• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Opiates were the only thing that would really work for me. Ibuprofen is anti inflamatory, and a fistful of that would just kind of dent it. They even had me solidly at the dose limit for tramadol before they finally sent me somewhere that would write me for hydrocodone. At least with that I stopped waking up in the middle of the night screaming. I got the oxy after surgery and quit it after a month. I don't think there are any MDs that can write for heroin, but that would have worked. Did you know, heroin was developed by an actual pharmaceutical company that could afford to develop only one at a time? That was Bayer, and heroin bumped aspirin.

Heroin was originally developed as a cough medicine. The name was for how it heroically managed sever coughing.

Aren't there modern opiates/opioids "stronger" or more effective than heroin? Like Fentanyl?

Anyway, when I fighting the worst of my back problems from 1994-2002, narcotics did very little for me. They mostly only made me more docile and less likely to scream because I cared less about how badly it was hurting. The only thing that ever gave me any genuine pain relief was Toradol (IM), which is the mother of all NSAIDs. The downside of Toradol is that you can't use it for more than five days at a time because it's hard on your kidneys.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Heroin was originally developed as a cough medicine. The name was for how it heroically managed sever coughing.

Aren't there modern opiates/opioids "stronger" or more effective than heroin? Like Fentanyl?

Anyway, when I fighting the worst of my back problems from 1994-2002, narcotics did very little for me. They mostly only made me more docile and less likely to scream because I cared less about how badly it was hurting. The only thing that ever gave me any genuine pain relief was Toradol (IM), which is the mother of all NSAIDs. The downside of Toradol is that you can't use it for more than five days at a time because it's hard on your kidneys.

Toradol FTW!

My recent appendix surgery left me with some moderate discomfort for a few days. While in the hospital, I much preferred Toradol to Hydrocodone. I don't like the narcotics, but they do help me rest better. Still, I only took 3 after leaving the hospital. Ibuprofen seemed a lot better at keeping the pain at bay, and didn't come with the side effects. I had the same experience when I had all 4 wisdom teeth out. Ibuprofen was way better than Vicodin. Now obviously I'm not talking about nearly the level of pain others in this thread are experiencing.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I wish you the best results for your surgery, many advances have taken place in the last few years and most surgeries are successful today.

Over 25 years ago part of my left arm and hand went numb. My local MD sent me to a neurosurgeon in Indy. It was found I had a splinter impinging on my spinal cord in my lower neck. Surgeon said I needed to have immediate surgery, that if I had an impact like a slap on my neck I could end up paralyzed from the neck down. So 2 days later he removed the splinter. Had a great day the day after, then one day later extreme pain set in. The pain was so severe I wanted to beat my head against the wall.

The doctors gave me steroids for about 8 weeks. Worked great at the time, but had to stop due to possibility of damage to other parts! Finally the neurosurgeon sent me for a radioactive bone scan, found I had arthritis of the spine in the surgery area! The only thing that worked to alleviate the pain was Oxycontin. He told me I would be on it the rest of my life. I have been using it every since. It is a miracle drug if used properly. I now take about 25 mg a day, just enough to make the pain bearable.

You do get to the point you can ignore most of the pain as long as the edge is taken off the worst. I was in my 50's when the surgery was done, I continued to work as a Manufacturing Engineer until I was 65, retired and now 76 nearing 77. Everyone that is prescribed oxy does not become an addict! It does worry me because there is so much misuse of narcotics that it makes it harder for those of us that rely on it to live normally to continue to obtain it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel

We have different stories, we'd better get them straight before trial. As I understood it, heroin was always for pain, but to be less addictive than morphine. The name came from one of the first test subjects, when asked how it made him feel he said "heroisch". Those Germans! They have a different word for everything! I do know I grew up from small with my mom giving me histadyl EC for coughs. That was codeine, and man, it worked. Toradol does nothing for me. Ibuprofen could dent it, but nothing reduced the pain at all until I got the hydrocodone, then I took oxy for a couple of weeks My mom still thought I was going to be found face down in a gutter, so she was parsimonious. I just wanted them because it hurt. To compare what might be stronger or in development, you have to strip off all the patented and generic names; some of them, like my hydrocodone, was written as norco, but it was just 5mg hydro plus a fistful of acetaminophen, so you have how many marketing names for Tylenol and how many for codeine. There may be stronger ones and one of them named fentanyl, but I don't follow the new ones except the ones the TV commercials force me to follow. I don't have moderate to severe chronic plaque psoriasis, moderate to severe ulcerative colitis or irritable bowel, moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis, and I don't need any of the 3-5 seemingly nearly identical drugs for any of those.

