• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Thanks, this is good info. I confirmed without a shadow of a doubt I need a little more "umph" in my arsenal this weekend. My poor old light A5 didn't quite have the reach to communicate with some geese that were above my head. Tough shot for me any way, but I wasn't going back out and it was almost dark.

This is the first I've heard of the bennelli click, but now that you mention it, my old 1201FP did the same thing as what you described. Might start checking out gas guns because of this. I'd love a benelli, but man are they $$$

I'd read that any bumps or jarring of the shotgun can lead to this so I got in the habit of retracting my bolt and letting it slam home periodically which did seem to reduce but not eliminate the problem completely. It was always the first shot only, the other 2 always fired perfectly, and it wasn't a huge issue for waterfowl hunting as long as I remembered to retract and release the bolt before taking a shot.

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I'd read that any bumps or jarring of the shotgun can lead to this so I got in the habit of retracting my bolt and letting it slam home periodically which did seem to reduce but not eliminate the problem completely. It was always the first shot only, the other 2 always fired perfectly, and it wasn't a huge issue for waterfowl hunting as long as I remembered to retract and release the bolt before taking a shot.

This would actually make me furious in the field. Specifically because, despite the weapon type, my default remedial action on any firearm is tap-rack-bang. So I'd instantly lose a shell.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    This would actually make me furious in the field. Specifically because, despite the weapon type, my default remedial action on any firearm is tap-rack-bang. So I'd instantly lose a shell.

On a $1000+ gun I would definitely be furious, on a $300 gun its merely a nuisance and a lesson. Several shells were lost before I learned to only partially rack the bolt... a few more were lost when I was in a hurry and forgot to stop at a partial rack.

TitanUp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2020
    Carmel
    I have a stoeger I purchased years ago and I’ve used and abused it and it has yet to let me down. It literally owes me nothing at this point if it ever finally stops working. At that point I’ll just go out a buy a new one and hope I get as much use out of that one too.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a stoeger I purchased years ago and I’ve used and abused it and it has yet to let me down. It literally owes me nothing at this point if it ever finally stops working. At that point I’ll just go out a buy a new one and hope I get as much use out of that one too.

Which Stoeger do you have?

Indy_Hunter68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Greenfield
    I recently bought a Dickinson Impala. Semi auto 12, 28” ported barrel. Camo synthetic stock. 5 chokes. Purchased from Highsmith Guns in Greenfield. Sub $600 brand new.
    so far I love it. Used on 2 rabbit hunts, and just some shooting to break it in. Turkish made, pretty much a clone of the inertia drive Benelli.
    Decided on this due to the Girsan being hard to find. Mainly bought it for turkey hunting, and one day hoping to waterfowl hunt too.
    I already own another Turkish semi auto ‘clone’ of a CZ 20 ga. Have yet to have an issue with either gun.

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I ended up finding a "used" Winchester SX4 for $525. Unfired in the box. Was a bit too good to pass up on and ended up getting a little extra $$ from some OT to make up the difference in what I wanted to spend.

It all worked out in the end. Excited to pattern for turkeys coming up in a couple months.

Top Bottom