• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How about this one, Kirk (one of about 4 I've read about in the last 5 days)?

An accidental shooting by an untrained New York cop?

Heck, just look at the fistfights that erupt in INGO when you try to explain the Four Rules to people on INGO. Now try that with a New York City cop. "Eye gots common cents."

What do you figure the GJ will do this time? Another no bill seems likely and the union certainly has his back, since they were called before the ambulance.

No bill. It is an accidental homicide.

I fail to see how this is intentionally "bad".

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm sure this is another one of "few" bad cops making all the good ones look bad.

A New York City cop that does not understand firearms is a bad cop? Have you heard Cirillo's stories? From Pat Rogers? Your hair would stand on end listening to how they are trained (or not trained) there.

There are distinctions between the types of homicide. We don't know what happened in that case. We shall see what results, but just because something bad happens does not mean a crime transpired.

NY does have a funky Criminal Negligence statute that is alien to me. Perhaps the grand jury looks to Problem #2 as criminal conduct. I don't know. Wait and see.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    A New York City cop that does not understand firearms is a bad cop? Have you heard Cirillo's stories? From Pat Rogers? Your hair would stand on end listening to how they are trained (or not trained) there.

There are distinctions between the types of homicide. We don't know what happened in that case. We shall see what results, but just because something bad happens does not mean a crime transpired.

NY does have a funky Criminal Negligence statute that is alien to me. Perhaps the grand jury looks to Problem #2 as criminal conduct. I don't know. Wait and see.

So there are NYPD officers that don't understand firearms? That makes me feel better.

Well, I guess using your logic, we can then make a statement about gun owners.
    Accidental Shootings

Big difference between the two is the police officer has received hours specialized training with firearms and he/she carries one for a living.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So there are NYPD officers that don't understand firearms? That makes me feel better.

Big difference between the two is the police officer has received hours specialized training with firearms and he/she carries one for a living.

You made a judgment on a group of people, based on the actions of a few.

Why is that different? And what does the training have to do with it?

It was stated earlier how many LEOs there are.
    So what is the percentage of LEOs behaving badly in the news?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think you would be surprised at how little "specialized training" most officers receive. Similarly, you would be surprised at how many officers ONLY carry when on duty. (Or at least, don't carry much off-duty.)

Echoing a sentiment upthread, I would encourage you to interact more directly and more often with your local police force.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    You made a judgment on a group of people, based on the actions of a few.

Why is that different? And what does the training have to do with it?

It was stated earlier how many LEOs there are.
    So what is the percentage of LEOs behaving badly in the news?

Find such info would be very time consuming but there is this web site
    2010 NPMSRP Police Misconduct Statistical Report -Draft- | PoliceMisconduct.net

Much of it talks about excessive force complains and not proven but there is a section that does show actual convictions of officers sworn to up hold the law.

For a comparison we used data from our National Police Misconduct Statistics and Reporting Project (NPMSRP) which tracked over 8,300 credible reports involving allegations of police misconduct in the US from April of 2009 through December 2010 which involved nearly 11,000 law enforcement officers within those 21 months. Of those reported allegations, only 3,238 resulted in criminal charges against law enforcement officers. Of those 3,238 criminal cases against law enforcement officers in the US, only 1,063 officers were ultimately convicted of those charges or reduced charges associated with the original allegations. Of the law enforcement officers who were ultimately convicted, 36% were ultimately sentenced to spend any time incarcerated and the average length of incarceration for those sentenced to prison or jail was approximately 34.6 months.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    ****ing educate yourself already. Go on a ride along, meet two or three regular officers. Maybe then you'll realize the utter horse**** which flies off of your fingertips on this forum.

so much anger :xmad:..........what are you so angry about.... bad cop got fired ......or do you really think there are no bad cops out there ....... that guys post you are commenting on was very respectable comment anyone would ask . Yet with you anger rage response promote even more......... (us against them) just saying :chillout:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Try being an attorney. :D
    I understand. I've been deposed by some of the best and it was NEVER personal and it never made me mad. I tell people to look at it this way; If it was me who was paying the lawyer to defend me I'd want him/her to be doing the exact same thing. Sure, there are some sleazy lawyers but I agree, it is a profession that is a linchpin to our way of governing.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Find such info would be very time consuming but there is this web site
    2010 NPMSRP Police Misconduct Statistical Report -Draft- | PoliceMisconduct.net

Much of it talks about excessive force complains and not proven but there is a section that does show actual convictions of officers sworn to up hold the law.

For a comparison we used data from our National Police Misconduct Statistics and Reporting Project (NPMSRP) which tracked over 8,300 credible reports involving allegations of police misconduct in the US from April of 2009 through December 2010 which involved nearly 11,000 law enforcement officers within those 21 months. Of those reported allegations, only 3,238 resulted in criminal charges against law enforcement officers. Of those 3,238 criminal cases against law enforcement officers in the US, only 1,063 officers were ultimately convicted of those charges or reduced charges associated with the original allegations. Of the law enforcement officers who were ultimately convicted, 36% were ultimately sentenced to spend any time incarcerated and the average length of incarceration for those sentenced to prison or jail was approximately 34.6 months.
    Out of millions of police/citizen interactions during that same time, you are speaking about a tiny fraction. TINY.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cpp08.pdf

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    so much anger :xmad:..........what are you so angry about.... bad cop got fired ......or do you really think there are no bad cops out there ....... that guys post you are commenting on was very respectable comment anyone would ask . Yet with you anger rage response promote even more......... (us against them) just saying :chillout:

Your definition of very respectable and mine are not even in the same ballpark.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

maybe he's angry, because he and all police, seem to be lumped into one monolithic group in previous posts.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Did you ever pop back into a thread that you thought should have died months ago to see why it was still popping up?

Top Bottom