• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I have decided that I want to part with a few 1911's and acquire a "United States property" marked wartime era 1911. I know very little about what and how many were arsenal refurbished, what serials were actual war time issue, etc. Just know I want to change up my 1911's a bit.

I am looking to spend $1000 - $1500 is possible. Being able to shoot is is a must... I can't afford or desire a show piece, just a piece of 1911 history that I can shoot. I would prefer a Springfield. I do know that these were very limited in years contracted. I know most likely it will be a Colt or other combination.

Any help in steering me the right way would be appreciated.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I have decided that I want to part with a few 1911's and acquire a "United States property" marked wartime era 1911. I know very little about what and how many were arsenal refurbished, what serials were actual war time issue, etc. Just know I want to change up my 1911's a bit.

I am looking to spend $1000 - $1500 is possible. Being able to shoot is is a must... I can't afford or desire a show piece, just a piece of 1911 history that I can shoot. I would prefer a Springfield. I do know that these were very limited in years contracted. I know most likely it will be a Colt or other combination.

Any help in steering me the right way would be appreciated.
    If you are going to put new ammo through 1911s the you need a new recoil spring. You should either get a colt or reminington rand

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    One thing you may not be aware of is that a good number of those guns should probably not be used as a regular shooter. The metallurgy and heat treating on many of them were nothing like what we have today (especially the pre WW II models) and many have had so many rounds through them and have been "rebuilt" so many times that the Govt. eventually realized they were going to have to be replaced or taken out of service. I'm not saying that it will blow up on you but you may finish it off if you put enough major power rounds through it. If you want a shooter I would consider one of the reproductions being offered by several manufacturers. You could easily spend some serious cash on a gun that's not going to hold up for long. Talk to some collectors and see what they think about your idea. I am like you and love those guns but I tend to agree with the guys who buy them and just keep them in a safe. I would love to have an original Springfield Armory WW I gun with the flaming bomb on it but like you I would want to shoot it. A lot. I have one Springfield (not the U.S. armory make) that was new in 1986 and the frame is cracked in two places from years of shooting it. It probably has over 70,000 rounds through it now. I used to shoot a thousand rounds a week for a number of years when I was younger and dumber.

Last edited:

rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    I have one of the "US Property" Colt 1911's that I got from my dad. It is a nice gun but after the first couple of posts, makes me wonder about replacing the spring. Never had a problem with it but haven't put many rounds through it either. Thinking about possibly selling it and getting something different.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    I have a "U.S. Government" 1911a1. Nearly all of these guns were purchased, years ago from the Government "Department of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM)", the predecessor of the current Civilian Marksmanship Program .

I purchased it in 1962 at the cost of $27.50 with a $5.00 shiping charge. I carried it for 22 years in the Marine Corps and used it for qualification every year I was required to qualify (most of those 22 years).

I shot a lot of rounds through that pistol with nary a burp. I shot match ready ammo, GI issue ammo, reloads, and new civilian ammo. Never replaced anything.

YMMV

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a "U.S. Government" 1911a1. Nearly all of these guns were purchased, years ago from the Government "Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP)", the predecessor of the current Civilian Marksmanship Program .

I purchased it in 1962 at the cost of $27.50 with a $5.00 shiping charge. I carried it for 22 years in the Marine Corps and used it for qualification every year I was required to qualify (most of those 22 years).

I shot a lot of rounds through that pistol with nary a burp. I shot match ready ammo, GI issue ammo, reloads, and new civilian ammo. Never replaced anything.

YMMV

Let me know if you want to double your money on that :D

Top Bottom