• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Too many people, especially scientists, ignore the central tenets of science in order to pursue agendas. Science does not and cannot "prove" anything, it can only fail to disprove. Questioning hypotheses, results and conclusions is the very heart of science.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If we could break out of the mindset that faith equals anti-science, that'd be great. If we could break out of the mindset that science is not always right, that'd be great. If we could break out of the past myths of science and the Church, that'd be great. If we could stop saying that life may exist on a planet because of water vapor and some gases, which could potentially support life if the right conditions were present (nevermind the fact that it is colder and less sunny than here, but life is what scientists call it, not politicians or abortion activists, I guess)... too much to rant on.

I'm glad plenty of people (here) see past credentials and a splashy SoMe profile.
    Why do you think there can't be life somewhere because it is cold or dark? If there is one thing this planet has shown us it is that life will find a way. The hottest, coldest, darkest, most pressurized areas on this planet all have life. If it can happen here, why not somewhere else?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not skeptical of science. I'm more skeptical of what politically motivated scientists say. They're self-interested people just like all humanity. That's why they have peer review, and to some extent that's effective. But when peer leaders can influence what peers say through professional intimidation or whatnot, peer review becomes less effective.

What Niel Degrasse Tyson has going for him that has elevated his platform so much is that he's charismatic and eloquent. He uses both those attributes effectively. If his self-interest is merely furthering science, that's well and good. But if his manifestation of self-interest is political then the science isn't so much science as much as advancing political goals. All that to say, I'm not blaming "science" for the ethical failures of scientists.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If we could break out of the mindset that faith equals anti-science, that'd be great. If we could break out of the mindset that science is not always right, that'd be great. If we could break out of the past myths of science and the Church, that'd be great. If we could stop saying that life may exist on a planet because of water vapor and some gases, which could potentially support life if the right conditions were present (nevermind the fact that it is colder and less sunny than here, but life is what scientists call it, not politicians or abortion activists, I guess)... too much to rant on.

I'm glad plenty of people (here) see past credentials and a splashy SoMe profile.

Faith and science are two completely separate things. They are two different ways to arrive at answers to questions about why things are. I have no reason for faith to make me believe life couldn't exist elsewhere, or in harsher conditions than we have on Earth.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Too many people, especially scientists, ignore the central tenets of science in order to pursue agendas. Science does not and cannot "prove" anything, it can only fail to disprove. Questioning hypotheses, results and conclusions is the very heart of science.

You might want to wander over to the bull**** 9/11 conspiracy thread. You'll be quickly pummeled with that attitude!:laugh:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    "Science" is the religion of the left...at least part of their holy trinity. Celebrity scientists like Tyson, Bill Nye, et al are their high priests. To a large extent, we seem to have reached the point that once a scientific decree has been pronounced, it must be raised up and worshiped. And whoa be unto all you heretics that don't follow without question. I agree with HoosierKav, being religious does not automatically make you anti-science. Some of our all time greatest scientists were men of faith.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'm not skeptical of science. I'm more skeptical of what politically motivated scientists say.

Getting your science information from political sources is like asking for a pizza at a Chinese restaurant.

You might get your pizza, but don't be surprised if it has a little squid and soy sauce on it.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    My thought: We have ONE PLANET. We can go nowhere else. If we screw this up we take ourselves and a zillion other species down. Is it not then better to err on the side of caution?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Churchmouse, I see what you're talking about trying to read an article from this site. Today, I'm on a laptop, running Chrome and between the pop ups at the start and something refreshing the screen every 15 seconds (and automatically scrolling me back up to the top...kinda), the information is practically unreadable.

I like Ben Shapiro ( I think he was the author) and only wish my wit was as sharp as his. But he's got to get ahold of his web designers.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My thought: We have ONE PLANET. We can go nowhere else. If we screw this up we take ourselves and a zillion other species down. Is it not then better to err on the side of caution?

I'd prefer not to err. I'd prefer not to encourage powerful people to consolidate even more power through fear mongering. In a world full of self-interested people, transparency is about the only basis for trust. Peer review is one mechanism for transparency that scientists have used, but even that doesn't prevent manipulation.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Getting your science information from political sources is like asking for a pizza at a Chinese restaurant.

You might get your pizza, but don't be surprised if it has a little squid and soy sauce on it.

How does Tyson make his pizza?

BTW, good to see you back. Had to do a double-take when I saw the screen name.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Sure it is, but we can't follow the "liberal" agenda, of no new business,

for fear of destroying the planet .....

There are MORE people everyday, and everyone needs to WORK,

to support themselves ..... no new business, robotics, etc.,

and pretty soon, there are NO jobs .....

who is going to "take care" of all the people .....

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Caution tells me to not let my kids ride their bikes or play sports. Caution tells me making them sit on the couch is about the safest approach to raising them.

As Jamil said, erring on the side of caution is just erring.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Caution tells me to not let my kids ride their bikes or play sports. Caution tells me making them sit on the couch is about the safest approach to raising them.

As Jamil said, erring on the side of caution is just erring.

Almost every climate alarmist I've ever debated in person or online, at some point brings up the "err on the side of caution" point. What can't we justify if it could possibly save one child, one furry kitten, one snail darter. These are the warnings that powerful self-interested people use to tug on emotions to get people to concede more power to them.

deGrasse Tyson's video is just an elitist tugging at emotions to get people to concede important decisions to people like him. I'm not saying that we should disregard what all scientists say. I think we should demand transparency and consider what they have to say. But I'm not gonna concede decision-making to elitist scientists.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    How does Tyson make his pizza?

I don't know, I think his breath might have been a little squiddy.

BTW, good to see you back. Had to do a double-take when I saw the screen name.

Thanks, it's been awhile.

I vote we live fast, die young, and leave a zillion good-looking corpses.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I find it interesting how some of the high profile climate liars (like Prof Hockey Stick) fight FOIA requests tooth and nail to hide the data they claim to have.

That just doesn't happen when an actual scientist publishes results and conclusions. They want people to review their work thoroughly. Hiding it is a HUGE clue.

Top Bottom