• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I use/trust/recommend the RCBS 1010 Resolves to .1 grain easily.
    The RCBS 505 is also another to consider and may be a better choice for normal reloading where heavier weights are not frequently weighed. It is also more economical.
    https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=3008&route=C08J154

[url]https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=3009&route=C08J154

[/URL]

Buck69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks. I would prefer digital if I can find one that's accurate and don't drift. I'm currently using my son's medical scale accurate to .001 grams. I'm going to have to give it back shortly.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I use the Dillon beam scale as a backup but primarily use a RCBS Chargemaster digital scale and never had any trouble with getting .001 resolution with it. I constantly check it against the Dillon beam and it always checks out good. You can buy just the RCBS scale separately or with the powder dispenser combo.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Bear in mind that digital scales are more sensitive to temperature change than beam scales. They really don't like it to be cold and take a while to warm up. I reload in my garage so the temperature changes pretty drastically. Therefore I find the beam scale preferable.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    .01 grain ----- ONE HUNDRETH OF A GRAIN !?! That is One 700,000ths of a lb. Just over 1/2 milligram.

For reloading, I think +/- one tenth is as tight as you would ever need. An RCBS 505 will definately get you good readings for +/- one tenth of a grain, even a 502 will. The trick is, at that level even your breath will offset the balance, so you have to protect it from air movement. A simple box over the back, sides, and top will greatly isolate air currents and make it less frustrating to read.

I have worked on a balance that could easily do 1/2 a milligram. It was in a standards lab. It had its own limestone foundation that was 10 feet into the ground seperated from the buildings foundation and floor by an elastomer ring at least a foot thick and had a cabinet around the system where oxygen was evacuated and the sample hung in purified instrument nitrogen. Probably outside of most peoples reloading budget.

Last edited:

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    .01 grain ----- ONE HUNDRETH OF A GRAIN !?! That is One 700,000ths of a lb. Just over 1/2 milligram.

For reloading, I think +/- one tenth is as tight as you would ever need. An RCBS 505 will definately get you good readings for +/- one tenth of a grain, even a 502 will. The trick is, at that level even your breath will offset the balance, so you have to protect it from air movement. A simple box over the back, sides, and top will greatly isolate air currents and make it less frustrating to read.

I have worked on a balance that could easily do 1/2 a milligram. It was in a standards lab. It had its own limestone foundation that was 10 feet into the ground seperated from the buildings foundation and floor by an elastomer ring at least a foot thick and had a cabinet around the system where oxygen was evacuated and the sample hung in purified instrument nitrogen. Probably outside of most peoples reloading budget.

Would be hard to explain to the wife...

Buck69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've worked on equipment and built a clean room for emissions labs, so I'm aware of the scales you describe. The medical scale I use has a top, back, front, and doors on both sides. It's pretty stable and I reload in a conditioned room in the house.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I'm looking for a scale that is accurate and with a resolution of .01 gr. Tried a Dillon and it would drift after 3 or 4 cycles!

Buck69,

I use a Veritas s123 balance. It has a mass resolution of 0.015 gr (1 mg). That is about the best you can do without getting into the analytical balances. :spend:

Linky: Veritas - S123 - $286.00 - Affordablescales.com

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

45Guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I use the RCBS Charge Master 1500 and check it against other scales. It has been 99% on the money and when it is not it alerts you that it has a issue, which is then very to reset.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Here's what I've been using and pretty happy with it so far. It seems very consistant and sets up quickly and easily.
    Pro 500 Scale from Lyman

A Precision Beam Scale at an Affordable Price
    Pro 500 Scales offers precision accuracy on a high impact styrene base. Features extra large leveling wheel, dual agate bearings and large dampener. Zeros in seconds. Accurate to 1/10 grain. 500 grain capacity.
    WEIGHT: 1 lb

pro_500.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Something else to consider:

Leave your electronic balances ON. And don't move them. Make danged sure they're level - and, if you can, isolated from the rest of your reloading bench. Pulling those action levers on presses can certainly give an electronic balance some bad juju.

Look into the possibility of getting an anti-static device to keep near your balance, too.

-J-

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    I use the chargemaster too, but there are times when it acts up on me and I'm not always sure why. Most of the time it works great though.

Top Bottom