• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J10on4ds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Bedford
    Long time lurker, but I don't post much. I've been looking at a couple of pistol caliber carbines. Mainly because they look like a lot of fun, and then there is magazine compatibility. (I've been looking at a carry gun more cabable of range duty... My Keltec's I have now don't really fit into that category. Glock 26 looks the best to me so far...)But I digress.
    So I have a question about the charging handle on the carbines...
    If it is located under the bottom side like the keltec? Many don't like it.
    If its on the shooter side again people don't like it. Most of them are moving when firing, but it doesn't look like they are that close to you...

Or is it more just because they are not "normal"?

Seems like many of them don't have a LRBHO? Is that really a big deal?

Help me to understand.

Thanks in advance.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I take it you're thinking about the Hi Point. The left side handle is odd, but it's actually pretty ergonomic. They shoot great. The only drawback is the limited capacity magazine.
    The Keltecs are an animal unto their own. The bolt design is ingenious, and the mag flexibility is great, (if you can find the one you want. Hey Keltec! We don't all love glocks!). The big drawback is that you have to break your neck to get down on the sights.
    The ARs are great. Some uppers use dedicated bolts etc to run 9mm better.
    What am I leaving out, INGO?
    I have no experience with JRCs, but the ones I have had have one thing in common. They're FUN!

LRBHOs aren't necessary. A good red dot usually works, if you don't prefer irons.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    if you have a 1911 or Glock get one of these......i have one in 45ACP 1911.....great shooter...

MechTech - Home

153nuc2.jpg

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine gives you the ability to change the charging handle from right to left and back as often as you like, or if you are crazy like me, just buy an extra handle and have one on each side.

The Storm Carbine is very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. Bought one for myself that was promptly taken by my daughter as she really liked it, I wound up getting a second so we now have his and hers Beretta CX4s and both of us are really happy with them.

The Storm Carbine does have a last round bolt hold open. Mine uses the 92 mags but there are kits to be able to go to either the 8000 Cougar or PX4 Storm Pistol mags.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I've got the Mag Tech Nano that Centerfire sells, I like it. Left hand charging is convenient. It is a reciprocating charging handle but that doesn't bother me, just don't put your hand or clothing near it. Problem solved. It's also all aluminum and it uses glock mags which is nice

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    The Kel Tec has the charging handle under the buffer tube. Slightly awkward and it does reciprocate with enough force to make you cuss if you have fingers in its way. But it takes 33 round Glock magazines and is very accurate.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have a Beretta 92. I am seriously considering getting a Beretta Cx4. It looks like it would be a really fun gun to shoot and it takes the same mags as my 92.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    The Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine gives you the ability to change the charging handle from right to left and back as often as you like, or if you are crazy like me, just buy an extra handle and have one on each side.

The Storm Carbine is very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. Bought one for myself that was promptly taken by my daughter as she really liked it, I wound up getting a second so we now have his and hers Beretta CX4s and both of us are really happy with them.
    Replace daughter with wife and this is my exact story, even the duel charging handles.

I love the Cx4 and always recommend it. Probably the biggest drawback is that you are going to be limited to a Beretta handgun for magazine compatibility. Others such as Kel Tec, JRC, etc. offer magazines from numerous manufacturers. If you really like adding things to the gun and personalizing it, the JRC, Nano, and AR15 platforms will offer LOTs of options. You can fit standard AR15 furniture on them. The Keltec's cool folding feature makes it difficult to add optics and accessories.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    There's always old school - Ruger PC9. This is a great rifle - accurate, sturdy, eats anything, LRBHO. Ghost ring sight version has a longer sight radius. Downsides - not made anymore, somewhat heavy (but that eats up recoil). Takes any Roger P-series mag, up to and including 32-rounders.
    I also have a Calico (awesome 100-round mags, problematic cheek weld), a HiPoint wearing a CX4 stock (better than you'd think, but limited capacity mags and doesn't like aftermarket mags) and a Sub 2000 (originally S&W, but works with modified Ruger P-series mags). The Sub with stock extension, cocking handle pad and neoprene stock cover works acceptably.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have a JRC. You can switch the charging handle to either side. It is a fun gun to shoot. I bought mine in 40 as that's what I carry for a sidearm. For a few hundred bucks you can buy conversion kits for the JRC so they can be multiple caliburs. I may also end up with a Kel tech sub 2k gen 2 or the nano.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    That thing is a work of art. How does she shoot? I always comb the gun shows for them but never have seen a used one come up. See them at the steel plate matches.

it shoots great!!....i have it dialed in at 100y......little over 2" group shootin' 230gr RNL 6.5GR of Promo(Red Dot with out the dots).....it eats anything i have ran in it.....

J10on4ds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Bedford
    I take it you're thinking about the Hi Point. The left side handle is odd, but it's actually pretty ergonomic. They shoot great. The only drawback is the limited capacity magazine.
    The Keltecs are an animal unto their own. The bolt design is ingenious, and the mag flexibility is great, (if you can find the one you want. Hey Keltec! We don't all love glocks!). The big drawback is that you have to break your neck to get down on the sights.
    The ARs are great. Some uppers use dedicated bolts etc to run 9mm better.
    What am I leaving out, INGO?
    I have no experience with JRCs, but the ones I have had have one thing in common. They're FUN!

LRBHOs aren't necessary. A good red dot usually works, if you don't prefer irons.

Yeah I haven't really narrowed it down at this point.

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    Don't forget about the lever-action carbines in .357-.44-.45. Lots of fun there. I have a Rossi Puma 357 and love it. Also have the CX4 in 9mm.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom