• ...and so much more!
  • phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    This.

An old, original 8OT stockman is one of the best pocket knives you can have.

Wholeheartedly agree. Few years ago at the Indianapolis hamfest a lady vendor had a cigar box of pocketknives. She was asking $1.00 each. Almost all were junk chinese knives. I asked her about these two old looking knives. She said they are old junk and you can have them for 50 cents apiece. I took both. 8OT stockmans and my buddy and I each still carry them!

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wager a bet that those are Chinese made lower quality versions of their higher end knives and are made specifically just for Walmart

Perhaps now, but years ago Walmart was one of the bigger sellers of the original Spyderco Native, which was one of the best bargains on the market for a knife with a CPM S30V blade then. Those Natives may have been made in Seki, Japan, but were definitely not Chinese made. Currently, the Native 5 is made in Golden, CO.

Isn't the Chinese equivalent of Spyderco the Byrd Knife?

Byrd is a sub-brand. There are Spyderco-branded knives such as the Tenacious that are made in China to Spyderco's specs.

Wholeheartedly agree. Few years ago at the Indianapolis hamfest a lady vendor had a cigar box of pocketknives. She was asking $1.00 each. Almost all were junk chinese knives. I asked her about these two old looking knives. She said they are old junk and you can have them for 50 cents apiece. I took both. 8OT stockmans and my buddy and I each still carry them!

Nice find!

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    This.

An old, original 8OT stockman is one of the best pocket knives you can have.
    I have been carrying my dad's old 80T for the past year.A couple nights ago,my mom gave me my uncle's( who gave it to dad when he was 16) WWII Navy pilots survival knife.I took the Navy knife,and gave the 80T to my nephew,who fell in love with it.He got something from a grandpa he never met.It held a great edge and I will find another old ,clean one on eBay for 30-35 dollars.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    The Schrade 80T Stockman is a great old knife for sure..
    I have 3-4 of these & have given several old timers & uncle henrys to my sons..
    My EDC is a Benchmade Griptillian or one of several Gerbers..
    Somehow the old Schrade always seems to make it's way into a pocket anyhow..

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    dwe45t.jpg

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I have an Uncle Henry LB8 that I have used for over 30 years. Still in excellent shape and holds an amazing edge. Also carried an LB5 for a number of years. Retired it went I went to a Leatherman PST (still feel a bit dirty for doing that) and miss the feel of a quality knife. Sometimes, I will still carry it for old times sake. Anyway, if you want a Schrade knife, be sure it is at least 30 years old. The newer ones are not even close close to the quality of the 'old timers" (pun intended). You would be miles ahead to spend your money on a Gerber, Kershaw, or Kabar rather than buying a new model Schrade. And you can't go wrong with an older 80T Stockman either if you are looking for a reliable folder. I have 2 of them and they are wonderful little knives.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Perhaps now, but years ago Walmart was one of the bigger sellers of the original Spyderco Native, which was one of the best bargains on the market for a knife with a CPM S30V blade then. Those Natives may have been made in Seki, Japan, but were definitely not Chinese made. Currently, the Native 5 is made in Golden, CO.

Byrd is a sub-brand. There are Spyderco-branded knives such as the Tenacious that are made in China to Spyderco's specs.

Nice find!

Nifty bit of information, thanks

Top Bottom