it. Said they didn’t know if it was loaded. It was a Taurus snubnose .41 revolver, along with a couple of loaded speedloaders. It WAS LOADED. They had opened the box, saw the firearm, and closed the lid without ever touching it. Probably wise. Asked what it was worth, didn’t really know said maybe $200?

Really. Do as you will my friend but we have a complete camera security system as do both neighbors. We have every possible angle covered.
    Pretty broad brush you are painting with right there as some of us do care and we do have cameras. Or were you referring to the Typo...:):

Just saying.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I keep forgetting this is the internet.....

To keep this from going down the what if paths, this was a good thing. My role in this was to simply unload the weapon and lock it up for him. He had already retrieved it from his fathers house along with his car keys. When the neighbor around my age of 47 - arrive back at his house, he asked me to help him unload it because he has three boys living at home and they are not familiar with firearms. Unloading it and locking it up, was the right decision.

The look on my neighbors face, as he told me about his fathers ailing health told me all I needed to know. This wasn't a gun grab.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

To keep this from going down the what if paths, this was a good thing. My role in this was to simply unload the weapon and lock it up for him. He had already retrieved it from his fathers house along with his car keys. When the neighbor arrive back at his house, he asked me to help him unload it because he has three boys living at home and they are not familiar with firearms. Unloading it and locking it up, was the right decision.

The look on my neighbors face, as he told me about his fathers ailing health told me all I needed to know. This wasn't a gun grab.

Good on you sir.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Had I said, - I'm not touching that thing.... My neighbor would have had an unlocked, loaded shotgun in his house, with three teenage boys.

I get you don't have all the information, but I had enough to do the right thing.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis

To keep this from going down the what if paths, this was a good thing. My role in this was to simply unload the weapon and lock it up for him. He had already retrieved it from his fathers house along with his car keys. When the neighbor around my age of 47 - arrive back at his house, he asked me to help him unload it because he has three boys living at home and they are not familiar with firearms. Unloading it and locking it up, was the right decision.

No one thinking logically believes you were doing a “gun grab.” No need to justify yourself, whatsoever. This isn’t anymore of a “gun grab” than taking the car keys of an intoxicated friend is a “car grab.”

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

Good for, too Bad others do not have the courage to do the right thing. Let me tell you a true story, no so long ago there was an incident where an elderly not of sound mind person had several shot guns, one of which he used to shoot through the closed front door, in doing so struck his daughter who he mistook as an intruder when she rang the door bell.

Several months later she is doing well, her father has since passed on never realizing the consequences of his actions.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

I think you did the right thing. You helped your neighbor in need. The thing between him and his dad is still that, between him and his dad. You didnt go into the old mans home and take his firearm. You made it safe for your neighbor and potentially anyone who didnt need to access it. Im a very pro-Freedom guy if people dont know that, but I'm also pro-common sense. And i dont say that because thats the word the democrats always use to chip away at our 2A rights. I used the words common sense because that's exactly what happened here. And compassion in my opinion.
    We have forgot how to "police" our own. Just like parents try to make the police do the parenting. We need to handle our own business sometimes and thats ok. Because frankly sometimes some of our relatives may need to be seperated from their guns. Its TOTALLY different when a friend, neighbor, family member does it out of love and true worry, than if the government/police come and do it. If you cant figure that out then you may need to work on your common sense

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Good for, too Bad others do not have the courage to do the right thing. Let me tell you a true story, no so long ago there was an incident where an elderly not of sound mind person had several shot guns, one of which he used to shoot through the closed front door, in doing so struck his daughter who he mistook as an intruder when she rang the door bell.

Several months later she is doing well, her father has since passed on never realizing the consequences of his actions.

This is one of the scenarios we avoided. We actually talked about this exact thing. Thank you for commenting.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Thankyou for being a good friend to your nieghbor. Also glad that your nieghbor asked for your help and did not involve the police or courts in a family situation. I complete agree with the previous post saying we need to do better about policing our own.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Good job. I've had some moments. Privacy issues. Responsible gun owners know how to handle the sensitive situations. Good job.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Also, I don't have an altering doorbell, and I have chocolate cake in my lunch box. It tastes really good, so it's worth at least a dollar.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like the idea of helping someone, not just a neighbor, unload and make safe a firearm. Good thing here.

My concern rests with someone seeming to make a unilateral decision to disarm someone else without due process. The person doing the disarming may appear to have the best intentions in the world, and probably does. However, they may not have good judgement or the best intentions. Perhaps they are a wee bit sensitive.

Once Lairds' Law would have been initiated the alleged person having issues would have received the full protection of the law.

I know we want to rail against an abusive nanny state, and we should! However, under the law the person allegedly having issues is entitled to the full protection of due process and we need to remember this as well.

There are problems with both solutions and I know we all can do the best we can, that is all we can do. I just want to remind everyone that each solution has both good points and bad.

I hope the person who had their shotgun taken away gets whatever help they may need, if any, and has their firearm(s) returned to them with all possible haste.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom