• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    There are a few variations of AOWs you can get. Keg-12, Serbu Super Shorty, etc...

there are a few class 3 dealers on here that you could ask for specifics

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    OK then, aside from moving, what does it take to own a serbu type? I thought that was a sbs, looks pretty short to me.

It basically is but its classified as an AOW because it's not a shotgun that was cut down. Something about it starting as a bare receiver.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    A Serbu super shorty is classified as AOW until a stock gets put onto it then making the gun into a short barreled shotgun.

Since it has only a pistol grip its classified as AOW

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It's kinda like this. The National Firearms Act includes a "smooth bore pistol" that fires a shotgun shell.

Allegedly, when NFA was being talked about, they were going to include handguns. To avoid people cutting down rifles and shotguns into handguns (which would have been part of NFA and subject to a $200 tax) they added short-barreled rifles and shotguns. They later removed handguns, so that's why SBR's and SBS's are part of NFA.

You can own a pistol that is basically a rifle without a stock (think AR pistol) because it has a rifled barrel. If it has a stock or ever had a stock, you can not make a pistol out of it, it has to be an SBR. Same with shotguns. If it ever had a stock, you can't make it into a pistol, it has to be registered as an SBS. Unlike rifle-bored pistols, smooth bore pistols that fire shotguns shells are regulated under NFA as AOW's and that is basically what a Serbu is, a shotgun shell firing, smooth-bore pistol. Because it isn't and wasn't "designed or redesigned to fire from the shoulder" it is not a shotgun.

Last edited:

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Hang in there guys, there will be a big push this fall to correct the poor language in Indiana Code. We have a very good chance to have SBS within the year.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hang in there guys, there will be a big push this fall to correct the poor language in Indiana Code. We have a very good chance to have SBS within the year.

This is Hope & Change I can believe in! :D

Still sucks that there'll be a $200 charge... *sigh*

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Wonder if we can get the arcane & asinine prohibition on automatic knives and "Chinese throwing stars" repealed....

One would think that THOSE would be easy.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    Wonder if we can get the arcane & asinine prohibition on automatic knives and "Chinese throwing stars" repealed....

One would think that THOSE would be easy.
    Whoa, whoa. Let's not get carried away there. Throwing stars? I live in Gary, man, there are ninjas all over the place. Those bastards gotta be kept in check, let them have shuriken and the streets will run with blood. It'll be just like the Wild West. With ninjas.

Top Bottom