Schools and definition of too cold - REALLY?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Myla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    Online Everywhere bu
    Let me begin by stating this is in Celcius.
    Today in my area it is -20ish, Windchill is -29

NEW School Board policy states:
    During the winter season, many parents are concerned about school policy on outdoor recess. It is generally accepted that when the wind chill factor drops below -25°C, students should not go outside for recess. Dufferin-Peel C.D.S.B. Policy uses a wind chill factor of -20° C as a determining factor for modified recess. We ask that students come dressed appropriately with hats, gloves, mittens etc

I remember one year, I drove my son to school and waited with him until it the bell rang because the windchill was only -26. At the time the policy was early entrance or indoor recess if it was a temp of -25 or wind chill of -27.
    Called school, no one was allowing any kids to stay indoors.
    Honestly, wtf???

Is this just a dumb Canadian thing? I'm thinking yes.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Heck, we had 2-hour delays this week, because the temp was around 10* F (-12* C). Windchill was about 15* colder. Too cold for kids to wait on the bus, I guess. Heaven forbid their parents wait with them, they wait inside, or (gasp) get driven to school!

No idea on the recess policy. I'm guessing it is indoors?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Evidently. I guess folks haven't heard of mittens around these parts.

Too cold for kids to stand at the bus stop, and I guess too cold to even get the buses started.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    One time our township tried to not do a 2 hour delay. Did not work out so well for us because only about 5 buses started out of aprox 200. A couple of hours later and I think we had 7 started. This was after we went in at 430am to start them to have ready by 545 when the first couple of buses roll out.

Myla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    Online Everywhere bu
    I had a colleague in New Orleans a few years back who forwarded me a FEMA warning they received about dangerousl cold weather alert. From what I can recall it was a warning about skin could freeze instantly and do not travel if you do not need to.

Here is the funny part, it was dropping to 32F

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Sounds like what we had growing up in MN. Mandatory outside recess if unless it was below -20* (-28* centigrade) or -30* windchill (-34* centigrade.) You came ready for it or you got cold.

Now it seems like my kids are not allowed outside for recess now when it drops below 20*.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Heck, growing up in Calgary, it wasn't unusual for temperatures to hit -40 Celsius most days during the winter, and they never cancelled recess, let alone school. Either your parents took you, or you walked because a bus system was almost unheard of. The kids always used the ridiculous temperature as a reason to cut Luge tunnels out of the icy hill and crazy carpet their way through them. We had one winter in particular where we'd received about 5' of snow overnight. Dad went to open the garage door in the morning, and all we had was about 5 cm of sunlight poking out of the top of the 7-8' snowdrift piled up where the door was.

The kids now are babied way too much, and then people wonder why we're stuck with a society of whiners and people that sue over everything.

Down in Lexington, KY, where my parents are, they cancelled school because they received an 1/8" of snow on the ground. Holy smokes! My parents were floored.

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    meanwhile in Russia
    norilsk-279.n.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    We had a 2 hour delay earlier this week.

Air Temp was -2 F

Wind chill was -15 to -25 F

We are in the largest geographic (square miles) school district in the state of Indiana. The logic is that the kids should not have to stand outside to wait for the bus in those temperatures. Most of our district is rural farms, sometimes its a 1000' or even quarter mile walk from the house up to the road, bus doesn't stop at each drive, so the kids may have to walk to a neighbor's drive.

Not such a big deal for high school kids, but its a problem for the little kids. Lots of parents sit in their cars at the end of the driveway with their kids waiting for the buses to come.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    One time our township tried to not do a 2 hour delay. Did not work out so well for us because only about 5 buses started out of aprox 200. A couple of hours later and I think we had 7 started. This was after we went in at 430am to start them to have ready by 545 when the first couple of buses roll out.

You don't have them plugged in, or what? I had a decrepit old Thomas that started kinda hard at 14F one morning, but started nonetheless, and I found out the plug had been pulled and it hadn't been plugged in all night.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    My problem with the delays is, seriously what is two hour delay going to accomplish? It feels just as cold at 9 as it does at 7. When it's that cold a couple of degrees doesn't matter much. Just my opinion.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Our school district doesn't delay for cold. However, as long as the temp. or windchill is above 0, we take the kids out to recess. I' ve actually had kids show up in shorts,capris, and no winter coat this week...and this is in elementary school. It' s hard for me fathom that parents send their little ones out dressed like that. UGH!!!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    You don't have them plugged in, or what? I had a decrepit old Thomas that started kinda hard at 14F one morning, but started nonetheless, and I found out the plug had been pulled and it hadn't been plugged in all night.

No, our facility does not have plugs and quite a few of our buses are not equipped to be plugged in. We have several Thomas rear engine buses somewhere around the 2006 model year that are difficult if not impossible to start in the weather we have been having this week.

My problem with the delays is, seriously what is two hour delay going to accomplish? It feels just as cold at 9 as it does at 7. When it's that cold a couple of degrees doesn't matter much. Just my opinion.

Again this is my thought, but the only good point I can bring to the argument is the buses and getting them started.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Our kids had a 2 hour delay Tuesday because of the cold. It was 6 degrees when I took my son & his friends to school a little after 10:00. Windchill was below zero.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Plugging them in makes a world of difference. I think that Thomas was a 1990 or thereabouts. It was retired after that year (2002 I think). I think it was the first bus ever to have the Allison pushbutton transmission. We got a batch of buses and Allison came and wanted to beta test their transmission on one. The rest in that batch had mechanical shifters.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    My daughter's school opened 2 hours late yesterday because of the "severe" cold temps. I had to laugh. The schools are giving super wimp training. Laughable.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

The day goes by faster.

Top Bottom