• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I needed to pick up my daughter from school today due to a minor sickness.
    Typically, dropping off before school or picking up after is no problem as I'd have no need to exit the vehicle and always remain armed according to the exception of IC 35-47-9-1(3).

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    However, many schools require a sign-out for midday absences and there is no nearby public property to park off site at this school.
    Today, I needed to go and I decided I was done disarming for such occurrences. That ridiculous law should not primarily be a burden to law abiding carriers (though we know it is.)

I got the school phone number and set out to get my daughter.
    When I got to the parking lot, I called the office, identified myself and asked them to send her out. I was told that I needed to come in and sign their form.
    I told them I could not exit the vehicle today so they should send the form out to me if I needed to sign it.

Now I was completely prepared to explain further if necessary and had considered my choice of words in advance. I was also prepared to interact with police on the chance that even a carefully worded description of my armed status and the law I must adhere to could cause a response.
    What I wasn't prepared to do was take no for an answer. I would not be leaving without my daughter (of my own volition), or it would be a felony.

But there were no follow up questions, no fanfare. They sent the form out on a clipboard, I signed, and left with my daughter.

Too easy. No drama. It's my new SOP. :yesway:

I still hate that law in general, but in the past I had actually disarmed at home when I knew I would have to go in and sign a form.
    :ugh:

No more. ;)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    ATM, first of all +1 for trying a new tactic and letting us know how it went!

Second, have you attempted to get "permission" from the principal or superintendant to be an authorized armed individual on school grounds?

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm still working on authorization at my church with licensed preschool, but I don't hold any hope for the public school system to consider it.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Completely brilliant! I do not have children. But you would have been complying with the law so. No harm done. I dont like this law because it doesn t neccesarly protect the passangers gun rights!

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'm still working on authorization at my church with licensed preschool, but I don't hold any hope for the public school system to consider it.

Good luck with the church, let us know how that goes. Luckily I shoot IDPA/USPSA with my pastor so even if we had a daycare I would be GTG. (though that might change since I kicked his but with his own gun last match) :rockwoot:

Anyway if someone doesn't get around to either changing the law or attempting it themselves by the time my son enters school then I will see what I can do and, as always, it will be posted on :ingo:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Nice work ATM..I like the way you came about your new SOP and were determined to stick with it come what may. :yesway:

It's a good thing you weren't riding a motorcycle..That would've really mucked everything up. ;)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Would it be illegal to leave the gun locked in the car and walk in to the school?
    Yes..according to IC you cannot leave the vehicle period. With or without the firearm.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Would it be illegal to leave the gun locked in the car and walk in to the school?

IANAL, but I believe you are OK to do this as long as your car is not parked on school property.

I may have to try the OP's method next time. I normally park my car across the street and put my EDC in the lockbox while I go in.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Did they send someone out with the clipboard or did your daughter bring it out?

They had my daughter bring it out this time.

Yes.

It's a good thing you weren't riding a motorcycle..That would've really mucked everything up. ;)

The wording of the exception becomes a bit greyer, but IMO I'd still be OK.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

IANAL, but I believe you are OK to do this as long as your car is not parked on school property.

there is no nearby public property to park off site at this school.

It was stated previously that there is no public parking nearby but yes, leaving a gun in any shape or form on school property is a felony. Even JUST the serial numbered frame with no other parts or ammo is considered a firearm and would be a felony if caught.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The wording of the exception becomes a bit greyer, but IMO I'd still be OK.
    Yeah I know. I just stuck that in there because of the big debate on the other thread about that very thing, hence the ;) e-con. :D

mlake12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    i will remember that, my generally stays in the cars, even when parked on school property, what they dont know doesnt hurt them :)

Top Bottom