Saw some cool things at a supplier visit yesterday!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yesterday I travelled to a supplier in Chicago that we're quoting to make some difficult engine parts for one of the engines I'm responsible for. The purpose of the visit was to evaluate there capability to make these difficult parts, which required some very precise tolerances, difficult heat treat process, and very fine surface finish.

During the plant tour one of the engineers leading the tour was showing me samples of different components they make. He picked up a fairly small part, and said "this is a gas valve we make for Sig Sauer." I immediately recognized it as the gas valve for the Sig 516/556 type of rifle.

I told the engineer I knew what it was and he said "really? - Than I need to show you some other stuff." We went on to look at a variety of machines that make barrel extensions for a variety of well known AR manufactures, including some military contractors, parts for the M249 SAW, flash hiders for a variety of companies, and even some of the new AAC suppressor mounts and suppressors!

Turns out that in addition to making a lot of diesel engine parts, they also have class 7 FFL to make gun parts as a new growth area of the business.

Despite volunteering to take home a few "samples" for further engineering testing, I left empty handed. :crying: However, all for the best since if I had gotten any goodies it probably could have been construed as a bribe for the business, not to mention possibly illegal.

Anyhow, it was pretty neat to see how some of those parts are made, especially the AAC suppressors. :rockwoot: Oh, and yeah, I think they have a pretty good chance of making the complex engine parts we were having them quote, too. ;)

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    I actually work for a supplier to heat treats and one of our local heat treats runs links for Abrams treads on a daily basis. We also supply the manufacturers as well. Sent a couple quotes out to Smith & Wesson last week.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    As an appraiser, I get to see some cool stuff once in a great while. Been through the Ameriqual plant a few times, watching MERE's being made. A while back I was touring a large manufacturing facility and happened to look down into a large open box. It was filled with hundreds of magazines for S&W Sigma 9mm's. They had sub-contracted to produce mags and had a small line set up. It was neat to walk down the line and see the mags at each stage of production. Alas, no samples were offered.

Top Bottom