• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Unfortunately, pretty much every one we had at Eagle Creek sucked. The "safety" is in a VERY poor spot (keeps engaging for high hold people), generally doesn't feed well and the triggers are horrible.

Aestetics, they LOOK better than the P11, but general quality, a touch lower (not a fan of the P11 either though... :( ).

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    When I was shopping for my first handgun, I fondled one of those at the 1500 gun show. I went back and fondled it a couple more times, because of how comparatively good it felt in my hand, for a carry gun. Being cautious as I am, I later checked out some gun forums, and realized that the company and the gun were very new and they had a lot of teething problems. That was that, and I never reconsidered one of those. It would be interesting to get a report from you after several thousand rounds.:)

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Unfortunately, pretty much every one we had at Eagle Creek sucked. The "safety" is in a VERY poor spot (keeps engaging for high hold people), generally doesn't feed well and the triggers are horrible.

Aestetics, they LOOK better than the P11, but general quality, a touch lower (not a fan of the P11 either though... :( ).

I shot my uncles the above is spot on. I turned the safety on every shot...no thanks.

rock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    West of Indy
    I have pretty lucky with mine not one ftf,fte in five hundred rounds.Yes the safety problem,called sccy they have a kit for that, I also trimed the lever on the left side.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have pretty lucky with mine not one ftf,fte in five hundred rounds.Yes the safety problem,called sccy they have a kit for that, I also trimed the lever on the left side.

They have an app for that. :):

My only experience with one, lasted 3 shots.

I was at the range with randy from the gun den, and we were testing one out....every 9mm round we tried would get stuck in the chamber and wouldn't fully go into battery.

Sent it back, they said the barrel was out of spec.

What can i say, it's a junky pistol, if you get one that works, be happy, and don't shoot it too much.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I've got a two tone CPX-1 ... and I have mixed feelings on it, so I'll try to give a full summary ... which I've been meaning to do anyway.

PURCHASE:
    I got my SCCY at the June/July (?) Kokomo show. It was at or under 300 out the door. This is 'our' first CF pistol. I have my LTCH (wife will get her's soon) ... I had been carrying a revolver but the hammer spur was putting holes in my cover shirts / jackets ... We went mainly to look, and were mainly looking at Taurus 24/7 Pro C in 9mm - (we were planning for the first / main pair of regular carry guns to be a matched pair). We were also considering the 709 slim as a possibility.

We both like the feel, fit of the grip, the warranty (anyone anywhere anytime), and the 2nd strike capability and the sights (3 dot); and it was about $100 less out the door than the Taurus, and had a 2nd mag included. Also figured if it wasn't as good as we like it becomes a temporary investment and trade-in for what we need later.

My main concern was the DAO trigger (which IS VERY LONG) ... but it is smooth. I am not fond of DAO on ANY gun. The only limitation I know is that it is NOT rated for +P ammo.

CARRY
    :
    The gun is light, without being too light, and seems to balance well. I weight gun, loaded mag +1 , cheap holster and 2nd holster = 32oz.
    The revolver (an old 4" barrel H&R .22LR) with a full cylinder and holster that I had been carrying was 30 oz. and much harder to conceal.
    The SCCY is small enough to slip into a cargo pants pocket, a rear pocket of my jeans, or a jacket pocket (even w/ the picky extender on the mags even in the small holster I have which has a spot for the extra mag, but I usually have a small LED flashlight there.)
    It will not fit in the pocket of a small holster purse ... or rather, it will fit, but good luck drawing it if you'd need too :( ...

The only "Carry Issue" I've had is the magazine release - this gets pressure from the holster when I am in the car and when I get out I must make sure that the magazine is securely inserted - This MAY be more a holster carry position issue than a gun issue. But I was not happy the day I had to go look for the magazine and only had the +1 for half an hour while retracing my steps. (I found it; but I was not happy :xmad:)

SHOOTING:

