• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Black powder rifles are mostly traditional designs that use real black powder and lead round balls and sometimes pointy bullets. Normally ignited by flint, or a percussion cap.

I have some traditional type buddies that say "nipples are for chicks" and do not acknowledge percussion caps as legitimate. They only endorse flints or match locks.

two70

Master
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Let's get a couple of things clear here. Modern inlines are not black powder rifles. They are muzzleloaders that were designed to use substitute powders and usually fire modern designed projectiles.

Black powder rifles are mostly traditional designs that use real black powder and lead round balls and sometimes pointy bullets. Normally ignited by flint, or a percussion cap.

No I am not against the modern type, but have never understood how anyone could call them BP rifles.

Muzzleloader is the more correct term but more to differentiate between breech loading rifles designed to fire black powder cartridges and muzzle loaders not to differentiate between old and modern muzzleloaders.

I have some traditional type buddies that say "nipples are for chicks" and do not acknowledge percussion caps as legitimate. They only endorse flints or match locks.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to hang around with such heathens that would endorse flintlocks, matchlocks and wheellocks are the only acceptable locks for a real gentleman.

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Two70, I generally don't try to get to that point of hair splitting. To me a muzzleloader is anything that can only be loaded from the muzzle end of the firearm, or in the case of revolvers from the business end of the cylinder and does not used fixed ammunition. And yes there are many examples of rifles and pistols that were designed around BP, and in those instances I have nothing against them being called BP firearms. I even think in the case hunting seasons, that in firearm designed to fire anything other than metallic/plastic cartridges should be allowed in the muzzleloading season.

Modern inlines should not ever be called BP rifles.

amboy49

Master
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    For those interested I have two muzzleloader I no longer shoot. A Knight and a Remington. The Knight is a percussion cap and the Remington is fired with a 209 shotgun shell primer. Both guns are scoped.

I intend on selling both both at a VERY reasonable price. Send me a pm if you'd like more information. I'm located in Boone County.

chubbs

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Take a look at the traditions pursuit line of muzzleloaders. Walmart had them clearanced awhile back along with the rest of their muzzleloaders for the year. $200 on clearance and they will out shoot most shooters.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a couple of Knight Wolverines back in the day.
    While not of "speed breech" type, they were much easier to clean than my TC Renegades, Hawken or New Englander.
    If needing optics.........I'd go inline. A minty stainless wolverine would be my choice, and I'd not even go 209 ignition.
    T7 granulated, or reg Goex FFg and musket cap.
    A scoped inline actually worked so well, it took some of the fun out of muzzleloading.
    More cool, to have the deer coming in, crisp cold morning, and having to cock a sidehammer without spooking the critter.
    Plus sidehammer stuff just looks better.
    Do like the boom and cloud.............the smell...............of just blasting a deer. Hell I can smell the hit of the animal in the air most times at the impact site.
    Do have a good sniffer, so just adds to the experience........enriches it IMHO.
    Sidehammers and snow.............just feels right.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I just got another a CVA Optima w/ Nitride finish. Very nice gun, accurate and easy to clean. I also own a Knight LK93, which is a great in-line that is 19 years old now and taken a few deer. I also own 3 percussion cap traditional guns, of which my favorite is the Lyman Great Plains Rifle Hunter model.
    Here are some tips : Read up on powders and substitutes. Test out different volume loads and don't just get into the "drop 3 pellets" theory, as your gun (and shoulder) may like less powder. Find the right bullet / sabot / conical for that gun that shoots well with the powder load. NEVER put smokeless powder in your gun (unless it is that Savage gun that is made for it).
    Finally : Learn how to clean your gun and clean it well. Blackpowder substitues and the primers cause corrosion. I have shot Pyrodex for years now and found the best cleaning for it was soap/water and rubbing alcohol in hard to reach places. I also learned to use non-petroleum lube in the bore (like a CVA Slickload , BoreButter). Blackhorn 209 powder served me well this deer season and many guys like it. It cleans up different than the other stuff, but you still need to clean it.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I finally got my hands on an Accura V2 LR. This rifle is a whole different animal than my old school sidelock carbines. I love it. 430.00. Check Dick's, Cabela's, and Bass Pro. One of them will have a deal for you. I'm telling you, it's something else. And worth the money.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Jun 2, 2013
    I presently own and shoot the fallowing fully modern inlines:
    <>Savage 10ML-II
    <>Encore 209x50 Magnum Muzzleloader
    <>Knight Extreme

Of the three only the Encore is presently still in production, and unfortunately the Knight Extreme is the one I would most recommend you get, all things considered, and fortunately you can still find quite a few Knights available for sale used but LNIB like I did. Knight Extremes are BH-209 compatible also. I bought a beautiful stainless laminated model a few years back and it shoots great with BH-209. I would also HIGHLY recommend the discontinued Savage 10ML-II as mine is very accurate and has performance that was never equaled by ANY other production muzzleloader but they tend to go for quite ALOT of money now, and my Encore was granted a new lease on life by BH-209, but Encores also are pricey.

You should be able to find a Knight Extreme for between $300-$400 easy. I recommend you at least do a goggle search for Knight Extreme and seriously consider it for your purchase.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Jun 2, 2013
    KNIGHT 4.jpg
    Here is a typical 3-shot 100 yard group for my Knight Extreme in-line ML using BH-209.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Jun 2, 2013
    Oh and for those who think or consider an in-line ML as an ultra modern design, it is not. The concept of an in-line ML is over 300 years old now, Tony Knight was simply the first guy to produce a in-line ML that worked well, then EVERYBODY jumped on the in-line band wagon and Knight became a victim of his own success as others sold cheaper imported that out sold the more expensive USA made Knights.

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Oh and for those who think or consider an in-line ML as an ultra modern design, it is not. The concept of an in-line ML is over 300 years old now, Tony Knight was simply the first guy to produce a in-line ML that worked well, then EVERYBODY jumped on the in-line band wagon and Knight became a victim of his own success as others sold cheaper imported that out sold the more expensive USA made Knights.

You are correct, the in line idea is not a new one. However, modern in lines have about as much in common with the ancient kind as modern cars have with the Model T.

Top Bottom