• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I interviewed for a job up in Buffalo a few years ago. I met with a real estate agent up there to show me some of the areas I might be interested in living. Snow, being an obvious concern, I asked her how it's dealt with. She advised that the vast majority of the snow lands south of town because of the lake. North of town got far less. In fact, the day I was there, you could look to the south and there was a big bank of clouds...later that evening, I watched the local news and that area of town got several inches of snow that day.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Simply WoW! Lake affect snow is amazing. My dad is 30 miles west of us and catches the edge of the Lake Michigan snow belt and it usually just misses us. I certainly hope Indiana will not get this type of snow again this winter. Last year just about wore me out.

The next round of photos circulating will be the flooding. That is a lot of water. In addition once the snow on the roofs soaks up some rain there are going to be a lot of roof collapses.

At least after seeing some of these pics my wife will not roll her eyes quite as much when I load up food, water and preps in the car for the Thanksgiving trip.:rolleyes:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    That is crazy! We were watching some of it on TV last night. I mentioned to my husband that they were lucky it wasn't the week of Thanksgiving, or some people would likely be snowed in with annoying relatives. His comment, "Leave it to you to think of that!" Backstory: years ago we had what I refer to as the Christmas from Hell...where it seemed like company would never leave. First a blizzard, then their car broke down, husband tried to take them home, and our truck got hit by a snowplow.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why are all the interiors in those photos from like 1970 and without drywall sometimes? Is there something about Buffalo that stops you from updating or completing your home?

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    thing that kills me is people who are having there back sliding doors shatter. i would think you would atleast remove some of it from that area to relieve stress off the glass??? even if it was only a couple feet away from door.

i talked to my wife about this and am glad i bought a snow blower this year. we would ahve to probably be at it all night just to keep it manageable lol

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We would have to take turns shoveling 24/7, so our 3 dogs could get out to do their business! Other than that, enough food, water & wine, and I'm good! :)

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Why are all the interiors in those photos from like 1970 and without drywall sometimes? Is there something about Buffalo that stops you from updating or completing your home?

We went to Niagara Falls a couple years ago. The all day sightseeing tour we did took us on both sides of the falls. Driving through the US side we saw some large sections of housing where people were just getting by. When I saw the interiors of the homes on the news this week I thought they looked like some of the nicer homes we drove by.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I was only a baby when it happened, but these photos remind me of the photos of the blizzard of '78 here in NE Indiana. We lived on my grandmother's farm in Wells County at that time. My dad says they had to tie ropes from barn to barn so they could get to each barn without getting lost. The drifts were so high, that a BIG 4 wheel drive Versatile tractor (the type that hinge in the middle) which had a V snow blade got stuck in front of my dad's house. They used a pay loader to pull the tractor out. Then they had to use that pay loader to scoop up the snow, back up 1/2 mile to the next intersection, and put it all in a dump truck to haul somewhere else. He said most of the county roads were only 1 lane wide for the rest of the winter. My dad said he remembers that there were still piles of snow in September that year where it was compacted by plows and such.

Top Bottom