• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I went to buy my XD40SC today. I had my 13-month old on my arm and was surprised the shop smelled of smoke. It wasn't awful so I talked to the counter guy and was going to buy it after comparing a few models. Then I see someone who I assumed was the owner light up across the counter from us.

I told the sales guy it's likely his shop and he can smoke if he wants, but to do so in proximity to my child cost him a $500 sale.

I'm not naming names since He didn't do anything wrong, but just an odd way to run a business in today's environment.

I'll now spend money at Bud's and not keep the $$ local. Oh well, I tried.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Totally misleading title. Kids getting in the way of a good firearm purchase, that's a rookie mistake, ya hate to see that.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Actually, my child gave me a better understanding of the shop than I ever would have had without him.

I do agree that having him with me made evaluating the gun difficult. One handed is not the way to do it. Won't bring toddlers again, but I'm glad I did today.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I went to buy my XD40SC today. I had my 13-month old on my arm and was surprised the shop smelled of smoke. It wasn't awful so I talked to the counter guy and was going to buy it after comparing a few models. Then I see someone who I assumed was the owner light up across the counter from us.

I told the sales guy it's likely his shop and he can smoke if he wants, but to do so in proximity to my child cost him a $500 sale.

I'm not naming names since He didn't do anything wrong, but just an odd way to run a business in today's environment.

I'll now spend money at Bud's and not keep the $$ local. Oh well, I tried.

Since, as you state, he didn't do anything wrong... why make a post about it? :dunno:

Obviously, you think he did do something wrong. At least come out and say it, instead of this nonsense.

You can choose to spend your money anyway you like, and you are correct this probably does hurt his business from time to time. Did you at least say something to him, or just retreat to the internets???

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Their house, their rules.

That said, I also avoid some shops. At least one I know of reeks like an old ashtray, so I don't bother with it much. Others are run differently, so I visit more often. To each their own.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Gun shops are strange, and more than any other retail industry, seem to reflect the personality of the shop owner. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes it's not such a good thing. I think in general that is changing as the demographic of gun owners is becoming more and more broad, but it's a slow process.

Camera stores used to be the same way, but with no local (FFL) requirement for purchases, they lost out the internet and went the way of the dinosaur.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Not going to defend the man, but my guess is he didn't even think about a kid. He probably smoked around his kids and smokes everyday in his shop, my bet is also in however long he has owned his shop he can count on his fingers how many toddlers have been in there. I can tell you that lighting a cig is second nature I did it until 2 months ago

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I also feel you could have at least said something to him. I'm sure if you asked him politely to not smoke around your child would have done the trick and probably made more of an impression than just storming out of the shop.

Business owners are used to dealing with people who storm out after not getting their way, but they don't always encounter someone who's willing to be polite about the situation and make a simple request in the health of their child. I'm sure he would have seen where you were coming from and put it out immediately. If not, you could have shown him that by not putting it out after being asked politely will cost him a sale.

Just something to think about if you ever run into another occasion such as this. $0.02

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Since, as you state, he didn't do anything wrong... why make a post about it? :dunno:

Obviously, you think he did do something wrong. At least come out and say it, instead of this nonsense.

You can choose to spend your money anyway you like, and you are correct this probably does hurt his business from time to time. Did you at least say something to him, or just retreat to the internets???

He heard my conversation Quite clearly I'm sure.

I'm trying to highlight to other small business owners that they lose clients based on events like this. Not retreating, they knew my position before I left.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    His shop. His rights.
    It's your choice not to spend money there.

Which is exactly what I told them and this post.

Let's not assume that I "stormed out after not getting my way". You people are reacting the same way you bash the public for saying "the nutjob had a gun on his hip".

I said my peace and left the store. Wasn't mad, rude, impolite. I stated fact and departed.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Which is exactly what I told them and this post.

Let's not assume that I "stormed out after not getting my way". You people are reacting the same way you bash the public for saying "the nutjob had a gun on his hip".

I said my peace and left the store. Wasn't mad, rude, impolite. I stated fact and departed.

What? I thought the discourse so far has been civil at worst, mostly agreeable at best.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You are free to shop where you would like.
    If you don't like the environment, don't go in.
    He may have second thoughts about the conversation.
    But....
    More than likely he will handle it like me.

I do have to say, being a business owner, that if a customer came
    in and gave me a "talking to" about what they think I should be doing in my business,
    (MY business that I work my ass off and am totally responsible for)
    I would show them the door before they had a chance to finish.
    But, I'm kind of like that I guess.

:dunno:

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    You people are reacting the same way you bash the public for saying "the nutjob had a gun on his hip".

no we would then have had to have called you an idiot for brining a kid to a gun store, where one could jump out of the case and shoot him.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What? I thought the discourse so far has been civil at worst, mostly agreeable at best.

Just pointing out some people claim a behavior happened and then bash the person based on the action they were inferred to have done. Similar to Evansville zoo patron being callee all sorts of things for peacably standing at the zoo

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I grew up in a time when many people smoked in a great many places.
    My mom even smoked til I was in 5th grade.

I don't smoke myself, but don't "go to pieces" if I find myself in the vicinity of somebody who smokes.

If it had been me,
    IF this gun shop was a good shop with polite competent people who stand by what they sell, sell at good prices, and their only "crime" was the owner smokes cigarettes I would give them my business.

If I don't want my kid to be around somebody who smokes cigarettes, I would make a note to myself not to take them with me.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Just pointing out some people claim a behavior happened and then bash the person based on the action they were inferred to have done. Similar to Evansville zoo patron being callee all sorts of things for peacably standing at the zoo

I didn't see any bashing prior to your complaint.

Top Bottom