School commits 6-year-old to Psych Ward after drawing picture of violent video game

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    A six-year-old student was strapped in an ambulance and sent from school to a psychiatric ward, after his teacher caught him drawing a picture of a violent video game. He was forced to be committed for 72-hours in a mental hospital.

The article says he misses his dad who is serving in the Army overseas. He has been in therapy and wrote that he wanted to die.

L.A School Child Forced Into Psych Ward

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    1. First of all, how does the school district have the authority to lock a child away like that without parental consent?

2. Shouldn't the parent be allowed to take their own child to the therapist or hospital of their choice?

3. Aren't people entitled to due process before being denied their liberty?

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    1. public schools are a mess. And they have been overreaching for years. I can't stand the fact that they have compulsary drug testing

2. Yes

3. Yes

This is getting out of hand. These schools need to reigned in. My dad saved a picture I drew of John Wayne blowing a bad guy's head off when I was about 5 (kindergarten maybe?). Nobody said anything, and that was 20ish years ago.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    not clicking on the thread, but if L.A. is los angeles and no louisiana i'm not suprised at all. they just need to become their own state and ship all the chicago and cook county and d.c. liberals there and let norcal stay apart of the u.s.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    not clicking on the thread, but if L.A. is los angeles and no louisiana i'm not suprised at all. they just need to become their own state and ship all the chicago and cook county and d.c. liberals there and let norcal stay apart of the u.s.

I think its a deeper issue than just the mentality of California crazies. Lets observe this thread and see which INGOers side with the school's actions.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I think its a deeper issue than just the mentality of California crazies. Lets observe this thread and see which INGOers side with the school's actions.

Well somebody posted a thread recently about a 7 year old kid getting arrested for bringing a nerf gun to school.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I know a guy who once had a girlfriend he lived with. They broke up, she moved out. After moving out, in an act revenge, she called the police and told them that she was worried about her boyfriend. She told them that he had alcohol and a knife in his apartment and that she didnt know what he would do...

The knife was a box cutter he used at his job as a lumper. The alcohol was vodka because he was a grown ass man and did as he pleased.

The police went to his pad, slapped the cuffs on and took him to Wishard for a psych evaluation. They held him overnight, against his will for tests and whatnot only to determine that he was fit to look after his own safety.

We arent free. If they want you, they'll just come and take you.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Immediate detention
    I do them quite often. Did not read the link so I withhold my opinion.
    IC 12-26-4
    Chapter 4. Immediate Detention
    IC 12-26-4-1
    Law enforcement officers; authority to apprehend, transport, and charge an individual with a mental illness
    Sec. 1. A law enforcement officer, having reasonable grounds to believe that an individual has a mental illness, is dangerous, and is in immediate need of hospitalization and treatment, may do the following:
    (1) Apprehend and transport the individual to the nearest appropriate facility. The individual may not be transported to a state institution.
    (2) Charge the individual with an offense if applicable.
    As added by P.L.2-1992, SEC.20. Amended by P.L.40-1994, SEC.55; P.L.99-2007, SEC.129.

IC 12-26-4-2
    Law enforcement officers; written statement of reasonable grounds
    Sec. 2. A law enforcement officer who transports an individual to a facility under section 1 of this chapter shall submit to the facility a written statement containing the basis for the officer's conclusion that reasonable grounds exist under this chapter.
    As added by P.L.2-1992, SEC.20.

IC 12-26-4-3
    Law enforcement officers; written statement of reasonable grounds; filing
    Sec. 3. The statement required by section 2 of this chapter shall be filed with both of the following:
    (1) The individual's records at the facility.
    (2) The appropriate court if action relating to any charges filed by the officer against the individual is pursued.

IC 12-26-4-4
    Emergency treatment
    Sec. 4. The superintendent of the facility or a physician may furnish emergency treatment necessary to preserve the health and safety of the individual detained.
    IC 12-26-4-5
    Length of detention
    Sec. 5. Except as provided in section 6 of this chapter, an individual may not be detained under this chapter for more than twenty-four (24) hours from the time of admission to the facility.

IC 12-26-4-6
    Detaining individual for more than 24 hours; emergency detention application
    Sec. 6. If the superintendent or the attending physician believes the individual should be detained for more than twenty-four (24) hours from time of admission to the facility, the superintendent or the physician must have an application filed for emergency detention under IC 12-26-5 immediately upon the earlier of the following:
    (1) A judge becomes available.
    (2) Within seventy-two (72) hours of admission to the facility.
    IC 12-26-4-7
    Discharge
    Sec. 7. An individual detained under this chapter shall be discharged if either the attending physician or superintendent believes detention is no longer necessary.

IC 12-26-4-8
    Detention in addition to detention under IC 12-26-5
    Sec. 8. A period of detention under this chapter is in addition to a period of detention under IC 12-26-5.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Trust me, you should all be glad that the immediate detention law is in effect here in Indiana. I live in Logansport, where we have the State Hospital.

That said, after reading the article, I am appalled. The school should have released the child immediately to his mother after she asked for him and told school officials that she would bring him to his own therapist.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    1. First of all, how does the school district have the authority to lock a child away like that without parental consent?

2. Shouldn't the parent be allowed to take their own child to the therapist or hospital of their choice?

3. Aren't people entitled to due process before being denied their liberty?

Schools cannot lock anyone up. Parents and judges are the only ones with that authority. LEO and MD can hold someone ultimately only under the judges power. Emergency detention orders require a petitioner, an admitting MD and the judges signing the order.

Indiana Code 12-26-5

Being doing this stuff for years unfortunately

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    While I agree that the rather than seek outside intervention...the school probably should have just called mom and allow her to handle the situation. Her kid...her problem.

But I have to wonder...since the 6 year old expressed a desire to die... What would mom's reaction have been if indeed the 6 year old had taken his own life and mom found out the school had prior knowledge of his intentions?

How do you screw a 6 year old up so badly they want to die?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    it seems extreme to me. Seems that calling Mom would have been the first logical step. But who knows, perhaps CA has some goofy law that requires the schools to do this? :dunno: In that case, the blame would fall on the politicians and not the school.

Last edited:

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    My nephew in Indy was forced to go to counseling for drawing ninjas fighting. I've told my son to keep his comic work at home for that reason.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    if a six year old kid expresses that they want to die, I'm thinking the mom may not be the best person to release them too. sounds like she's done a bang up job so far, just saying

Top Bottom