• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    What changed since last year when it ran fine?

Only the TTO Muzzle Bralke..

Got home late last nite, completly tool it apart and cleaned it up really good. I will add a xtra power wolf buffer spring and see if that won't slow things down a bit. The bolt at times sees to grab midway on a round in the magazine causing it come flip upwards, jamming it between the bolt and chamber as in the pics above. It is ejecting the fired round just fine, although it's throwing the cases in front of me a mile away about the 2 o'clock position

Plan to shoot it again in a couple of weeks to test

jeffers_mz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, because I have a BAR-10 that does the same thing. Problem IDs as identified so far:

1. Not enough gas.
    1A. Port too small
    1B. Gas tube obstruction (debris)
    1C. Gas tube obstruction (kink)
    1D. Gas tube obstruction (tube/key misalignment)
    1E. Ring containment issue as bolt rotates

2. Buffer spring too powerful

3. Magazine seats too low in magwell, top cartridge not high enough for bolt to catch on way forward
    3A. Magazine spring slow to push next round up

4. Feed lip issue, cartridge "porpoises" as bullet tip rides over magazine front edge, allowing bolt to slip over edge of casing

That's all I've got so far, no solution yet, watching this thread for resolution.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    PROBLEM SOLVED

AKPISTOL.jpg

:rockwoot: :D

Funny, i was thinking the same thing!:D

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    Cleaned her up, had a smith tear it apart piece by piece, could not find anything wrong but did say the buffer spring was pretty heavy. I will put a lighter one in and test it out here in a few days. May just trim a few coils though instead. Also told me to stop using Mobil 1 as a lube and gave me some stuff called Slip 2000 EWL. Heard good things about this oil. Now to pray if works..

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    After trimming a few coils on the buffer spring and installing a BCM extractor spring, had 7 jams out of 200 rounds.. Getting much better, but not quite there yet. And boy, did that freaking thing run hot, could hardly hold it at the end of my shooting session. Gas piston system is looking better and better these days....

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    After trying n trying n trying to get this dang thing to run right.. Decided to give up on her. Ended up parting it out and ran across an new and unfired POF 11.5" Gas Piston Upper with the MMR 9X Rail on a Colorado gun forum. After talking to this guy for a week, I got it shipped for $800.00. This was down from his original asking of $1100. He bought it from POF but then had an unexpect bill come up. Seems like alot of $$ but the POF uppers are going for $1275+. oh well. It should run like a sewing machine. With the money I got for my parts it ended up costing me $500.00 billz.

Thanks again to all that helped !

POF-RRA.jpg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    Yeah the new gun looks good brother, sorry to hear about the old SBR. I have heard those 10.5's can be finicky if they arent dialed in just right. Let us know how the new one shoots!

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    I am having a similiar problem with my Olympic. I beleive it was I that caused it, but it might be a clue to your issue. I messed with my gas block, and had bleed off causing a poorly ejected shell (I understand that's not your issue) and then in the same chamber cycle would jam a new round and crush the case, just like yours shows.

Check our General Firearms Discussion: AR-15 Question, if interested.

I am heading out here shortly to test my rooky fixes.

Good luck with your problem, it is frustrating.

Top Bottom