• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    I was at Class III sales in New Carlisle the other day. I was talking to Ben, the guy behind the counter. As we were talking he pulled up a bucket of "live" ammo that had apparently been Fail To Fire at their indoor range. As he was looking through it he pulled up so 38 Special reloads that were loaded BACKWORDS!!! To top it off the guy had drilled out the center trying to make his own hollow points. There was like 25 of these rounds in the bucket. Aparently he tried to fire these custom loads and found that they don't work so well, and he pitched the rest. :nuts:

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Not me but somebody I know made a jig to perfectly center a 3/32 drill bit on a drill press on .308 FMJ. He inserts the round cuts the tip off the drills them.

I have seen these in action and they do work but since I reload I just buy HP if I want HP. I guess for him using nothing but surplus ammo it is cool.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I was at Class III sales in New Carlisle the other day. I was talking to Ben, the guy behind the counter. As we were talking he pulled up a bucket of "live" ammo that had apparently been Fail To Fire at their indoor range. As he was looking through it he pulled up so 38 Special reloads that were loaded BACKWORDS!!! To top it off the guy had drilled out the center trying to make his own hollow points. There was like 25 of these rounds in the bucket. Aparently he tried to fire these custom loads and found that they don't work so well, and he pitched the rest. :nuts:

Used to be a fairly common practice. Another was to load wadcutters backwards.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    alot of people also load rifle bullets backwards and use really slow urning pistol powder for subsonic shooting.... supposed to give more case capacity when using something like trail boss in a 308 casing... and the bullet going backwards is supposed to keep it from tumbling so quick.... with modern bullet design this practice is kind of slowed but it used to be pretty popular. and still is in some circles.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Yeah, in my short time working there I've seen some ... unusual things. I think they were hollow base wadcutters, the edges were really thin. I can imagine why the guy pitched them on the range. In addition to flying like a drunken cargo pilot, I imagine they shave a generous helping of lead.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I have seen factory ammo new in the box with bullets loaded backwards, primers loaded backwards and even sideways!!, Always check your ammo especially carry ammo.:thumbsup:

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    It just hear say but i've heard that reverse wadcutters are great defensive rounds in 38 special and 357 mag but are illegal to load in Indiana? I've never heard of drilling them to a hollow point but i have heard of a guy loading the backwards with great tests on wet phone books and 5 gal water jugs. Although, now i wonder about the legality of these rounds. Hope its just a rumor, might be fun to load one and see what it does :D

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Loading a rifle bullet does not effect accuracy as much as one would think. I read an article about bullet defects and deformations effecting accuracy in I believe it was Handloader, currently looking for article, and this senerio was included.

I also have seen FMJ bullets loaded backwards, mostly in 30cal, for low velocity pelt and turkey loads.

I will try to find the article and at least get a picture of the group of the backward bullets on here, it will definately surprise you.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    One of the most effective loads in a short barreled gun during the late 60's and early 70's was the wadcutters loaded backwards. Soft lead in mild loads did a good job back then. I would still use it today if I had some and never feel under gunned.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Couldn't help it....Made me think of this
    cidimage0011pt6.jpg

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Yeah, in my short time working there I've seen some ... unusual things. I think they were hollow base wadcutters, the edges were really thin. I can imagine why the guy pitched them on the range. In addition to flying like a drunken cargo pilot, I imagine they shave a generous helping of lead.

Id say you were right. I think I was there that day. They were all in nickel plated Federal brass. :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom