School me on the process of aftermarket barrels on a m700.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    So I've been flirting with the idea of switching out my triangular VTR 1:12 twist barrel. I'm doing my research but just can't seem to get the ABC's of what is what.

So here are my questions:

Barrels from Krieger and Bartlein come as blanks, yes? Meaning they have to have the throat and chamber cut as well as the crown on the business end. Yes?

What exactly is done by a gunsmith? I'm assuming a good gunsmith has the lathe and equipment to match the action to the barrel.

Thanks,

-JD-

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So I've been flirting with the idea of switching out my triangular VTR 1:12 twist barrel. I'm doing my research but just can't seem to get the ABC's of what is what.

So here are my questions:

Barrels from Krieger and Bartlein come as blanks, yes? Meaning they have to have the throat and chamber cut as well as the crown on the business end. Yes?

Yes they have to be threaded, chambered, cut, and crowned

What exactly is done by a gunsmith? I'm assuming a good gunsmith has the lathe and equipment to match the action to the barrel.

Yes a gunsmith threads the barrel to 1-13, 1-28, whatever matches your reciever. Alot of times they blueprint the action while they have it all apart, but its not a must do type thing.

Thanks,

-JD-

In blue

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A barrel blank must be threaded to the prospective receiver, the chamber cut and then finished chambered ect. A barrel blank is a tube with rifling. You may want to look into Savage type pre fit barrels that can be just dropped in and set at home with no machining. Never used one but have read good things about them.

BC0027S - Remington 700  Barrel – 26” – SS - .223 - Varmint ContourRemington 700  Barrel – 26” – SS - .223 - Varmint Contour

I didnt know they had a barrel nut option for the 700 until I saw your link.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I priced having a 700 rebarreled about a year ago he said about $175 plus the price of the barrel blank.

As i recall good barrel blanks started around $200.

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I had a Pac-Nor 18" 1/10 fluted super match target weight in SS put on a worked over 700 action for a around 630.00 That was the cost of the barrel, trueing and slicking up the action ect. Best 700 .308 I have ever owned. Money well spent IMO.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There are a couple of guys in the Ft Wayne area that can install and chamber a barrel for you. Any of the premium barrels from Douglas to Shilen to Kreiger will do it for you. Plus many more makers.

Call me if you want to do it. My advice is that your barrel is just hunky dory for now. But I understand the need to spend money too. We always say...if only I had a better barrel....I woulda shot better:D

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Less than 1 moa at 200 yards and you are not happy. You have very high standards. :D

I will help you get a custom barrel installed on your rifle if you wish. What will you do if it shoots no better than what you have now?

Would you like to trade for my 1000 yard 40X with the kreiger 1X13 and aluminum chassis? My rifle is worth $3000 without sights.

Or take it out with a scope and see how well you can shoot it? 40 or 50 rounds through it won't matter at all. I have a couple of hundred rounds loaded up.

Let me know.

Top Bottom