• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I've been browsing fixed-blade knives today and my head is spinning with the different types of blade materials. I've pretty much settled on a Ka-Bar BK-2 and noticed it sports 1095 steel. Don't know what that means, but another knife I looked is the Gerber Strongarm with something called 420HC. What do these numbers mean and should I be concerned with them? I'm assuming it has to do with the strength of the material. Is there a number I should stay away from? The knife will be used for camping/backpacking including some batoning, but I'm not sure if that matters.

Also- I've pretty much narrowed it to the BK-2 but I'm open ears to any suggestions at that price range ($60-75) and blade length (4.5" - 5.5")

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1095 is a non-stainless, high carbon steel with minimal other elements in the alloy. It has nominally 0.95% carbon. It's a tried and true steel that can yield truly excellent results when the geometry of the knife and the heat treatment are both good. The only downside is that it rusts easily.

The BK-2 is a classic knife and a solid, stout performer. It's also made of 1095CV, which is 1095 with some chromium and vanadium added to alter the properties of the steel. It's essentially the same metal Camillus used for the Becker knives and at least one of the metals that Cold Steel marketed as "Carbon V." It's also the allow Case uses for their non-stainless pocket knives.

420HC is a stainless steel with a lot less carbon, but a lot more of other elements in the alloy, especially chromium and nickel. It resist corrosion well, but it requires a really, really good heat treatment (like Buck uses) to make a servicable knife.

Unless you're going to be working in a corrosive environment and you won't take steps to maintain a carbon steel knife, the 1095CV of the Becker is a better performing steel.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Ah, I see. The BK knives also come with some kinda of coating on the steel, is the purpose of that to help prevent rust and corrosion? I plan on taking care of it, so i think the BK-2 is my choice

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Ah, I see. The BK knives also come with some kinda of coating on the steel, is the purpose of that to help prevent rust and corrosion? I plan on taking care of it, so i think the BK-2 is my choice

The coating helps but doesn't protect the cutting edge, and it will eventually wear off with use.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

The BK-2 is a much better choice overall.

The coating helps but doesn't protect the cutting edge, and it will eventually wear off with use.

Correct!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Lots of good info. Bookmarking for sure, thanks! Also, thanks in advance because I'm meeting Knife Lady tonight to purchase a Ka-Bar BK-10 :) Decided I wanted something a little bigger than the BK-2.

Good choice on the knife! Excellent choice on the vendor!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    yes but i dont know beckers waranty, but esee is lifetime, no questions asked(on the blade, not the finish)

Good luck breaking a BK2. I'm not saying it can't be done, obviously it can if tried hard enough. But it's a legendary performer, built like a tank, and one / if not the best bang for buck camp knives out there. And if for some reason it breaks and you weren't doing something stupid like throwing it, Becker is going to come through for you on it. That's in no way bashing ESEE, I love the entire lineup and have been using them for years.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Good luck breaking a BK2. I'm not saying it can't be done, obviously it can if tried hard enough. But it's a legendary performer, built like a tank, and one / if not the best bang for buck camp knives out there. And if for some reason it breaks and you weren't doing something stupid like throwing it, Becker is going to come through for you on it. That's in no way bashing ESEE, I love the entire lineup and have been using them for years.

dont see how anybody could bash esee!(and i know you aint!), i watched a video on youtube where a person gave a review, and said the since the finish was wearing off, he said he was going to break it, so he could get a new knife, people started bashing him for taking advantage of their waranty, esee replied to the post saying we would rather you not break the knife, but they would replace it!, i think smoky mountain knife works has a display of broken esee knives.

on the esee forums, there was a guy who had a used,abused, beat all to hell esee, and jeff randall ofered to buy it back, and give him a new knife to replace it, and the guy said no, i like this one!

and i might be wrong, but didnt esee design the becker necker?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    dont see how anybody could bash esee!(and i know you aint!), i watched a video on youtube where a person gave a review, and said the since the finish was wearing off, he said he was going to break it, so he could get a new knife, people started bashing him for taking advantage of their waranty, esee replied to the post saying we would rather you not break the knife, but they would replace it!, i think smoky mountain knife works has a display of broken esee knives.

on the esee forums, there was a guy who had a used,abused, beat all to hell esee, and jeff randall ofered to buy it back, and give him a new knife to replace it, and the guy said no, i like this one!

and i might be wrong, but didnt esee design the becker necker?

No, but there is a collaboration between ESEE and Becker call the Escabar. It's a BK11 Becker Necker blade mated to the handle of an Izula.

Ka-Bar-Becker-Necker-Plus-Esee-Izula-Equals-the-EsKabar.jpg

Top Bottom