• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can do that.
    Lowering the speed limit was originated as an idea to save gasoline because of the Energy Crisis.
    It sort of started in 1973 with the Gas Crisis where gasoline took a massive jump and continued on into 1979 where it spilled over into other energy sources.
    So, the speed limit on interstates was like 70 MPH and got cut to 55.
    Took forever to get anywhere.
    I remember the gov't running TV ads showing how driving 55 only took a "few more minutes" to get where you were going.
    Cars got smaller to increase fuel economy.
    Families couldn't afford them anyway due to high interest rates.
    They were junk anyway, wouldn't run right and wore out easily.
    I remember not just the speed limit, but sitting in school bundled up and freezing cause they set the heat to 60 deg. F, eating a cold sandwich at lunch because serving a hot meal was wasteful energy useage.
    They went in and pulled out every other light bulb so it was always dark in class.
    And all the time, you are getting news like the next ice age is starting or in 10 years there will be no oil.
    I remember eating gov't cheese, wasn't too bad.
    We traded eggs that our chickens laid to some neighbors.
    Gov't trying to "solve a problem" made it worse and worse.
    And all the time finding excuses why their solution would not work, playing the blame game.
    I think the only thing that wasn't in play was racial tensions were not the way they are now.
    The 60's kind of took care of that for a while.

That's a pretty good summary. But just to add to that, I remember one of the primary instigators for the 55MPH speed limit was insurance companies. They lobbied pretty hard for it.

I remember the late 70s as a horrible time in America. Everyone around me was cynical about America, government, and our future. After hearing the news of the failed attempt to rescue the hostages, I remember thinking that we were incompetent and weak. That, to me was the bottom. Everything was bad. Interest rates made everything unaffordable. Then along came Ronald Reagan and he was able to give people confidence about the future.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I can do that.
    Lowering the speed limit was originated as an idea to save gasoline because of the Energy Crisis.
    It sort of started in 1973 with the Gas Crisis where gasoline took a massive jump and continued on into 1979 where it spilled over into other energy sources.
    I remember the gov't running TV ads showing how driving 55 only took a "few more minutes" to get where you were going.
    I remember not just the speed limit, but sitting in school bundled up and freezing cause they set the heat to 60 deg. F, eating a cold sandwich at lunch because serving a hot meal was wasteful energy useage.
    They went in and pulled out every other light bulb so it was always dark in class.
    And all the time, you are getting news like the next ice age is starting or in 10 years there will be no oil.
    And all the time finding excuses why their solution would not work, playing the blame game.
    I think the only thing that wasn't in play was racial tensions were not the way they are now.

We were suppose to be completely converted to the metric system in just a few years.
    A nuclear war was going to happen before we reached 30. (Those of us starting 6th grade in 79)
    My mom had a basic calculator, ran off 4 AA and was about the size of a brick.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I temember watching a film in school in 1975 that showed what life would be like in 1985. Everyone was wearing gas masks.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I can do that.

:yesway:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    There shouldn't be governors on long haul semis.

I remember the old days before the 55 speed limit was passed in the early 1970's.

If you wanted to cover some mileage, you ran with the semis.

Nowadays, running with the semis who many have governors already, is a good way to get NOWHERE fast!
    And they clog up the roads blocking off the passing lane and taking miles to pass somebody and congesting the traffic.

It's congestion, not speed that causes collisions, as you can only run into somebody when they're close by to run into.

A lot of truth in this. I would add that the closing speed between vehicles is also a major factor, whereas the actual overall speed doesn't mean all that much. By lowering the speed limit for trucks, the closing speed between vehicles will be increased. These fools are going to increase the number of accidents with this stupid proposal, not decrease them.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    Watch this issue....
    The technology exists now to limit your vehicle to the posted speed limit.
    We already have vehicles that will limit HP and speed limiters, unless they sense through the GPS that you are at a racetrack. Then the computer lets it all loose.

I'm typing this at work watching vehicles pull out... We could have this on our production cars and trucks in 2 years if the Government wanted it to be so...

Give up a little liberty for a little sense of security? Oh why not?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yippee. I can't wait to increase the number of instances where one big rig is doing 60.5mph and the one behind him decides to pass since his is capable of 60.7mph. There really is nothing more edge of your seat exciting than a 23 mile, 21 minute drag race on a two lane interstate at 10mph below the posted speed limit.

^^^This!^^^

I'm usually not for more laws, but I'd consider supporting the ticketing of semis that spend more than a limited amount of time (say 2 minutes...negotiable) in the passing lane without a really, really good reason.

diavic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Yippee. I can't wait to increase the number of instances where one big rig is doing 60.5mph and the one behind him decides to pass since his is capable of 60.7mph. There really is nothing more edge of your seat exciting than a 23 mile, 21 minute drag race on a two lane interstate at 10mph below the posted speed limit.

This drives me crazy.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    ^^^This!^^^

I'm usually not for more laws, but I'd consider supporting the ticketing of semis that spend more than a limited amount of time (say 2 minutes...negotiable) in the passing lane without a really, really good reason.

Why? Why are you focusing on a class of drivers rather than an undesired action (i.e., driving slow in the fast lane)?

