• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I am looking to pick up my first bolt gun. I am torn between a couple of different models and I have no clue what I am looking at. I hope you guys can give me some info and some opinions.

Whats the difference between a Remington 700 and a 770, are Savage's any good?

I am also torn between .308 and 30-06. The .308 ammo is a little cheaper and the actual bullet is the same size. Is there any real disadvantage to .308.

I have no idea what I would use the rifle for. I would most likely just shoot it. Maybe carry it in the trunk of my car. I would just like to have something that give me a long range option. I do not have many long guns at all.

Shotguns, an Ar, and a 10-22, they all have their purpose, now I'm looking for something to fill this purpose...

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    For a trunk gun boltie, you don't need to spend alot. A Mosin-Nagant M44 will fit the bill and you can find ammo for it at Gander Mountain, online, in most local gun shops or at any gun show.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    The 770 is the cheap gun for remington. The 700 is their hall of fame gun. I would get a 700 over a 770 anyday. Savage's are very accurate. I own one. I also own a Remington. I personally like the remington better. If you are just going to do informal target shooting I would get the 308 because of the many different bullet weights and styles out there from manufactures that you can buy and shoot. I think that you need to go to a gun store and fondle a few of them.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    Kick, Savage's are very good rifles.
    You could in theory get more performance out of the 30-06. What you want it for I would go 308. Cheaper practice ammo and lots of great target loadings.

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    remingtons are tried and true with about a million different add-ons and upgrades.I've had many people tell me savages are very accurate, but I personally don't have one. One option to consider is a howa rifle I have 2 and both are very accurate right out of the box and well made draw back is they are metric and not many people work on them.

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Okay, I'll throw my 2 cents in. I think most people choose .308 over 30-06 because you get very similar ballistics, but in a short-action rifle. They're lighter, easier in some ways to build and there's no shortage of all kinds of ammo for them. When folks choose 30-06 over .308, many times it's for the classic, tried-and-true nature of the cartridge (actually a plus for both rounds), and for hunting it's the gold standard for many. It is a long-action caliber, more likely to be found in a hunting configuration, and kicks a little more because the case is longer and narrower. In reality, both cartridges are great for a whole range of applications.

All of the guns mentioned are good choices, but my votes are for Browning A-Bolts or X-Bolts, or Savages. The reason? I like the top-tang safety on both, so that I can shoot offhand from any setting and always have the safety handy, whether I'm shoot right or left handed. I also like the triggers in both, and find their crispness and adjustability to be about the best around in a factory rifle. I prefer the lines of the Browning line better, but both have very nice models for hunting. I think Savage has the advantage in specialized guns (tactical, varmint, etc) with more models and features for each specialty. Either way though, you're looking at a quality rifle that will shoot MOA-or-better groups with either of those cartridges.

I also have a Tikka T3 Lightweight that is pretty spartan, but an EXTREMELY accurate and light/easy to carry rifle. Mine is a .308, and it's maybe the best deer gun I have. It has many of the same features as the Browning -- 60-degree bolt throw, light, crisp trigger, and some design similarities like the safety. Doesn't feel as smooth, though. Shoots 1/2 MOA groups all day long. Only quibble I have with it is the scope mounting approach, using special rings that fit into dovetails in the receiver. Still one of my favorite guns, though.

Hope this helps -- good luck in your search!

Specialized

thescrambler

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I'm definitely a fan of the 308 for what you're talking about. Go with the 308 now and if you decide to get serious into hunting and want something bigger, faster, longer, and higher grain go with a caliber more specific to the game, range, terrain.

Just my $.02

PS I really want one of those Tika T3s but, my list of next guns is too big to add to.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, you are looking for an entry level .30 rifle?

How about a used bolt action? Something like a Ruger M77.

Have a gunsmith inspect it, cut the stock back to 12.5" LOP or less, a solid ghost ring sight (I'm a big fan of XS sights), a Ching or CW sling, and maybe something like that moderately priced Nikon Monarch optic.

I think any rifle should be fine for what you are looking for. The biggest problem I see is that guys buy American rifles that are far too long in the LOP department, making the weapon hard to manipulate (and thus you get the "gun store turn bolt" where guys bring the bolt action down to their belt line while cycling, and, of course, also stick their tongues out).

