• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I'm in Hamilton county, most of the school zone signs are marked with time.

My old house is in a subdivision straight across from elementary school. The traffic sign says "7am to 4pm, Mon to Friday.

I've never gotten a ticket or pulled over for that matter, but I always wondered what if it's on a holiday, like this coming week there's no school on Monday for President's Day.

Does the school zone limit still apply or not.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

My old house is in a subdivision straight across from elementary school. The traffic sign says "7am to 4pm, Mon to Friday.

I've never gotten a ticket or pulled over for that matter, but I always wondered what if it's on a holiday, like this coming week there's no school on Monday for President's Day.

Posted times, flashing lights, etc. are not what make the statute apply. Children must be present for the lowered speed limit to apply. BBI posted the statute upthread.

Most municipalities are woefully inept at actually posting valid school zones.

The lights/times only matter if children are present.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

I'm guessing this is going to be decided by the guy driving the car with the lights on it and how far you're willing to fight it. You get some dick with authoritah he'll read the sign literally and tell you to "take it up with the judge". At that point you'll establish a precedent I guess.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I'm guessing this is going to be decided by the guy driving the car with the lights on it and how far you're willing to fight it. You get some dick with authoritah he'll read the sign literally and tell you to "take it up with the judge". At that point you'll establish a precedent I guess.
    In my many moons ago anecdotal experience in traffic court, there are a whole bunch of invalid school zone tickets written. They were probably among the most successfully contested tickets percentage wise.

There are a whole bunch of police officers that think that the signs about time/lights matter rather than what is in the statute.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    In my many moons ago anecdotal experience in traffic court, there are a whole bunch of invalid school zone tickets written. They were probably among the most successfully contested tickets percentage wise.

There are a whole bunch of police officers that think that the signs about time/lights matter rather than what is in the statute.

Roger that, you win the war but the battle can be a royal pain in the ass.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thank you! This has been interesting and helpful. This particular zone does not have the flashing lights or a sign anywhere near the end of the zone noting return to normal speed.

I haven't been ticketed here. Just wondering what the law was.
    Mooresville?

mensajess

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Greenwood
    I've gotten a school zone ticket in an apartment complex, no school in sight, on a Friday, at 10 pm. Officer didn't bother meeting me at traffic court. The "When children present sign"s always bothered me as I don't have kids and could careless what the local school schedule is. Is school in session today? What time does school end?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    What about the flashing lights that are on until well after school hours, 4:30 or later? I go by what BBI posted, but have wondered if I could potentially be issued a ticket.

Top Bottom