• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    My 80 yr old dad was at the Schererville Walmart one morning last week. As he got out of his truck, he was approached by a young man (mid-twenties). The guy walked up to my dad and flashed a huge wad of money. He told my dad that he was on his way to a local church to donate the money and was wondering if my dad would give him a ride to the church. He offered to give my dad $50 cash for the ride. The guy started to walk around to the passenger side to get in my dad's truck (my dad was out of the vehicle already and the truck was locked). My dad told him to get away from the vehicle and to call a cab. The guy looked around and then scurried off into the Walmart. My dad says that the guy never threatened him and didn't say anything after he told him to get away from the truck. There were other people parking nearby when he told the guy to leave.

By the way, he didn't feel there was any reason to call the police or report it since nothing really happened.

I think my dad was about to be hustled, robbed, or worse. Thoughts?

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    Hustled? Yes. Robbed? More than likely. Cowards prey on what they feel is a weak person. I would've been curious to know if he'd approached anyone else there or to know what happened to him?

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Unfortunately, hustled and robbed do sound likely, but he did the right thing scaring the fella off.

Does your dad carry?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    If the young man was going to dole out $50, why wouldn't he save money and call a cab or have a friend drive him. My question would be, "Where is your car?" Schererville Walmart is not exactly a walking destination. Sounds like he did the right thing. Nothing like driving from a location with many people to a possible empty lot.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    No. My dad does not carry. I haven't been able to change that to this date. I'm more concerned with his awareness. Sounds like the guy got the drop on him because my dad couldn't tell me where he came from ... he was there all of a sudden.

My thoughts were that he/they either wanted his truck, get him to his house and clean out any cash, or get him to an ATM.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    it takes a lot to get me p*ssed off but low-life hustlas like that guy really get my blood boiling. I try to cut em off as quickly as possible when they (attempt to) approach me in parking lots, gas stations, etc with their spiel...they can usually tell they won't be able to get one over on me...even at the risk of not loaning $3 for gas to guy who may actually need it I do not give in

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    A call to the store manager and the police might be prudent. If this guy got the drop on someone else later in the day or even at another location they may want to reference the security cameras.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    No. My dad does not carry. I haven't been able to change that to this date. I'm more concerned with his awareness. Sounds like the guy got the drop on him because my dad couldn't tell me where he came from ... he was there all of a sudden.

My thoughts were that he/they either wanted his truck, get him to his house and clean out any cash, or get him to an ATM.

I was thinking ATM too. Someone told me there is a code you can put in and it will give you the money and notify the authority's.

Edit: It appears this code has not been implemented into ATM system.

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Well ... even though nothing criminal happened, it seems everyone agrees with me that the whole thing was fishy at best. I talked to my dad for a long time and got him on board about the whole paying attention thing ... as in looking around long before pulling into a parking spot for starters. It was a good reminder for everyone about being aware.

A call to the store manager and the police might be prudent. If this guy got the drop on someone else later in the day or even at another location they may want to reference the security cameras.

This is the one thing that bothered me about my dad not calling the police or informing store management. If all my dad did was tell the guy to take off, there's nothing to stop him from moving on to the next parking lot and baiting the next elderly person he finds. If Karma finds him/them, they'll find somebody like Rex Applegate.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    For the most part, from many elderly I know, I'm going to say the ATM situation is out. Most carry cash or credit card. It's typically not of their generation.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Please be vigilant with people approaching at a store, gas station, eatery, whatever.

My Mother was well in her 80's, a three man crew pulled in her driveway, with an Unmarked White Van, all wearing hard hats, orange vests, carrying clipboards. They were there to "check her power". while 2 spoke to her, one snuck in her bedroom, rifled her dresser, and got off with approx. $4000 worth of coins, watches, rings.

Your Dad was lucky to avoid the hitchhiker, bad mojo there. Definte a size up/case job for something. Most perps have the fast talk rap, and they keep you busy while robbing you. This happens to Seniors, like crime is drawn to them. Help out, be patient with them, don't let them carry hundreds of cash to be robbed, or hurt.

Top Bottom