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    Why? Why are you focusing on a class of drivers rather than an undesired action (i.e., driving slow in the fast lane)?

No need for more laws, enforce the ones on the books now, they can already get ticketed (more than 1 even) for hanging out in the left lane.

IC 9-21-5-9 said:
    Vehicles traveling at reduced speeds; use of right lane; prohibited operation in left most lane; violation
    Sec. 9.
    • (a) A vehicle that travels at a speed less than the established maximum shall travel in the right lanes to provide for better flow of traffic on the interstate highways.
    • (b) This subsection applies to the operation of a vehicle:
      • on a roadway that has two (2) or more lanes of traffic in each direction; and
      • in the left most lane, other than a lane designated for high occupancy vehicles.

Except as provided in subsection (c), a person who knows, or should reasonably know, that another vehicle is overtaking from the rear the vehicle that the person is operating may not continue to operate the vehicle in the left most lane.
    • (c) Subsection (b) does not apply:
      1. when traffic conditions or congestion make it necessary to operate a vehicle in the left most lane;
      2. when inclement weather, obstructions, or hazards make it necessary to operate a vehicle in the left most lane;
      3. when compliance with a law, a regulation, an ordinance, or a traffic control device makes it necessary to operate a vehicle in the left most lane;
      4. when exiting a roadway or turning to the left;
      5. when paying a toll or user fee at a toll collection facility;
      6. to an authorized emergency vehicle operated in the course of duty; or
      7. to vehicles operated or used in the course of highway maintenance or construction.
    • (d) A person who violates this section commits a Class C infraction

IC 9-21-8-12 said:
    Interstate highways; lane use restrictions for trucks
    Sec. 12.
    • Except when passing a slower vehicle, entering or leaving a highway, or where a special hazard exists that requires, for safety reasons, the use of an alternate lane, a person may not operate a truck, truck tractor, road tractor, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer on an interstate highway in any lane except the far right lane.

IC 9-21-8-13 said:
    Interstate highways consisting of at least three lanes; lane use restrictions for trucks
    Sec. 13.
    • Except when entering or leaving a highway or where a special hazard exists that requires, for safety reasons, the use of an alternate lane, a person may not operate a truck, truck tractor, road tractor, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer on an interstate highway consisting of at least three (3) lanes in one (1) direction in any lane other than the two (2) far right lanes.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

But now it's illegal to imode traffic in the left lane right? You can just write 'em up

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    But now it's illegal to imode traffic in the left lane right? You can just write 'em up

Look at those laws again, particularly the 'except when passing a slower vehicle' part. It doesn't matter that one is passing the other with 3/64 of a mile per hour difference in speed. Further, although in this case Phylo has his badge 24/7, the highway generally isn't saturated with police, even if some times it seems like it is.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    ^^^This!^^^

Look at those laws again, particularly the 'except when passing a slower vehicle' part. It doesn't matter that one is passing the other with 3/64 of a mile per hour difference in speed. Further, although in this case Phylo has his badge 24/7, the highway generally isn't saturated with police, even if some times it seems like it is.

I would be for amending the law to include while passing. If you can't get it done in a couple of minutes, there's no need to pass anyway. Just fall in line.

But it's not like that's going to help any. If Dickhead Schumer gets his law, pretty much all truckers will have to comply. But I doubt most will comply with the left lane/passing law.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would be for amending the law to include while passing. If you can't get it done in a couple of minutes, there's no need to pass anyway. Just fall in line.

But it's not like that's going to help any. If Dickhead Schumer gets his law, pretty much all truckers will have to comply. But I doubt most will comply with the left lane/passing law.

I will tell you what is going to happen with compliance. You will see an even greater acceleration in the trend for drivers who actually know what they are doing to find something else to do (which is on my intermediate term plan, incidentally) because they are tired of this sh*t, and the highway will be flooded with even more new people who have been pencil whipped through driving school and, well, recent imports who are used to driving like they are in a demolition derby like they do in the old country, and it will get substantially worse. Compliance will go down the toilet. No industry can survive all its experienced members running for the door leaving in the hands of the inexperienced and inept being directed by people who don't have a clue how to actually do the job. "Enter at Your Own Risk" signs coming soon to an entrance ramp near you.

Oh, I almost forgot, you are right about taking the approach that if you can't, then don't. Unfortunately, there is no way to effectively legislate or enforce against people being d**ks.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I listen to Red Eye Radio on 3rd shift. One of the ads was about a trucker for this as he said without it the bus load of kids may not be here. I kept thinking" well you idiot if you weren't speeding or thinking of speeding in the first place this wouldn't need to be mandatory." If private sector companies wants to do this that's one thing, but once the gov gets involved it only gets mucked up costing people jobs, money, and lives.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

While I have the authority I do not possess the ability, I don't drive a marked car or wear a uniform and one or the other is required to stop a vehicle.

As far as ticketing folks for holding up the left lane, the operators of automobiles are far worse offenders than those operating the tractor trailers in my experience. I see probably a 30:1 ratio of autos to trucks who camp out in the left lane due to ego. If I had the ability and the desire to start banging out tickets the auto drivers would most certainly receive the majority of my attention.

Top Bottom