I believe learning to run a rifle by attending a class is the best way to decide what kind of gun(s) one wants. Allow the software to pick the hardware.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Personally I would skip the .308 and look for a .223 in a Savage. Very accurate and reasonably priced ammo and the rifle is well priced as well. Or in the same rifle a 22-250. Ammo is a bit more but not much and the added velocity will give you another 125-150 yards range.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I'm thinking he wants a trunk mate to his AR for patrol. Something with a bit more punch/range/accuracy. At least that is what I took his line of thinking to be.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Remington 700 action is smoother to operate than the Savage. The Remington has a weaker extractor, as witnessed by failures on the line and all the competition gunsmiths who upgrade the Remington Extractors. If you follow Varmint hunter magazine, you will see that Savage has dominated stock class many times. I have owned a Pre Accu trigger Savage BVSS and a heavy barrel 700 Remington. The Savage was slightly more accurate.
    As far as the .308 vs 30-06, the .308 is tricky at true 1000 yard targets, as it goes subsonic after 900 yards. The 30-06 actually works better, but is out of favor because the International PALMA rules demand 7.62 NATO for competition. Good Luck

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    I went through this dilemma about 2 years ago and had really planned on buying a rem. 700 and building it into a truly long range rifle. I ran across a savage that already had everything done that I wanted to do one such as a new trigger, bigger bolt handle and a more tactical stock. All done at the factory and the accutrigger is great. I really like the h.s. Precision stock too. I am truly amazed a how accurate a rifle can be. I'm not an expert and can place shots consistently in an area the size of a quarter at 300 yds. Looking forward to try her at closer to 1000 yds. That's what I built it for but haven't made the time to go somewhere with that much yardage. I really think I saved myself a lot of money by buying the savage. Good luck.

tsh3406

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    I sold and early model Savage 10FP .308 to buy a Rem 700P in 7mm-08. I love the 7mm-08 over the .308 and .30-06 I had, but I regrat selling the Savage. Thinking of buying another on in the scout configuration. All that said, my favorite truck gun is the Marlin 1895SS or 1894 Cowboy model. They are short, easy to get out of a trunk or door, and make big holes in stuff. Just something for thought.

T

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    As far as the .308 vs 30-06, the .308 is tricky at true 1000 yard targets, as it goes subsonic after 900 yards.

If you are trying to poke targets at 1000 yards with a 308 Win, and the ammo you've elected to use goes subsonic at 900, that is a sign you are in well over your head.

What line do you shoot on where 700 extractor failures are common?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, My ranges are Camp Perry, Camp Atterberry, Camp Grayling, Milan, IL, Oak Ridge Tennesse as well as ranges around Texas, CO, AZ and OK. I shot National match course, registered long range and Palma. In 10 or 12 years of 20 or more state, regional and National competitions per year, you get to see a variety of different things. You will not find many long term Remington Match rifle shooters who have not had to replace the extractor or upgrade it to a sako or other style system. Heck they even sell the kits at brownells.

You know what PALMA is right? It is an international competition between the NATO alliance nations using 7.62 NATO rounds with 155 grain Maximum bullet weight at 800, 900, and 1000 yards. It is done with Iron sighted rifles from the prone position. You will not get the velocity out of a hunting length barrel with the light bullet required.

I actually shot a Savage BVSS at the club PALMA match in Oak Ridge with 175 grain Match Kings, as club rules are not as strict as International rules. A simple 5mph head wind even had a few of them go subsonic and destablize. A true PALMA rifle has barrels in the 30 plus inch range.

Where do you shoot 1000 yards?

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Brownells sells kits because people want to buy kits. Like McMillan offering pillars. I've done the Sako style extractor thing on a 700 bolt more than once, will never do it again.

I dig you thinking OP is going to shoot Palma.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    As it is I asked just the one question. But I shoot too much, and have seen the SOTIC committee data on extractor life in 308 700s too many times, to fall for the Sako conversion trick regardless of what other people buy or don't.

My favorite (only?) 308 Win load is a 155 Scenar going 2955 fps out of a 24" Boots barrel. Heavier profile than I like for hunting purposes but I'm a man who enjoys variety. How much of a headwind do you calculate would put me subsonic at 900 yards, at Midwestern DAs?

Top Bottom