I was thinking of using Dr. Khairi with Goodman Campbell Brain and Spine for my C-4 thru C-6. Any opinions?

Mine was Horn at Goodman Campbell. From what I've seen, first class outfit, and I'd expect any of their people to be top shelf. They'll default to the office across the street from Methodist, but Horn at least has an office at IU North on 31 in Carmel. I don't know if he does surgery there; I plan to ask next I speak with him. Check with Khairi if there is an office closer to you. It may be a lot more convenient.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We have different stories, we'd better get them straight before trial. As I understood it, heroin was always for pain, but to be less addictive than morphine. The name came from one of the first test subjects, when asked how it made him feel he said "heroisch". Those Germans! They have a different word for everything! I do know I grew up from small with my mom giving me histadyl EC for coughs. That was codeine, and man, it worked. Toradol does nothing for me. Ibuprofen could dent it, but nothing reduced the pain at all until I got the hydrocodone, then I took oxy for a couple of weeks My mom still thought I was going to be found face down in a gutter, so she was parsimonious. I just wanted them because it hurt. To compare what might be stronger or in development, you have to strip off all the patented and generic names; some of them, like my hydrocodone, was written as norco, but it was just 5mg hydro plus a fistful of acetaminophen, so you have how many marketing names for Tylenol and how many for codeine. There may be stronger ones and one of them named fentanyl, but I don't follow the new ones except the ones the TV commercials force me to follow. I don't have moderate to severe chronic plaque psoriasis, moderate to severe ulcerative colitis or irritable bowel, moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis, and I don't need any of the 3-5 seemingly nearly identical drugs for any of those.

I suppose the more correct story is that Heroin was first marketed as a cure-all for virtually every respiratory ailment and symptom, including pain.

Re: Toradol - are you referring to the capsules or the IM injection? The capsules are . . . meh. The injections can be like sorcery, but I suppose it depends on the origin of your pain. Mine was from a badly herniated disk.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There was no injection. Heck, it may not even have been toradol, but that sounds right. I just took a bag of trash out to the can, and retrieved my mail with only tiny pain. It was all spam, and only one of them was even addressed to me. All the real pain since I quit the oxy has been in the muscles they cut, so it's like the tired back after a day of gardening. It just doesn't take so long to get to that point. It shall improve.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I got two toradol injections for my back, it was incredible. Got the pills for kidney stones, they worked for me, too. Any opiates, other than morphine, have always made me super nauseous. I had a PCA morphine pump after my back surgery, I don’t know if it actually did anything for the pain because most of my feeling didn’t come back until after I got out of the hospital. I did use it though, because I figured it was the one time I’d have to and I wasn’t going to waste my chance.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There was no injection. Heck, it may not even have been toradol, but that sounds right. I just took a bag of trash out to the can, and retrieved my mail with only tiny pain. It was all spam, and only one of them was even addressed to me. All the real pain since I quit the oxy has been in the muscles they cut, so it's like the tired back after a day of gardening. It just doesn't take so long to get to that point. It shall improve.

Ah! There's the difference. For future reference, if you're ever in a similar situation that's really bad, ask for a Toradol injection.

I got two toradol injections for my back, it was incredible. Got the pills for kidney stones, they worked for me, too. Any opiates, other than morphine, have always made me super nauseous. I had a PCA morphine pump after my back surgery, I don’t know if it actually did anything for the pain because most of my feeling didn’t come back until after I got out of the hospital. I did use it though, because I figured it was the one time I’d have to and I wasn’t going to waste my chance.

If I hadn't experienced it, I might not believe how well it works. For me, a few minutes after the injection, it was like someone threw a switch and my whole body would gradually relax because the pain diminished significantly. I never felt anything like it.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I was thinking of using Dr. Khairi with Goodman Campbell Brain and Spine for my C-4 thru C-6. Any opinions?

My son's pediatric neurosurgeon was part of Goodman-Campbell. She is a world class surgeon, but I would never recommend a whole organization based upon knowledge of one person.

Top Bottom