• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big12Inch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    So I moved back to the Big IN about a year ago from Florida...don't ask me why?!?!

There is a group similar to INGO down there and 1 of the BEST things we did was put together a thread about Scenarios that may happen to us specifically...

Thus the Hurricane topic was addressed, FL becoming the next CUBA, etc.

I would like to do the same here...mainly because I can't think about much more than tornados, earthquakes, and or nuclear fallout...

Of course there is always the threat of zombies but it looks like there is a thread for that already so lets keep that over there...

Anybody have any ideas on real SHTF scenarios we could be affected by here?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    One of the biggest that I worry about is Civil unrest. I live within a stone's throw of Plainfield Correctional Facility, and that's always a big concern with me.. even with the Police Station being between me and them.

Of course, the biggest in Indiana are weather related, but lets not forget that we hold one of the largest ammo depots for the US Military in Southern Indiana.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Of course, the biggest in Indiana are weather related, but lets not forget that we hold one of the largest ammo depots for the US Military in Southern Indiana.

Something that always raises the hair on the back of my neck is when I hear news reports regarding Crane Naval Base.

Its an often forgotten about facility, that strangely still has a ton of security. It could very well be a target, considering its history....chem/missile depot, labeled a high radiation risk area etc.

From the stories I've heard just covering the amount of VX they have stored there concerns the HELL out of me. If any of you have ever had any NBC training you probably know what I'm talking about.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Next big scare IMO is going to Avian Flu, its not a question of if, but a question of when it mutates and starts to infect humans. Mortality rates I have seen will be around 60%. The hospitals in the state have 10% of their beds unoccupied. Those will fill up really quick, and the feds wont really be able to step in and help the state out either. Scary stuff.

Big12Inch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    ? to WTF

Can you educate me a little? When you say the Agent will be neutralized what are you referring to?

Come August the Agent will be all neutralized at Newport. I've heard too much about the depot and base, since I've been working here.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    We mix the agent with sodium hydroxide to make a caustic solution. The solution is tested to see if the bonds and stabilizers have broken up so that the agent is no longer chemical agent VX. This neutralized caustic solution is then shipped to a site where it is burned off. As of today we are 86% complete with the campaign, and it is looking like August 2008 we will be at 100%.

The only reason there is still VX at Newport is because of the law they signed where no chemical weapons could be shipped at all. Newport was the only depot to produce agent VX, so we got stuck with the last lots produced. There is really little to be worried about, the agent at Newport is stored in bulk containers, NONE of it has been placed in muntions at Newport.

As for me, I am the guy plugging the hoses in and draining these contaners. :nuts:

Here is some information about the depot.
    Newport Chemical Depot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Newport Chemical Depot (NECD) - Newport, Indiana - United States Nuclear Forces

A few YouTube Videos on the effects of Nerve Agent VX.
    YouTube - 04-Nerve Agent on Rabbit (Lives)
    YouTube - 04 - Nerve Agent on Rabbit (death)
    YouTube - Nerve gas test2

And for the first and last time, Agent VX is a liquid, NOT A GAS!!! There is no such thing as VX gas!

The movie The Rock is so far off the truth.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Can you educate me a little? When you say the Agent will be neutralized what are you referring to?
    The agent is VX nerve gas. It's been in storage there for years. Hopefully, it's nearly gone by now.

Edit - OOps, sorry, apparently I am a little underinformed.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    It's alright man, the media has most saying gas, oh god it's a gas.

It is a liquid, and I would sit at a table with a bowl full of it and only worry about it spilling. Think this - liquid pesticide, that's how it came about. The Brits stumbled on it and didn't want it, then we said hey let me see that stuff. :D

Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    I have no faith in people after katrina, Im sure it would be better if a major Disaster struck or affected us. But Society as a whole nowdays sucks, How can people sit by and see what happened in the stadium in new orleans and not do anything. I think Ive just now forced my wife to read enough that she gets it that people are the main threat if some catastrophic even happened.

Then the whole Virus or Biological threat scares me to death, Having to make decisions in a split second dealing with strangers and or others to protect your family and self. She is still against me on this topic, she thinks if someone isnt showing signs or effects she would help them.

I guess to sum it up the mindset of alot of society is the government local or state or national will protect/help. and when that fails it goes south pretty quick as recent events show.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have no faith in people after katrina, Im sure it would be better if a major Disaster struck or affected us. But Society as a whole nowdays sucks, How can people sit by and see what happened in the stadium in new orleans and not do anything.

Dude, that is not US. That was a uniquely rotten bunch of people/society/circumstances. As a whole, this country or any given state (maybe not Kalifornia,) would step up and take care of what ever was necessary. Look at NY and a whole lot of others after 911.

Top Bottom