I have NOT shot it that much yet. (mostly due to TIME and BUDGET - even 9's are expensive to me.) I have a total of about 200 or 250 rounds through it. The DAO trigger pull is very long ... but I think it is smooth and steady.
    First day we had it. I thought it did pretty good. But I haven't fired that many CF pistols either; I do well w/ a .22LR and was very good, at one time w/ a CO2 Pellet pistol (song birds beware :D). I attributed most if the issue to my inexperience. 40 rounds total.
    2nd Trip wasn't good. There were No FTF/FTE problems - but we (wife and I) both did not really like the DAO trigger. That combined with lack of practical experience (meaning sufficient practice to BE a good shot at all). Lots of misses on paper at 7 yd. - only a few hits at 15 yds ... and we didn't even try 25 ... why waste ammo. - Then there was the safety issue. (see heading below) ... total = 120 rounds.
    3rd Trip ... started out BAD ... shooting 25 yd - only a few hits. I was frustrated ... this was holding on a bench. ... got to let my nephew (Marine, now LEO - excellent shot) shoot it. He blasted away the target, and said "it shoot just a little high, and man is that a long trigger" (his carry / duty is a G22) . Then he gave me a second target and I did better - this was at about 7 yds. - on my last magazine - I had the ONLY FTF/FTE issue. A LIVE round from the magazine was partially ejected & stove piped (like it missed the chamber). This was using 147 gr. SD HP rounds as that was all I had left with me that day. (I think when I get more SD rounds, I'm going to try some 115 gr rounds instead.) total =60 rounds ...
    Last Trip ... no issues. shot great ... I think all 50 round, including 10 LEFT handed - were on paper. yes it was only 7 yards, but it was a BIG improvement. enough were 'Center Target" that I think I could have shot at 15, but I had already shot enough for the day (12 ga. slugs. x 25 = ouch :rolleyes:) total = 50 rounds.

SAFETY ISSUE:
    This is actually a two parter with a preface.
    while it is NOT required on a DAO pistol/handgun my wife and I both like the idea of the gun having a safety for various reasons (which I am NOT getting into here) ...
    PART 1. the safety lever is ambidextrous and made of plastic. The original lever split at the point were the screw secured the left side lever into the gun after about a month of carrying it. (and not really having shot it). This may have partially been due to the way I had the safety strap on the holster - putting extra stress on the plastic and pushing the lever past the "SAFE" position on this side of the gun.
    The good news is a new safety lever took less than 5 minutes for me to put in, on the first time i took the gun apart. OH and part took a 3 minute phone call, and 2 days to arrive from the manufacturer. NO CHARGE. ... +1 for warranty and customer service.OH NEW SAFETY - NO ISSUES - and I've carried it daily for 3 months.

PART 2
    . When my wife and I ware at the range for trip 2 ... on almost every shot, the recoil would cause the safety to bump our hand and engage. The shooting process became shoot, safety off, shoot, safety off, ... etc.
    Last trip to the range - I had NO ISSUES. NONE. Even Left handed.
    So I am thinking this may be me - or may be me needing to figure out the grip. (and learning to shoot! :n00b:)

(SIDE NOTE: $20 to SCCY gets you a kit to remove the safety, if you are interested.)

OVERALL COMPARISON: I have not fired enough other CF pistols (nephew's glock and .357 revolver a few times) to make a GREAT comparison; but since I've had the issues - I have been 'Fondling' and dry-firing any and all kinds of pistols. - the most common camparison would be to the Kel-Tec P-11 which is almost the identical gun. I did not like the P11's grip feel and I thought the trigger was VERY rough, just as long and heavier on the one I tried as compared to my SCCY. I've tried other SA/DA guns and found that many have a better DA trigger, but a few (P11, and S&W Sigma) had a worse trigger. (oh and I really want a Kimber, if anyone wants to be Santa ;))

The recoil for me is not bad; I do not mind it. My wife shot about 50 or 70 rounds when we went ... and that was about all she could do. she has carpel tunnel, and this is part of why we like the Taurus 24/7 - it has a smooth / rubbery grip and a little more weight. (It is also why she does not want a smaller gun!!!)

I am NOT thrilled with some aspects - but these may be more 'ME' issues t this time than "GUN" issues. Overall, if I can continue to improve shooting it, and do not have issues w/ engaging the safety - then, I think it is fine small carry / personal protection weapon - at reasonable distances and for a reasonable price. Would I buy it again ... I'm not sure ... but probably.

