• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    And if they were only seeking a legal way to protect themselves, their family and possibly other innocent people THEN would OC pass your judgement bar?

Wait, don't answer that... The OCers who don't do it for attention couldn't care less what you think about it.
    That is fine and dandy, then why make an issue on a public forum looking for sympathy and support when they get singled out and made an example of?

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Well since I made it this far, and dont know Doc Brown, nor have a Delorean or a Flux Capacitor, and cant get the last 30 minutes back, I feel compelled to add something....maybe constructive, maybe not.

Personally, I CC 90% of the time. The key word is PERSONALLY. I dont give a rats rear end what you do with yours, and you should give one about what I do with mine.

The OP had every right to do what he did and expect to not be harassed for it. The trouble comes because its more visible, and society, right or wrong, is no longer used to seeing guns OCd. Thats not my fault because I choose not to OC, just as its not his for OCing. The more visible, the more likely some hater is gonna call the 5-0 on you for doing it. Id think in this day and age it would be wise to expect it somewhat and at the least be prepared for it. We train with our guns, or should, in multiple situations, and dealing with encounters should be no different.

The other issue is, there are lots of judgements flying around about the cops that handled the situation.
    So far no-one seems to have posted a transcript of the actual call into 911 that got the ball rolling here, and that link doesnt work.
    Side note: Someone that knows or has it in audio, please take the couple minutes to transcribe the conversation between the dispatcher and the caller
    Ok, since we dont know what was said, how do we know if it was a proper or improper response? (Im leaning towards the latter, BTW, but still, unknown facts about it exist).
    Something else to consider....cops dont always get the luxury the rest of us do. We know EXACTLY who they are when they approach us. They have NO IDEA who we are when approaching us. Ive always done my level best to appear on their side during any encounter, as they generally dont hassle me for no reason....Ive always invited encounters one way or another....or at least when I was more youthful I did. Nowadays, its the odd traffic ticket once every couple years....if that.

Anyway, there are very few who know all the facts here, but quite a few are jumping to conclusions about what happened.

Should a guy get hassled for OCing? OCDLing? Nope. But given the number of cops, the quickness with which they showed up, they obviously werent just hanging around the bridge saying "hey, next guy across here with a drop-leg holster, lets hassle." Somebody called.
    That said, it would seem that SBPD has some issues already and this might be how they run all the time with regard to Man With A Gun calls....I dont know....but enough times of people calling them on it, maybe they too will get the training brochure that Michigan had.

BTW....every time I see MWAG, I always ask myself it those mags are better than MAGPUL. LMAO!!!

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    I agree, the cops went WAY overboard on the whole encounter. But, what precipitated that event? Personally, I don't care if someone carries a frickin bazooka around in the open if they have the proper paper work to support that action. I just don't have the time or patience to deal with the consequences of a overzealous LEO thinking they just found the next big shooter on the loose.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Ok, I got it on the last link.

For some reason they stopped radio traffic. Did anyone else catch that? I know some of the ISP signals, but they are using some odd ones.
    Anyway, the whole bunch of traffic is only 6 minutes....the actual stop had to be a LOT shorter than that, or they cut off a lot of it.

Anyway, my biggest question is still, what was said to the dispatcher originally? Had to be something pretty serious for them to stop all radio traffic...unless thats their standard procedure for any calls involving guns....

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    My feelings also. Every time someone starts a thread about how they where singled out by LEO for OC, I just have to ask, was that the actual intention of the OC in the first place? Seems to me, some of the forum members who OC and are proud of it, are trying to provoke or are looking for some sort of confrontation with LEO or someone else who is armed and will engage in a gun fight. Misplaced old west mentality in a modern era. Why broadcast what you have in the way of protection? Why beg for more flak and a greater push for gun control from a concerned gun wary society? OK, I know the second amendment upside down flag waivers are ready to pounce on me but these are the OC individuals I am referring to in this reply. I believe in the second amendment but I am not going to add fuel to the fire for pundits wanting a weapons bans by provoking incidents such as this one.

^^^THIS^^^ I Agree. Well articulated. I'd give you Rep, but I'm out. :(

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    My feelings also. Every time someone starts a thread about how they where singled out by LEO for OC, I just have to ask, was that the actual intention of the OC in the first place? Seems to me, some of the forum members who OC and are proud of it, are trying to provoke or are looking for some sort of confrontation with LEO or someone else who is armed and will engage in a gun fight. Misplaced old west mentality in a modern era. Why broadcast what you have in the way of protection? Why beg for more flak and a greater push for gun control from a concerned gun wary society? OK, I know the second amendment upside down flag waivers are ready to pounce on me but these are the OC individuals I am referring to in this reply. I believe in the second amendment but I am not going to add fuel to the fire for pundits wanting a weapons bans by provoking incidents such as this one.
    I OC regularly and do so out of comfort and ease more than anything.

If I get stopped, I'll happily show my LTCH and whatnot, although I do not expect it. I've been OCing for over a year and have exactly 0 law enforcement interactions.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I OC regularly and do so out of comfort and ease more than anything.

If I get stopped, I'll happily show my LTCH and whatnot, although I do not expect it. I've been OCing for over a year and have exactly 0 law enforcement interactions.

I had my license since 2008, zero interaction since day one

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

^^^THIS^^^ I Agree. Well articulated. I'd give you Rep, but I'm out. :(

Skywired, he was not stopped for OCing.
    He was stopped for carrying.

That PD has a history of it.
    The fact that you proudly CC is fine with me, I don't care how anyone carries if they're legal.
    But if they can hassle a legally carrying OCer....
    Then they can hassle a legally carrying CCer.

It has nothing to do with OC / CC, other than the frequency of contact.
    CCing is not Invisible Carrying.
    When the PD comes over and points their guns at you and your family for now reason, feel free to not be upset.
    Because the anti-gunner will say, "I don't know what his intention was. If he didn't carry, that wouldn't happen."

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I just told them that my wallet was in my front pocket

That was the part that pissed me off the most he reached into my pocket. I am sure that is out of the probable cause/ reasonable suspicion
    That would most certainly chap me up big time. What the heck would he had done if you had a pocket pistol in there and started grabbing around and set it off? Just seems like you were being judged as guilty until the keystone cops were satisfied you were not. Guns drawn at the low ready? Damn.:n00b:

Top Bottom