• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigworm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    hobart
    So do you have to be 1000 ft from a school if you have a ltch. I want to k ow if I am doing something illegal walking my dog past a school.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No. The federal GFZ law exempts those who have a state-issued permission slip to carry when it is issued by the state in which the school is located. Do note that that means if you are visiting, for example, Kentucky, where our LTCH is recognized as valid, it is NOT valid for that purpose, as I understand it. However, if you hold an Indiana LTCH, you are good to go to be "within 1000' of a school", so long as you are not on school property.

Blessings,
    Bill

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    No. The federal GFZ law exempts those who have a state-issued permission slip to carry when it is issued by the state in which the school is located. Do note that that means if you are visiting, for example, Kentucky, where our LTCH is recognized as valid, it is NOT valid for that purpose, as I understand it. However, if you hold an Indiana LTCH, you are good to go to be "within 1000' of a school", so long as you are not on school property.
    Blessings,
    Bill

You can be on school property if you are dropping someone off. You must stay in your vehicle though.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You can be on school property if you are dropping someone off. You must stay in your vehicle though.

"in control" of said vehicle is how it's worded, I do believe. Not just "in" the vehicle as a passenger.

You can also be "in control" of a motorcycle, even though you're not "in" it.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    "in control" of said vehicle is how it's worded, I do believe. Not just "in" the vehicle as a passenger.

You can also be "in control" of a motorcycle, even though you're not "in" it.

Its "possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle being operated by the person to transport someone to or from school or school event". You're right, a passenger cannot legally carry a firearm in a vehicle on school property.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    What if you DON'T have an LTCH and live 1000' or less from a school?

You'd still be gtg in your home or on yor property. The 1000ft federal GFZ law is rather moot in Indiana as you're exempt with a LTCH, in your home or on your property, well as locked up and unloaded in your car. Any other form of carrying would already be ink violation of Indiana law regardless of how close you are to a school. The 1000ft violation would just be an "enhancement" to the crime yor were already committing.

IANAL/IDNSAAHIELN

YMMV.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom