• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    i have thrown around the idea of investing in some class 3 guns. here on ingo in the classifields there is an m16 for i think 20500 and it has a 10.5 barrel on it. my question is if you have a machine gun thats transfered on a form 4 can you go ahead and put a short barrel on it. or do you also have to register it as a short barrel rifle? right now im happy with semi auto but as i watch the prices of class 3 guns they seem to be good investments,

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I believe the machine gun stamp trumps the SBR stamp. So you don't need "2" stamps for it, just the one. If it were legal to manufacture a machine gun, you could make an SBR length, and a full auto, on just the full auto stamp. I may be mistaken though.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I believe the machine gun stamp trumps the SBR stamp. So you don't need "2" stamps for it, just the one. If it were legal to manufacture a machine gun, you could make an SBR length, and a full auto, on just the full auto stamp. I may be mistaken though.

You are correct. Machine gun basically trumps all. You can put basically any length barrel you would like on your M16 and you'd be fine.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    You are correct. A machine gun may have a short barrel attached with the MG stamp. SBR stamp not needed.

Another thing to note, not applicable on an actual M16, but if you have a lightening link or a DIAS, you can put a short barrel on the rifle in which that item is installed, but if you take out the LL or DIAS, you have to have a SBR stamp to keep that barrel on that rifle.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Machinegun doesn't trump anything.....read the definitions of what makes each type of NFA what it is.
    For a machinegun there is no requirement or limitation on what barrel lengths can be. This means you can have any barrel length on an MG. Yes it is true that if you have a drop in auto sear or lightning link you can use any length barrel on the gun you have it in. This is because the gun is now defined as an MG and not a rifle or pistol. It ends up in the same place as the silly this trumps that discussion but knowing why allows you to see what makes it so ( or not in some cases).
    This is the case for all NFA and title 1 firearms. Read the definitions for each and you'll see what is and isn't allowed and why. Destructive Devices and AOW's also have no limitations or requirements on barrel length and are in the same situation. You can have a streetsweeper shotgun with a 6 inch barrel and a buttstock yet not be required to register as a short barreled shotgun....its a DD. You can have an H&R Handygun with a 12" .22LR barrel and a 12" smoothbore 410 shotgun barrel along with a buttstock. Its neither a short bbled shotgun or a short bbled rifle....its an AOW. Its not because of the registration "trumping" anything. Its because of the legal definition of the firearm.
    Rifles are defined as having a barrel length of at least 16" and shotguns of at least 18" and that is why they must be registered as short barreled rifles or shotguns if they don't meet the legal definition.

Hope that helps
    Frank

Top Bottom