• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Okay, I finally have my side by side 12 gauge, and I'm ready to make it into a short barrel shotgun. I already have an existing trust, but I'm a little foggy on what to do next.

Do I need to get it engraved now or later?
    Which form do I use?
    It's an older model 5100 shotgun, and they were not serialized. Is that going to present an issue filing to make a SBS?

Thanks guys!:ingo:

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Doesn't matter when you engrave it as long as it's before you cut it down.

Form 1 is what you need to submit.

I can't help you with the serial number issue. Somebody should have some insight, though.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Doesn't matter when you engrave it as long as it's before you cut it down.

Form 1 is what you need to submit.

I can't help you with the serial number issue. Somebody should have some insight, though.

Spot on for the first two...

I am in the same boat with the serial number thing though, I know that I've heard about it and I really can't say. Looking to see what the facts are on that actually.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I believe you will need to engrave a serial number on it, since you are technically manufacturing the SBS. Any number of your choice (00001, 007, 8675309, etc).

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bringing back a dead thread to seek more wisdom... Anyone have a specific answer for this?

Thanks!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Since it doesn't have a serial number you will need to create one and have it engraved. You can engrave it before or after you receive the stamp but you have to have the stamp before you do any cutting.

Here's mine:

SBS-3-X2.jpg

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Yep. Guys who start with 80% lower builds for their SBRs just make up a serial number to have engraved on them.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Since it doesn't have a serial number you will need to create one and have it engraved. You can engrave it before or after you receive the stamp but you have to have the stamp before you do any cutting.

Here's mine:

SBS-3-X2.jpg

Thanks! That looks awesome! How short are your barrels? I'm trying to determine how short I can go without being miserable shooting it.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Thanks! That looks awesome! How short are your barrels? I'm trying to determine how short I can go without being miserable shooting it.

Thanks. They are 10". The overall is 18.5" Make sure the stock doesn't have a metal "through rod". If it does then you'll have to shorten and adapt it. Mine was solid wood so it was comparatively easy to cut down and form to what I wanted.

Top Bottom