• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RickyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I live very close to 2 high schools and they are both near shopping centers/gas stations. My question is; if I have my firearm on me while I go into a gas station or a store that is within 1,000 feet of a school, am I breaking the law? I can't seem to find much clarity on the interwebs.

Also, there is a bike trail that runs all throughout the city. Sometimes I ride my bike to work and one of the trails goes directly through a high schools back parking lot. Am I allowed to carry if I am riding through and don't get off of my bike? Not sure if the bicycle would technically be considered my vehicle.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The federal 1000-foot rule has an exception for legally licensed/permitted carry. Look in "exceptions" here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

I suspect the bike trail is a grey area, without knowing more. If it is indeed a public right-of-way, then passing through should be fine, same as any other street/sidewalk. If it is school property, then those rules apply.

RickyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Cool, thank you.

It's the River Green Way in Fort Wayne. From their website; "The Rivergreenway is owned and maintained by the Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Department, the City of Fort Wayne Public Works Department, and the New Haven/Adams Township Parks & Recreation Department"

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I suspect that would put it under 35-47-11.1, as a political subdivision of the state, and thus exempt from any local law. State-level law, such as school zones, would still be applicable, but that covers property that the school corporation owns or operates. Does sound like a very gray area, from the perspective of someone who doesn't know that area. (me, in this case!)

Good on you for checking it out. A local attorney might be able to tell you with more authority/knowledge. Better safe than sorry.

Blessings,
    Bill

Cool, thank you.

It's the River Green Way in Fort Wayne. From their website; "The Rivergreenway is owned and maintained by the Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Department, the City of Fort Wayne Public Works Department, and the New Haven/Adams Township Parks & Recreation Department"

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Your county gis site should be able to show you the legal ownership of all the property of the bike path and if there are any easements.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Am I allowed to carry if I am riding through and don't get off of my bike? Not sure if the bicycle would technically be considered my vehicle.
    I believe the school ground exception specifically refers to locked inside a motor vehicle. So even creates a gray area for motorcycles too.

Personally I just ride on the road in those situations but the drivers can get incredulous if you don't use the bike path. After the hit and run murder Monday I may start to open carry.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I believe the school ground exception specifically refers to locked inside a motor vehicle. So even creates a gray area for motorcycles too.

Personally I just ride on the road in those situations but the drivers can get incredulous if you don't use the bike path. After the hit and run murder Monday I may start to open carry.

It was my understanding the weapon only needed to be locked if you exit the vehicle. Picking up or dropping off and as long as you stay in your vehicle, no special considerations apply.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Interesting, their is a church sitting on what i would call school property, would the church be considered private property because it is owned by the church? The school is in a seperate building from the school but i would place it within 1000 feet

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Interesting, their is a church sitting on what i would call school property, would the church be considered private property because it is owned by the church? The school is in a seperate building from the school but i would place it within 1000 feet
    County GIS will tell you for sure.

Is it is church with a private school, or a church and a public school?

If the first, then the property is likely only parcel, and both buildings and the common areas are "owned in kind", and therefor considered one entity - a school.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Here is a picture, edited to remove street names and adressed for anonymity is this church part of a school sone? Their is a school on the other side as well to the south of the church.

%5BURL=http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/padutton3919/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6924_zpshijs741u.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r602/padutton3919/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6924_zpshijs741u.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    503 S high street bloomington IN is the address of the church, how do you find this information? Is there a website or something you may be able to link?
    eGIS by 39 DEGREES NORTH
    Search by address.

503 S. High Street is owned by the Evangelical Church. The building to the north is owned by Roman Catholic Archdiocese Of Indianapolis Properties. Two completely different entities. Additionally, they do not seem to be connected in any way, shape, or form. No shared parking, no sidewalks.

IMHO, they are two completely distinct properties. One is a school (the Archdiocese), and the other a Church. Not a school by IC, unless there is something else I don't know about.

Top Bottom