• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    I have a very nice factory AR in 300BLK with a 14.7" barrel and pinned flash hider to be a legal 16", but I would really like to go SBR with it. Is there any legal way to go SBR without having to engrave my trust info on the lower? I could buy a new complete upper or just a new barrel for it, but would really like to avoid engraving, if at all possible. Thanks in advance!

Darren

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If you buy a factory SBR like from a gun store as in a form 4 then no, but if you are the manufacturer i.e. do a form 1 then some engraving is required... I am completely new to the NFA world but this is my understanding and I am sure others will be along shortly.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    If you buy a factory SBR like from a gun store as in a form 4 then no, but if you are the manufacturer i.e. do a form 1 then some engraving is required... I am completely new to the NFA world but this is my understanding and I am sure others will be along shortly.

:+1:

Here's the requirement for engraving. If you just want to avoid engraving the lower specifically you could also engrave the barrel. If you wanted to use multiple SBR uppers on that lower you'd have to get each one engraved also.

1) On the Frame or Receiver the Serial number;

2) on the frame, receiver, or barrel the following additional information;

A)The model;

B)The caliber or gage;

C)Your name or name of the Trust in the case of a Trust (no abbreviations are permitted for the Trust name);

D)The city and state (you can abbreviate the state with the official 2 digit state code)

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    :+1:

Here's the requirement for engraving. If you just want to avoid engraving the lower specifically you could also engrave the barrel. If you wanted to use multiple SBR uppers on that lower you'd have to get each one engraved also.

Didn't really think about that, but if it works, something new for the day I guess... I would get a new lower and engrave before I'd go through engraving multiple uppers though, that would be a pain in the butt!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The engraving isn't really a big deal. There are any number of companies both in Indiana and online that do great work and pretty quick turnaround. They can also engrave in pretty inconspicuous places, like inside the trigger guard.

DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    Thanks everyone, if engraving just the barrel is enough, that is great for me, I wouldn't mind that at all. So I would just form 1 my lower and the replace or cut the barrel and have it engraved once the form 1 is done, I guess.

Darren

DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    Another follow-up, can the trust engraving on the barrel be covered by the handguard, or needs to be visible with the rifle assembled?

Darren

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    If the lower incorporates an integral trigger guard. If your lower requires you to install the trigger guard, it won't count as a proper engraving.

He was probably referring to the area around the trigger on an ar15, as that is a fairly popular spot to have it engraved. It isn't "the trigger guard" however. Yes you are correct though, if someone engraved just the actual trigger guard and it removed from the weapon that is not good.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Any input on the engraving being underneath the handguard?

Thanks again, everyone.

Darren

The engraving has to be "conspicuously placed". If you have to take the handguard off to even see it I don't think it would qualify as "conspicuous".

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    If the lower incorporates an integral trigger guard. If your lower requires you to install the trigger guard, it won't count as a proper engraving.

That's only if you were trying to engrave it on the lower portion of the trigger guard which on most lowers out there is removable and thus wouldn't work. Most people get them engraved on the upper portion of the trigger guard area up by where the trigger comes through the lower receiver.

I did it with mine with only a 1 day turn around and it looks great and isn't very noticeable unless you look for it.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Was LaserScribe the vendor at the last Indy1500 with a booth set up? I'd like to have something done while I wait.

If you can drop it off then take it to Zack @ ZR Tactical in Noblesville. He did a fine job on my Ti form 1 suppressor tube.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Was LaserScribe the vendor at the last Indy1500 with a booth set up? I'd like to have something done while I wait.

If you can drop it off then take it to Zack @ ZR Tactical in Noblesville. He did a fine job on my Ti form 1 suppressor tube.
    I'm pretty sure that was Indy Laser Engraving. I'm fairly certain he's on the westside of Indy. As soon as I get my Form 1 approved I'll be having him engrave my SBS.

Top Bottom