:twocents:

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I bought a used one a year or so ago and I shot a mag through it and had 3 FTF. I ended selling it to a friend who said he would give it a try. He had FTF also and sent the gun back. After getting it back I rebought it and fired 200 rounds flawless but the factory said not to fire Remington ammo becase it had hard primers:dunno:. I did have the safety engage twice which was really annoying. I would not buy one again unless the price was really good.

TheGunDen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Shelbyville IN
    I am sure in the owners manual it states to shoot only Federal ammo. If you like to work on your gun alot, this gun is awesome!! We shot 3-4 rounds and every shot stuck in the barrel. I had to wait to get home, take gun apart, jam something in the barrel to get the bullet out that did not fire or eject out of this gun. I would stay away from these at all cost.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I am sure in the owners manual it states to shoot only Federal ammo. If you like to work on your gun alot, this gun is awesome!! We shot 3-4 rounds and every shot stuck in the barrel. I had to wait to get home, take gun apart, jam something in the barrel to get the bullet out that did not fire or eject out of this gun. I would stay away from these at all cost.

Oh thats right.. they stuck in the barrel didnt they LOL. I forgot about that.

It was a POS.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Like with every single Keltec release, Skyy (Sccy) had some first run issues. It's to be expected, they are cheap guns.In my experience with both the P11 and CPX I will say the CPX is significantly better. Both in fit, finish and reliability. That said, it's a cheahp handgun. My P11 had a lot issues, even after it's trip to the factory. I was glad when I sold it.My wife got a CPX because she wanted a 9mm for her smaller handbags. It's been a very good gun and there haven't been any ftf's or fte's in about 250 rounds, which isn't much. Keep in mind, these aren't guns you run thousands of rounds thru, IMO anyway. Keltec has even said they are 3,000 round guns. At least Sccy has a lifetime any owner warranty."cause poor people need guns too" That should be both their motto's. Not trying to be mean, but it's the reality of it.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    After Hunting is done (does that ever really happen?) ... I should get to run more rounds through mine and i will try to do a follow-up. 3000 rounds doesn't seem like that many to me. ... not if we're saying it takes 250 or 300 to really break in the gun. ... more later (but way later.) ...

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    After Hunting is done (does that ever really happen?) ... I should get to run more rounds through mine and i will try to do a follow-up. 3000 rounds doesn't seem like that many to me. ... not if we're saying it takes 250 or 300 to really break in the gun. ... more later (but way later.) ...

I'd just like to point out that if a gun needs time to "break in", it's a flawed product the factory is releasing.

#1 There are rough edges and burs that require firing to remove them.

#2 the metal is so crappy that it "only" takes 200~ rounds for that metal to sufficently wear down in order to correct the inital problems.

I could list them all again, but for brevities sake I'll simply reitterate that a properly machine firearms doesn't need a breakin period. Yes, that means most Kimbers are in the same class as the keltec and skyy when they are released as well. Sorry for the 'bad news'.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying you shouldn't put a few hundred rounds thru a carry gun before you can trust it, I'm simply saying that if it takes a couple hundred to break it in so it functions properly, it was release from the factory with very poor QC.... and keltec is the worst of the bunch IMO. Heck the RFB is a perfect example, how do you miss turning out rifles without a threaded barrel and the corresponding break/suppressor, lol... not counting all the other issues. I don't want to derail this thread, if your curious, start another post.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Skyy CPX1 that I bought years ago at a gun show. It is in the first 700 made. I handled it quite a bit at the show and really liked the way it felt in the hand. I liked the size of it and the way it looked too. I already owned several handguns that are 100% reliable so that is the only reason I took the chance and bought it. My first couple range trips were pretty dissapointing, lots of failures to feed. I took it and some ammo to my gunsmith and he had it for about a week and did a little work here and there on it (sorry, don't really remember what all he did). Since I got it back I put about 1000 rounds through it with no problems. Like I said, the only reason I bought it was because I already had several reliable handguns already. If this will be your first purchase or something you were considering for carry I would advise against it. I have had better luck than most other owners that I have talked to. For the price of a Sccy there are many more options out there from other manufacturers that are much more proven with reliability.

Top Bottom