• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    A farmer friend of mine has finally had enough. He wants to get depredation permits next year. He started shelling corn last week and says this is the worst deer damage he's ever had. I don't know his total acreage, but I'd estimate well over 100 acres. Since he's already started harvesting his crops, is it too late to have DNR come take a look? Any idea as to how many tags are typically issued per 100 acres? (I know the answer will vary a lot, but any kind of ballpark estimate would be fine). When are the permits issued? When are you allowed to hunt with crop permits? Any restrictions on gender of the deer? Is baiting allowed? Do youngsters need to have hunter's ed? Any minimum caliber limits? Anything else I should know?

Btw, I am hunting his fields this year and going to do what I can to help now. I'm hoping to tag out on his farm. I'm looking forward to a freezer stuffed with venison!

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    Contact your district wildlife biologist for more information.

From the DNR:

Out of season control permits
    In some localized areas of high deer populations, excessive deer-related damage may occur. If you are experiencing major damage, you may request out of season control permits from the DNR.
    To qualify for the permits, you must have a minimum loss of $500 in deer damage that has occurred or is considered inevitable during the calendar year. Permits are issued only on the recommendation of a district wildlife biologist and/or conservation officer.
    If you are experiencing extensive deer damage, contact your local district wildlife biologist. The biologist can help to develop a deer reduction plan and may be able to provide deer control permits for your property.

Taken from: Link

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Contact your district wildlife biologist for more information.

From the DNR:

Out of season control permits
    In some localized areas of high deer populations, excessive deer-related damage may occur. If you are experiencing major damage, you may request out of season control permits from the DNR.
    To qualify for the permits, you must have a minimum loss of $500 in deer damage that has occurred or is considered inevitable during the calendar year. Permits are issued only on the recommendation of a district wildlife biologist and/or conservation officer.
    If you are experiencing extensive deer damage, contact your local district wildlife biologist. The biologist can help to develop a deer reduction plan and may be able to provide deer control permits for your property.

Taken from: Link

Thanks. That's about all I know already. I've read that section of the DNR website many times. I'm hoping to find real world info from those that have been-three-done-that.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Interesting... District 8 now shows the office as being vacant. I know I passed along a name and phone number to my buddy a couple months ago of his area's biologist. I wonder who's taking care of that area now.

ETA: This what I get for using my phone for 99.9% of my internet browsing. Scrolling down the page a bit further shows a list of biologists covering each of District 8's counties.

Last edited:

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    The best real world info would be to call the guy who issues the permit and ask. I know several farmers who have been issued depredation permits, for the most part a phone call is all that is needed. In my area they are given out pretty freely because of the high deer population.

Last edited:

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but I am looking for info from those that have taken part in the depredation process. I am trying to help give my buddy ideas of what to expect when he calls the DNR. Does anyone know if the DNR typically does anything at all this late in the year? Is it a waste of his time to call them now, especially since he has already started harvesting? He is in Morgan county, which is district 8 and the DNR site currently says that the wildlife biologist position there is vacant.

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    If your buddy is within an hour of South Bend, I'd be willing to help you help him at some point this year with the extended season. "Does only" is fine with me. PM me if interested.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I decided to take RyanV's advice and just give the DNR a call. A quick visit to the DNR biologist page showed me that Rick Peercy from District 7 is covering Morgan county for now. I called his office and was told that he is on vacation for the week. The woman on the phone was very friendly and asked if she could help. So I hit her with a barrage of questions. Here's my take-away:

Depredation permits can only be issued when the crops are in the field and it's not currently deer hunting season. (Since bow season has started, it's too late to get depredation permits for this year).
    Permits can be issued as soon as damage is found.
    Permits expire two weeks before the first regular deer hunting season.
    The farmer must allow hunting during a regular season before being issued depredation permits.
    Up to 10 hunters can be listed on the permits.
    The number of permits is based on acreage: 5 deer per 100 acres up to a max of 25 deer.
    If the tags are filled quickly the biologist may, at their discretion, issue additional permits up to the max of 25.

I forgot to ask about minimum caliber, baiting, and buck restrictions. These are not really that important to me. I'll likely be using either a .243, .308 or 30-06. The farmer says the deer are always just standing out in the field, so baiting is likely not needed. If there is a buck restriction I'll find out later. It doesn't matter too much to me. I've never tried antler soup. I'm more interested in helping the farmer than getting a wall hanger.

So, there it is. That's the info I was able to get from one quick phone call to the DNR. Thanks RyanV for the suggestion to just call. Since it's not my farm I didn't expect them to not be near as friendly and helpful as they were. :+1: to the DNR!

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    We got some permits this year. There is a requirement on Bucks of a certain size that you have to mail in one of the antlers. I think it was 7 points or larger IIRC. They really are trying to get people to kill does and strongly discourage killing trophy bucks.

There is restrictions on the rifle calibers, and I know that the 3 you mentioned are all OK. If I remember right, the bullet had to be .243 or larger and I don't remember if there was a max or not.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I decided to take RyanV's advice and just give the DNR a call. A quick visit to the DNR biologist page showed me that Rick Peercy from District 7 is covering Morgan county for now. I called his office and was told that he is on vacation for the week. The woman on the phone was very friendly and asked if she could help. So I hit her with a barrage of questions. Here's my take-away:

Depredation permits can only be issued when the crops are in the field and it's not currently deer hunting season. (Since bow season has started, it's too late to get depredation permits for this year).
    Permits can be issued as soon as damage is found.
    Permits expire two weeks before the first regular deer hunting season.
    The farmer must allow hunting during a regular season before being issued depredation permits.
    Up to 10 hunters can be listed on the permits.
    The number of permits is based on acreage: 5 deer per 100 acres up to a max of 25 deer.
    If the tags are filled quickly the biologist may, at their discretion, issue additional permits up to the max of 25.

I forgot to ask about minimum caliber, baiting, and buck restrictions. These are not really that important to me. I'll likely be using either a .243, .308 or 30-06. The farmer says the deer are always just standing out in the field, so baiting is likely not needed. If there is a buck restriction I'll find out later. It doesn't matter too much to me. I've never tried antler soup. I'm more interested in helping the farmer than getting a wall hanger.

So, there it is. That's the info I was able to get from one quick phone call to the DNR. Thanks RyanV for the suggestion to just call. Since it's not my farm I didn't expect them to not be near as friendly and helpful as they were. :+1: to the DNR!
    my understanding is their is no restriction on the type of firearm you can use.
    Any legale weapon.
    I know folks who hunt on these permits and just kill thye deer and leave them to rot!! it happens all the time
    It's too bad

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    my understanding is their is no restriction on the type of firearm you can use.
    Any legale weapon.
    I know folks who hunt on these permits and just kill thye deer and leave them to rot!! it happens all the time
    It's too bad

I think Kentucky allows literally any centerfire rifle, but most states that allow centerfire rifle still restrict caliber somewhat. It seems like most states are 243 or larger, a few allow 223. I will likely stick with a 243 or larger. It still boggles my mind that a 30-06 handgun is considered perfectly safe for firearms season, but a 243 rifle is too dangerous.

My farming buddy has not gotten crop permits before because he didn't know of very many people that used the whole deer. He hates hearing of them being wasted. I eat the meat, feed the bones and select innards to my dogs, and save the hides for future use or give them to a friend that makes Native American trinkets.

Top Bottom