• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    We have a interwebs speed of 12/Mbps "down" and we're looking at replacing our stock router with one that has an N signal. Unfortunately, I don't know much about routers or how networking works aside from fundamentals. I know that whatever router signal I get, it will never increase file download time (unless from my own internal network) from the internet faster than what my 12/Mpbs connection will allow.

I have 2 laptops, 3 consoles, a desktop and our home entertainment center all hooked in to signals. All have the capacity of a G or an N signal but currently they're all on G and we want to go to N.

Can someone recommend a wireless router that would fit our needs?

Amazon.com: ASUS Black Diamond Dual Band Processor, Hardware NAT, 5 Internal Antennas, Fast Gigabit Ethernet and 128MB DDR2 Wireless Router (RT-N56U): Electronics

We were looking at one similar to that. We would use wireless printing, the guest network would be nice and I want something that will not force my N signal devices to switch to "G" so that all signals have the lowest common networking signal. I read that some routers force that on devices for commonality.

Thanks! :ingo:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm using a NetGear 3500L wireless N, currently our home computers are hooked up wired to it, but I have a Lexmark Pinnacle Pro 901 wireless printer and 2 Trendnet wireless gaming routers hooked up to it, one runs full time for a VOIP router, and the other is for my Blu-Ray player to stream NetFlix.

I also run my LG 60inch plasma with it's USB wireless N card and do not have any problems what so ever.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Here's two links for you

www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

Engenius Tech, Inc.

and here's a explanation of the standards...

Wireless G Vs Wireless N - The Difference Between G and N Wireless Protocol

I think where your problem in speeds is going to take place is if you still have a 802.11G device on the network as most routers will default to that standard rather than go up to the N standard and also take into consideration that signal strength and distance from a AP will also effect speeds achieved.

Top Bottom