• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    At current prices, I've found that CCI mini-mags and Winchester Super-X are worth the extra 1 or 2 cents per round - both can be regularly found for $8-9 per 100. More reliable, and the higher velocity works on the plate rack. That said, I've done OK with Remington Golden Bullet, but I clean my guns after each session.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    It's odd you had trouble with aguila. The 22 standard velocity is awesome. Some of the most accurate cheaper ammo out there imo. And most places are running it for like 2.59 a box of 50. If you find a place with good shipping prices it's under 6 cents a round

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It's odd you had trouble with aguila. The 22 standard velocity is awesome. Some of the most accurate cheaper ammo out there imo. And most places are running it for like 2.59 a box of 50. If you find a place with good shipping prices it's under 6 cents a round

I picked up a case of the copper plated Aguila for 6 cents per round or so.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Yeah I just got 3k in the mail myself. I did immediately notice it's no longer eley primed. I love the super extra. I get extremely good results out of my cz with it.

Ran 100 rounds of this new stuff through it today and it's slightly less accurate than the older eley primed stuff. Still on par with cci but not quite what it was.

However it's also 25 a 500 round brick vs the older stuff which was 38-40 a brick so that's probably makes the difference.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    CCI Mini Mag is my favorite .22 ammo but costs a little more.

However, as others have said many .22 rifles and pistols have their own ammo preferences. You have to try different types to find what your gun likes.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    CCI Mini Mag is my favorite .22 ammo but costs a little more.

However, as others have said many .22 rifles and pistols have their own ammo preferences. You have to try different types to find what your gun likes.

Thanks, that's what I've been doing. So far this gun has run most everything well, so I'm pretty please. Have a stash of around 6k rounds of .22 built up now... :):

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    CCI Standard Velocity works well in almost all guns and is accurate. Aguila Standard Velocity, Target, Pistol Match and Rifle Match is also a very good round in most pistols. I really like SK Jagd. Their Standard Plus isn't terribly expensive and if you miss what you are shooting at, it ain't the ammo. There are a lot of lesser types that may work very well in your gun, but may not. It's up to you to try out the other brands. One manufacturer that I steer clear of is Remington. I'm also not a big fan of Winchester. Eley is tops, but carries a premium price tag.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Lots of good info here. I'm breaking in a victory myself and had all kinds of issues with Remington Thunderbolt from the start.

I'm talking dirty nasty gritty residue and lots of FTEject for the first 1-200 rounds. Got some CCI and WinSuperX and had much better results.

Around 700-800 rounds now and and a couple of thorough cleanings and it's even firing the Thunderbolt without a hiccup.

I've had decent results with the armscore hp, and just picked up a box of Geco 22lr semi-automatic to try out next time

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've always had an aversion to 22's. Just not really anything I enjoyed shooting, so I always just avoided them. Recently, the wife wanted a Ruger SR22. We found a good deal on one and picked it up and she's been really happy with it. I shot the gun a few times helping to sight it in for her and I hated it. The trigger is not what I would call good. They're supposed to be very reliable and eat just about any type of 22 ammo without flinching and she loves it, so that's fine. Got me thinking about nice 22's however, so I went looking around. Looked at a S&W Victory at Point Blank and was very impressed with it. Very smooth, crisp and decently light trigger and the fiber optic sights are very easy to see. Found an awesome sale on it at KYgunco and picked it up. I've been very happy with it, but I don't know anything about buying the ammo. That is, I don't know what's good and what isn't. I know everyone talks about CCI mini-mags being great and they seemed to work flawlessly, but I'm looking for ammo that's cheaper, but still decent to run. I bought some Remington Golden Bullet and while very inexpensive, it seems to work fine. Not bad for 6 cents a round. Then I saw some Aguila ammo on sale:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/aguila-superextra-ammo-22-lr-40-grain-hv-sp-p-3436.aspx

Which seems like a good deal, but I have no idea if it's worthwhile or not. So please, school me on what is good and what isn't in the .22 world. Thanks INGO :ingo:

Every .22 is different. If accuracy is the goal, try many brands. I always start the test after the first ten rounds because the different lubes will act differently. Previous lube may make poopy bullets look good or vice-versa.
    For just plinking any cheap std or high velocity ammo should be ok. I quit buying Remington golden bullets because my rate of "will not fire" rounds was terrible in the last two bricks i bought. I have not had what I call good accuracy out of Aguila or Fiocchi in my guns. May shoot fine outta yours. Just gotta try it.
    I'm getting old replied twice to the same thread. :oldwise::oldwise:

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Lots of good info here. I'm breaking in a victory myself and had all kinds of issues with Remington Thunderbolt from the start.

I'm talking dirty nasty gritty residue and lots of FTEject for the first 1-200 rounds. Got some CCI and WinSuperX and had much better results.

Around 700-800 rounds now and and a couple of thorough cleanings and it's even firing the Thunderbolt without a hiccup.

I've had decent results with the armscore hp, and just picked up a box of Geco 22lr semi-automatic to try out next time

Glad to hear you're now getting good results. The Geco ran fine in my Victory, but I didn't like the lube the put on the bullets. Made my fingers greasy feeling every time I loaded a mag. I seem to remember it and the armscor hp functioned fine.

Every .22 is different. If accuracy is the goal, try many brands. I always start the test after the first ten rounds because the different lubes will act differently. Previous lube may make poopy bullets look good or vice-versa.
    For just plinking any cheap std or high velocity ammo should be ok. I quit buying Remington golden bullets because my rate of "will not fire" rounds was terrible in the last two bricks i bought. I have not had what I call good accuracy out of Aguila or Fiocchi in my guns. May shoot fine outta yours. Just gotta try it.
    I'm getting old replied twice to the same thread. :oldwise::oldwise:

Yeah, the golden bullets were not that great. They mostly functioned fine, but more "will not fire" bullets than any other brand I tried. I had a 525 round box that I traded with a buddy for something else because his little Walther P22 ran great with it. My go to ammo right now is the Federal Automatch. Very nearly no issues with it, aside from an occasional round that doesn't fire, but it's .22 so that's to be expected on occasion. Great price, so it makes for very inexpensive plinking and it's as accurate as I need. At 7 - 10 yards I can usually put all 10 rounds in a 2" grouping, sometimes better. Buying anything more expensive wouldn't work for me as I have the Victory for cheap plinking. Feels good knowing that I can go to the range with it and blow through a 325 round box and know that I only burned through $20 - $25 in ammo... :):

Top Bottom