Saw a gang fight near my house yesterday in S. Hammond!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubsfan1984

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm 24, I lived all over Hammond till about a few years ago,including that same neighborhood (now in Portage). I still have friends that live there and I go visit quite a bit and it has been getting worse and worse.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Yikes...and I'm about a half-mile west of there...and I have to leave my my house for the next two weeks.

The fiance will have the glock on the nightstand, and not underneath in the gunvault for that time.

Thankfully my little pocket of town has been very quiet since I moved here ~1-1/2 years ago. I expect to be here for a while, but I know that once the first child comes along I will ski-dattle.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Yeah...I know what you mean...Until about 5 years ago I lived in Cal City by River Oaks Ford. My 19 and 21 year old still live there with my x....so I know the area you are talking about. Pretty bad around State Line to

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    Seriously though, that lone cop was not very tactical. Do those officers there carry AR's in their vehicles at least? That would be a situation of strong tactical retreat and form up with response forces!

Sometimes, if you are actually going to be a real cop and keep the peace instead of watching kids die in a gang fight while you wait for backup, you can't afford to be tactical.

You've just gotta be the biggest (and it ain't about size), baddest, meanest SOB on the street for a few minutes, and never let 'em see you sweat.

It's risky, but it's why we pay 'em the big bucks, and worth remembering when a cop is writing you a nit-noid ticket and you feel the urge to try to crap on his day.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    LOL @ Hatcheries!

Hey- there are still some hatcheries RIGHT there next to Goose Island even though there's several new shops including a Best Buy and several other nice chains.

I believe they are vacated though- aside from the cockroaches ;)

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'd be interested in reading what some of the LEOs on the site have to say about this. I've had a cop tell me in casual discussion that a citizen with a gun in a situation where a cop has been shot at, would be in very serious danger when the other cops showed up. He said that as far as loyalty goes, the police department is like a gang themselves, and their first concern when they arrive is going to be the cop under fire, and a citizen being accidentally shot is a distant second.

I'm not trying to criticize the police with this post, this is what a cop told me.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yeah...I know what you mean...Until about 5 years ago I lived in Cal City by River Oaks Ford. My 19 and 21 year old still live there with my x....so I know the area you are talking about. Pretty bad around State Line to
    I used to work at the Value City over there. One of my co-workers, while out collecting shopping carts, was robbed in the parking lot at gunpoint for his wallet and car keys. I think within a year before or after that, the Gamestop right by there was robbed and the employees were tied up in the back.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Sometimes, if you are actually going to be a real cop and keep the peace instead of watching kids die in a gang fight while you wait for backup, you can't afford to be tactical.

You've just gotta be the biggest (and it ain't about size), baddest, meanest SOB on the street for a few minutes, and never let 'em see you sweat.

It's risky, but it's why we pay 'em the big bucks, and worth remembering when a cop is writing you a nit-noid ticket and you feel the urge to try to crap on his day.

While true, they did stress tact in our training though. Officer safety is paramount.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    My first post here and I have to say yikes! I live in an apt. near there and frequently walk or ride my bike in the summer down that bike trail to cabelas and the park in Munster. I always carry when I do though. Unfortunately I work just north of 165 and ride my bike there when weather permits and cant really carry at work unless cc.

mrmarky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Brazil Indiana
    Bad boys,, Bad boys ,, Wacha gonna do?? Carry HOLLOW POINTS cuz they WILL stop you. ??and they wonder WHY we carry. Thank God for the 2nd amendment!!! Lets (fight)to protect it.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Does officer safety trump civilian safety?

I believe it is... only dealing with suspects. However, citizens should not be reliant on LEO's to always help them. We were stressed time and time again both as military and civilian law enforcement that officer safety is paramount in hostile situations/dealing with subjects.

Last edited:

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Back in the late 80's I was riding with a Gary police officer when a young banger stepped out of an alley and broke a bottle on our squad. The officer kept driving! I asked him why we were not going after the kid. He said, "what? Get killed for a bottle broken on my squad? No thanks."

That taught me that even if the SHTF that the police may still be of no use. God protect our 2nd amendment rights.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Back in the late 80's I was riding with a Gary police officer when a young banger stepped out of an alley and broke a bottle on our squad. The officer kept driving! I asked him why we were not going after the kid. He said, "what? Get killed for a bottle broken on my squad? No thanks."

That taught me that even if the SHTF that the police may still be of no use. God protect our 2nd amendment rights.
    :wow:

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Wow that is pretty messed up. I'm from Hobart/Portage and there are some bad pockets starting to pop up around both cities. It really is heading east more and more. A shame to see really because like spartan said, there really are some nice looking homes and what not up there, and its becoming ****.

What areas of Hobart and Portage are bad? I'm in Hammond now but looking at real estate in Hobart and considering Portage as well.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    That is why I live so far south. I'll take my 40 minute drive to Cabela's and my 25 minute drive to the grocery store.

Prometheus! Move south! You'll be closer to jp too:)

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    Unfortunately ... yes.

It sucks but citizens (civilian sounds degrading) should not be reliant on LEO's to always help them. They will watch their back and the back of their force counterparts before a citizen. That's why we (citizens) gotta watch our own back and the backs of other citizens. We were stressed time and time again both as military and civilian law enforcement that officer safety is paramount. Paramount is defined as supreme.

Actually, if an officer would not give their life to save mine (being the citizen civilian that I am), then they should not be an officer. Otherwise hell, why did all those leos and firefighters die in 911. They should have just watched their own back?

Top Bottom