• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    .357 Sig compact which was I believe brand new. First round and the shooter was standing there shaking his hand.

Mag vented out the bottom and plugs were blown out of grip.

Case was severely bulged all the way around to about 3/32nds of an inch up the side of the casing. Case had ruptured along the lower unsupported area.

Ammo was commercial reloads.

The way the case was bulged all the way around, it appeared to me that the gun fired while approximately 1/8th of an inch out of battery.

I know the owner and will get pics if I get a chance.

Best,

Joe

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    Sounds like a remanufactured ammo issue. Best to buy premium ammo, or load your own. I'm not a big Glock fan, but this isn't what Glocks do. The .357 Sig round is already hot, just sounds like an issue in the remanufacturing process.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    .357 Sig compact which was I believe brand new. First round and the shooter was standing there shaking his hand.

Case was severely bulged all the way around to about 3/32nds of an inch up the side of the casing. Case had ruptured along the lower unsupported area.

The way the case was bulged all the way around, it appeared to me that the gun fired while approximately 1/8th of an inch out of battery.

Best,

Joe

You never said... How's your friends hand ?

Sure didn't like hearing this. The G32 is what I carry and shoot often.

You could be on to something about firing out of battery. I know that the crimp die in the Lee (3) die set puts pressure downward as it crimps and if a case just a few thousandths longer then the rest slips in, it will buckle the shoulder just enough that it won't chamber fully. Initially, I would find this a few times out of every 100 I would load. Going to the Lee factory crimp die using the collet type crimp, totally eliminated this possibility.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    OK I will sell all my Glocks now

You are telling me a device designed to ignite an explosive charge and propel a projectile at great speed could possibly be dangerous. OK now I'm selling all my guns before I shoot my eye out.

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    I wonder what the actual percentage of Glocks/or any other manufacturer actually malfunction in this manner? seems to be alot of glock threads about this but there has to be others...I've owned many different glocks,never a problem with any of them. Granted i've always used new ammo,but never a hiccup.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

Best,

Joe

It must of shot out of battery, I've seen that happen 3 times, but all 3 times it was a KEL-TEC SUB 2000 rifle.:noway:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Glock does have a slightly "unsupported chamber" which allows for greater liability and faster cycling of the action. Probably more likely that the casing was weak from being a reload, and the expanding gases took advantage of that weak spot in the casing.

This probably would've pulled the casing slightly further out of the chamber as it swelled, which would make it look like it had fired while out of battery.

Just my two cents; and I'm not an expert by any means.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Sounds like maybe a hot load to me. I would haver your friend contact the manufacturer, they might pay for the damage to the gun. Legit ammo companies will do that, not sure about re-manufactured stuff though??

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Glocks won't fire out of battery, will they?

Fire ? I don't know. But I do know there is a point the striker will hit the primer even if not fully in battery. I saw this with a after market barrel in 9mm that was short chambered and I was using 124gr Missouri small ball cast bullet that the ogive was just hitting the rifling. The striker did hit the primer, but was a light strike. Ever since I saw this, I use the actual barrel I will be using as my gage, rather than the Lyman gage I had previously used.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I would imaging that any reputable ammunition manufacturer would cover any damages incurred from their error.

I've done some testing with 357 SIG, and its a difficult round to manufacture. Also, if the firearm had trouble going into battery, I would think it would be a case sizing issue, not a charging / powder issue. From the testing I've done on Glocks chambered in 357 Sig, I find that if there is an issue with the case sizing, they won't go into battery and won't fire.

Just my experience.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Also, if the firearm had trouble going into battery, I would think it would be a case sizing issue, not a charging / powder issue. From the testing I've done on Glocks chambered in 357 Sigs, I find that if there is an issue with the case sizing, they won't go into battery and won't fire.

Just my experience.

I'm sure your right. If not going into battery it wouldn't be a charging issue. I will add (1) thing. I am only familiar with Lee dies in that caliber, but I would think it more likely be a crimping issue than a sizing. In the (3) die set from Lee, their crimp die applies pressure downward while crimping. With that short neck, a case just a few thousandth's longer than what the die was set for will buckle the case just enough it will keep the weapon from going into battery. This buckle is very subtle, and you wont see it with your eyes. Drop the round into the chamber, and you will see it doesn't seat flush or below the hood. I was finding this 3-4 times out of every 100, and I was only seeing .003-.005 difference in case length. Adding their collet type die that applies pressure from the sides, totally eliminated this issue.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    My retired Ranger friend, vetern of Granada and Somalia, sez: If you rely on a Glock, you may contract Glockcoma. He is a Glock, Sig and H&K armorer and a full auto expert. His preferance is Sig. I tend to take advice from someone with actual combat experiance.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The only time I ever saw a glock bang and lock up was with a .45 and the guy shot lead bullets. Glock told him it was his fault for using lead bullets. I would contact both Glock and the ammo company.

Top Bottom