Saw something today I have not seen in a while, a Uniformed Officer with a wheel gun

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    I travel for work and I was in Chicago today. Like most of you that have a passion for guns when you see one you check it out. Well today I saw one of Chicago's finest that was carring a 4" SS Ruger Security six. I can't remember the last time that I saw a Wheel gun on a police officer, but it has been a while. I am a huge fan of DA wheel guns, with Colt's being my favorite, but I do own a 4" Securty six that was my g-pa's daily carry gun for as long as I can remember. It is a great weapon, but with most of the local officers carrying more ammo in one mag than this officer did with his gun and 2 speed loaders it really stood out to me.

Is it really that rare or am I just missing these wheel guns still in service? Do we have any local officers that still carry a wheel gun?

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I have seen quite a few Chicago PD officers carry wheel guns. I used to fly out of Midway or O'Hare and there always seemed to be a few officers carrying wheel guns.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Wow, that is unusual, these days!

"Back in the day," semi-autos were scorned and shunned by law enforcement. Now, just the opposite holds.

There are two basic disadvantages to the revolver vs. the semi-auto: number of rounds carried and speed of reloading.

Can't do much about the number of rounds--a revolver will never hold 17 rounds of .38/.357. However, with the S&W model 625 in .45 auto, reloading can be done very quickly with moon clips.

Good to hear that at least one department isn't inherently revolver-phobic!

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Last time I was in New York City, back in April 2010, I saw quite a few NYPD officers in the subway system with revolvers. I'm not sure if they were "reserve" units or just old schoolers.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Why would one of Chicago's finest need to carry a gun? Mayor Daly has made sure that no bad guys can carry. The only things that Chicago LEOs need to carry are pictures of Obama, Oprah and Rod Blagojevich and they'd scare the s... out of any perps. :runaway:

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Interesting, I love double action wheel guns too. That said if I were a beat cop in Chicago, I would have to roll semi-auto .45. :)

If I were a beat cop in chicago I would carry a street sweeper
    images

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    We have 4 CPD officers that come into, or hang around our business location either regularly or semi regularly. None of them has ever fired their weapon in the line of duty. Only 1 of them has ever drawn their weapon. Of the 4, 1 carries a 38, 2 carry 9mm, and the other carries a 45. I will say that the guy carrying the 38 is a real cheapskate.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Last time I was in New York City, back in April 2010, I saw quite a few NYPD officers in the subway system with revolvers. I'm not sure if they were "reserve" units or just old schoolers.

Yeah I know that NYPD officers who were there before thy adopted semi-autos can keep the revolver than they had when they started.
    I dont know how many of those old schoolers are still in service.
    Maybe lots of them switched to semi-autos too.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Still carry S&W M-10, 4in (tapered barrel) while doing Courthouse Security. Had bought it as a backup for M66 357 mag, while on uniform patrol duty. Had G22 for duty (upgrade in 1995) and had to be turned in when retired. I also use black basketweave duty gear for the M-10, Safariland 070 holster, and speedloaders. First type of firearm to qualify at the academy, like a bicycle. Never forgot how to reload or qualify. Don't feel underarmed at all.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Why would one of Chicago's finest need to carry a gun? Mayor Daly has made sure that no bad guys can carry. The only things that Chicago LEOs need to carry are pictures of Obama, Oprah and Rod Blagojevich and they'd scare the s... out of any perps. :runaway:

:rofl: :laugh::laugh::laugh: :rofl: Well said! Rep coming!

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    We have 4 CPD officers that come into, or hang around our business location either regularly or semi regularly. None of them has ever fired their weapon in the line of duty. Only 1 of them has ever drawn their weapon. Of the 4, 1 carries a 38, 2 carry 9mm, and the other carries a 45. I will say that the guy carrying the 38 is a real cheapskate.

I don't understand your comment about the guy carrying the 38 is a real cheapskate. :dunno:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I don't understand your comment about the guy carrying the 38 is a real cheapskate. :dunno:

This guy is a 30 year veteran, and he is still carrying the revolver he was issued when he started with CPD. He keeps saying he wants to upgrade, and he shows me different firearms he would "really like to have" but he never does it because he is not willing to fork our the money. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with wheel guns, as a matter of fact my wife carries one as her EDC. My issue is this guy is obviously not happy with what he carries, has no financial issues, and is unwilling to take the plunge, and upgrade.

You would really have to know him to really understand.

Top Bottom