• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    1st, I don't know much of shotguns, played with an 870 and Mossy 500 before, not a fan in shotgun in general.

I wanna get an Form1 12ga. SBS for the cool factor, maybe HD. Friend of mine recommended over/under or side-by-side, but I like capacities.

now, what does the INGO say, Keep it simple with the 2-shoter, pump or semi.

I'm in favor for a semi, but again, I don't know much.

I will get whatever it is, shoot the crap out of it, make sure it runs good for sure before I file the paper.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I played with a short barreled Saiga yesterday and I don't think you could go wrong with one of those... It was SWEET!

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My vote is for the Remington 870. Find an older Police Magnum or Wingmaster and have at it.

DSCN0377_zpsffjoqiul.jpg

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Pretty sweet Phylodog… I like the idea of a 870 PM conversion, but a Saiga 12 would be cool too. I assume the gas system on the Saiga would have to be tuned to work with the shorter barrel?

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Pretty sweet Phylodog… I like the idea of a 870 PM conversion, but a Saiga 12 would be cool too. I assume the gas system on the Saiga would have to be tuned to work with the shorter barrel?

Yep, people have been SBSing them forever so there are several builders that can cut down the gas system for you and have it feed reliably. There was a thread on here a week or so ago with someone that had one that was left hand charging and 8" barrel and it ran like a top even with cheap bird shot. I'll see if I can find it

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    OP: Do you plan to do the work yourself or send it out? If you want to do a Saiga-12, read this thread carefully.
    SBS Technical Info Thread - NFA Section - forum.Saiga-12.com

I'm in the process of SBS'ing one of my S-12s now. I've chopped it to 12" and have added two gas ports for total of six. It cycles buckshot just fine but still finicky on birdshot loads. I will slowly enlarge a couple of ports at a time and re-test until I can get birdshot to cycle. If you want to start going shorter than 12 or maybe 11" then you get into having to move the gas block rearward which is a lot of time, machinery, and talent to do.

Easiest SBS is an 870 and buy a factory 14" barrel. Then once you get your stamp and engrave the gun, you have an SBS after a two minute barrel swap. Picture of two of mine is below that I did this to. You can go as short as 12" on most 870's by just chopping the barrel without having to modify anything else on the gun. The pistol grip AOW below is an example of cutting an 870 down to 12".

I did the Side by Side below in an afternoon. Chopped and squared the barrels by hand, filled in the void left in the front, tapped and threaded for a bead sight and then cold blued a few spots.

Marine%20and%20WM%20Tailgate1_zpsrnlval0h.jpg

SxS%20and%20AOW%201_zpsfz0ao7n6.jpg

Top Bottom