• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Which should qualify you for a tax rebate/credit in the amount of your private school tuition.

I get angry every time someone refers to the public school system as "a free education". BS! My father built his house in 1961 and is still shoveling money at the same school I graduated from in 1992. Where's the "fairness" in that? For what he's paid in they could have sent me to a private school and a four year school and been done for a long time now.

Precisely.
    These tax and spend morons are drunken sailors on leave.
    Limits need to be set. And held to.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    Looks like to me, the tax increase will probably pass as teachers/administrators seem to wield a lot of power nowadays. https://www.wdrb.com/news/floyd-cou...cle_5538870c-3d8d-11ea-929d-eb42d63afc69.html
    Of course no political whore wants to seem like they aren't supporting "our children."
    Reading through the article you cited I thought a few of the quotes were interesting: "[FONT=&quot]Currently, the district says one mental health therapist is inside each school. They serve 700 students district-wide, and the need is growing.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"We really need probably two to three (therapists), depending on size of the school," Jensen said. "Most of our schools have a wait list of anywhere from 25-35 students."[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"It's not just trauma, there's plenty of that," said Erin Creekmore, an elementary school mental health counselor. "It's also anxiety, it's depressive symptoms, it's ADHD, it's behavioral disorders."
    No talk of parental responsibility anywhere but "its for the children."

[/FONT]

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Schools have plenty of money, AND there's nothing in the state laws that says referendum money has to go where they say it will go. The only taxes that go to specific things are SOME excise taxes. I don't have the law in front of me right now, but suffice it to say that the laws regarding how schools spend their money is pretty loosey goosey. Oh it says what fund has to pay teachers and what fund has to pay for busing and capital improvements. It also says that money can be moved in and out of any of those funds. Sooooo....

They will always want more more more. There is no such thing as enough when it comes to schools spending money.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Imagine how popular I was with the soccer mom crowd in our social circle when I continually called BS on this Red for Ed propaganda campaign.

...like I care.

We make fun of "it's for the children", and rightfully so, but people fall for it every day.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Imagine how popular I was with the soccer mom crowd in our social circle when I continually called BS on this Red for Ed propaganda campaign.

...like I care.

We make fun of "it's for the children", and rightfully so, but people fall for it every day.

lolz... I'm not allowed to talk about local politics when I'm around my wife's friends. They are BIG TIME into the whole red for ed, teachers walk on water, and should all apply for saint-hood.

When I tell them what the budget is for our schools, it usually shuts up most of that crap. BTW, PCSC spent $35.5ish million last year... They have over $6 million in cash on hand.

https://core-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/...381475/2018_Annual_Financial_Report_FINAL.pdf

They actually moved about $72 million when you include all the debt service and capitol improvement.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Red for Ed!

Think of the children!

I'm sure all the proponents (the leaders, not the sheeples following them) realize that state government has NOTHING to do with teacher salaries, which are set by the local districts?

What about the vaunted "home rule," where most decisions should be made locally? Well, unless we want the state to intercede.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Red for Ed!

Think of the children!

I'm sure all the proponents (the leaders, not the sheeples following them) realize that state government has NOTHING to do with teacher salaries, which are set by the local districts?

What about the vaunted "home rule," where most decisions should be made locally? Well, unless we want the state to intercede.

The union (NEA who organized and funded the "Red for Ed") has made no secret of the fact that they want as much state control and as little local control over schools as possible. That makes their lobbying all the easier.

Top Bottom