• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Since an often asked question from those thinking of reloading is, "Can I save money reloading?", I did a rough cost estimate of loading some .223 match ammo. I just loaded 100 rounds and I figured it cost me roughly $26.00 (26 cents each), not including the cost of the brass case. I used a Nosler "Competition Bullet". If I would have used a cheaper FMJ, I could have gotten the cost down to around $19.00 (19 cents each). I just saw some Lake City ammo on sale for $750.00 per case of 1,000 rounds or 75 cents each. It looks like I'm doing ok, especially when I consider that my ammo shoots better than store bought.

BTW, I'm loading .45 ACP target loads with components purchased B.O. (before Obama). I can load a box of 50 for around $2.35, not counting the cost of brass. That comes out to 4.7 cents each or less than a nickel a shot! I can't buy good quality .22 ammo for that anymore.

TexasRedneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Texas - where else?<G>
    That calculator is sweet! One thing - don't forget to factor your shipping costs into the equation. It's fun to see how cheap our loads are, but it's also important to ensure ALL the numbers are included! My PO .45 loads are runnin' me about 13 cents each (12.6 to be exact) - but that takes hazmats and shipping into account. I generally buy 8 lbs of powder at a time, and 15-20k of primers, so that helps. Usually buy 8-10k bullets at a time.....my mail man HATES me!<G>

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The bullet is the most expensive component, so it pays to shop around. Of course if you can shoot lead bullets in your handgun, that will be a considerable savings. If you cast your own bullets for handgun, you can really get the costs down. Unfortunately, since I moved, I don't have a properly ventillated area in which to cast bullets. Maybe some day.:dunno:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Reloading cost....

I mail order my bullets, USGI pulled, and buy the primers & powder locally. I have saved 1000s of pieces of brass over the years and buy extras when cheap.

Im paying $5 or more extra for primers and 1LB of powder now. Last year the cost was appox $150 per 1K for .223 and $215 per 1K for the .308 vs. these prices paid since Aug '09.

.223: ($180 per 1K) add $50 for 1K brass

1K M855 bullets $45
    4lbs of powder $100 (use appox 3.5lbs per 1K)
    1k primers $35

.308: ($250 per 1K/ taking into account the extra .2lbs of powder) add $100 for 1K brass

1K M2 bullets $50
    6lbs of powder $150 (use appox 6.2lbs per 1K)
    1K primers $35

I figure that Im loading .223 for half price and .308 for less than half price now.... plus I have loads worked up for the ARs and the M1As that perform better than standard factory ammo (not match or B. Hills etc...)

My reloading gear paid for itself the first few 1K that was reloaded.....

Its still worth reloading.

I also reload .45acp, 10mm & .44 mag, I buy .30-06 from the CMP and also a local guy, saving the brass though and I buy extra .30 cal bullets too.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I am reminded of the following line: You don't save money reloading, you just shoot more!;)

padishar123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Leo, IN
    Reloading is a useful way to use Dec, Jan, Feb in furtherence of your hobby when it's too nasty to go outside shooting. i load all winter, blast all summer. it also gives you an excuse to invite friends over to BS while loading. better than sitting at a bar or watching TV.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you are patient and have good connections you can get some really good deals.

I've got some components that I bought in January (in the heart of the rush and price spike) that should yield me some plinking .223 ammo for less than $0.10/round. The primers were wolf at $17.40/thousand. The bullets were pulled, resized, 55 gr FMJ for 4.5 cents each. The powder was an "oops" where somebody accidentally poured a little bit of another powder (I know what it is, I just forgot; its marked on the jug) in with some H335, for $50 / 8 lb jug.

To get these components, I placed an order with a good friend, who has good connections, nearly 2 years ago. And it just so happens that after waiting 2 years for this deal, some stuff finally came available soon after the election (I have no idea how that worked out).

**********Caution on the powder**********
    It is not safe to load mixed powders. The only reason I am doing so is because I've been loading for over a decade, the loads I will be loading will be LOW power plinking loads, the 2nd powder is less than 10% of the content, and it is nearly identical to H335 in burn characteristics. You should never load mixed powders with different burn characteristics, with high amount mixed together, or where one of the powders is not known.

Regarding pistol ammo. I remember 2 or 3 years ago I load up some cast lead (purchased bullets, not self-cast) .40 S&W ammo. I remember buying the components from the same well-connected friend at his cost. I paid $110 for 3K worth of components (everything but the brass). Now 3.3 cents each for .40 is pretty good if you ask me, especially when you figure thats buying the bullet too.

Last edited:

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Since the cost of materials has gone up I can load a box of 50 9mm for about $3.25 using cast lead bullets that me, and my uncle make. Other calibers like .223, and .308 are now deffinetly costing a bit more, but certainly cheaper then buying manufactured ammo.

Bullets.jpg

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I mail order my bullets, USGI pulled, and buy the primers & powder locally. I have saved 1000s of pieces of brass over the years and buy extras when cheap.

Im paying $5 or more extra for primers and 1LB of powder now. Last year the cost was appox $150 per 1K for .223 and $215 per 1K for the .308 vs. these prices paid since Aug '09.

.223: ($180 per 1K) add $50 for 1K brass

1K M855 bullets $45
    4lbs of powder $100 (use appox 3.5lbs per 1K)
    1k primers $35

.308: ($250 per 1K/ taking into account the extra .2lbs of powder) add $100 for 1K brass

1K M2 bullets $50
    6lbs of powder $150 (use appox 6.2lbs per 1K)
    1K primers $35

I figure that Im loading .223 for half price and .308 for less than half price now.... plus I have loads worked up for the ARs and the M1As that perform better than standard factory ammo (not match or B. Hills etc...)

My reloading gear paid for itself the first few 1K that was reloaded.....

Its still worth reloading.

I also reload .45acp, 10mm & .44 mag, I buy .30-06 from the CMP and also a local guy, saving the brass though and I buy extra .30 cal bullets too.

Where do you buy your stuff? I'm looking to get into and i've found decent prices (or so i thought) you beat me by a lot though.

Top Bottom