• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    On the global climate thing, I'm pretty utilitarian.

Do man-made emissions have an effect? Yeah, probably. Man has been changing local ecosystems and environmental influences since the beginning. (However you want to define "the beginning.")

How do we measure those effects? Poorly.

Can we reverse those effects? Probably not.

What can we do? Same as always. As we learn more, we should really try to limit those things that have (or could have) harmful effects. Conservation is a conservative value. But, we should also plan. We should plan for things to be unstable, with a trajectory that appears to be getting cooler over time. Or warmer. Depends on where the measurements are taken and when. We should try to identify what will happen and where, and build/plant/protect based on available information.

Probably best not to panic or do anything drastic.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Do man-made emissions have an effect? Yeah, probably. Man has been changing local ecosystems and environmental influences since the beginning. (However you want to define "the beginning.")

What can we do? Same as always. As we learn more, we should really try to limit those things that have (or could have) harmful effects. Conservation is a conservative value. But, we should also plan. We should plan for things to be unstable, with a trajectory that appears to be getting cooler over time. Or warmer. Depends on where the measurements are taken and when. We should try to identify what will happen and where, and build/plant/protect based on available information.

I would add that we should not let it be turned into a political football which clearly has happened.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This thread needs more threats and derisive comment.
    You are all doody heads!
    hqdefault.jpg

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

Since the beginning is probably an inappropriate watering down of the effects of industrialization on the planet. Resource exploitation, pollution and population have increased exponentially over the last 200 years. There were about a billion people on the planet in an agrarian economy (more or less) in 1819. There are what...7.7 billion today, demanding their piece of the pie.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Are those effects dwarfed to the point of insignificance by natural forces? Unquestionably.

Maybe you’re confident in your answer to that. I’m willing to say that I don’t know enough about climate science to say it’s unquestionable. It seems the other side likes to say their side of it is unquestionable. But I can confidently say I have enough reasons that I do understand that with confidence I can say I’m skeptical.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Maybe you’re confident in your answer to that. I’m willing to say that I don’t know enough about climate science to say it’s unquestionable. It seems the other side likes to say their side of it is unquestionable. But I can confidently say I have enough reasons that I do understand that with confidence I can say I’m skeptical.

Tony Heller has a great analogy to demonstrate the scale of human impact. Human-contributed increase in atmospheric CO2 is approximately equivalent to adding one additional person to a packed football stadium at The Ohio State University (capacity: ~105,000). And bear in mind that CO2 is a comparatively minor player in the climate mechanisms involved.

So, yes, I'm extremely confident in my answer.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Tony Heller has a great analogy to demonstrate the scale of human impact. Human-contributed increase in atmospheric CO2 is approximately equivalent to adding one additional person to a packed football stadium at The Ohio State University (capacity: ~105,000). And bear in mind that CO2 is a comparatively minor player in the climate mechanisms involved.

So, yes, I'm extremely confident in my answer.

Adding to that, if the effects of CO2 as per the misnamed "greenhouse effect" were as strong as claimed by the true believers, the temps would be inexorably climbing without the fluctuations in the other direction or the relatively static situation we've had for the last couple of decades. Either it's doing it like they claim, or it's not. The actual temperature data refute at the very least the magnitude of warming attributed to atmospheric CO2 level.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Leadeye Follow the money.

It is all about money, control and bat **** crazy environmentalists.

If you have read Rainbow 6 you will know what I believe the end of radical environmentalists should be.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

If you have read Rainbow 6 you will know what I believe the end of radical environmentalists should be.

While I agree with you, at least in part, there's tons of money on all sides and the money leads to opposite conclusions on this particular issue.

One side wants cheap and plentiful resources (and power), the other side doesn't. There's money streaming into both of them, so hitch your wagon to one that aligns with your favorite political ideology, and hold onto your hat.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

An international, diversity-focused, secret terrorist-fighting special forces group?

Oh wait.

That's the BEGINNING of Rainbow 6, not the end.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have read that the much hyped 400ppm of CO2 level was last attained (according to analyzing drilling cores) approximately 3 million years ago. I am not certain how conditions postulated to be extant then can or should inform us about where environmental conditions may lead in our immediate future

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    While I agree with you, at least in part, there's tons of money on all sides and the money leads to opposite conclusions on this particular issue.

One side wants cheap and plentiful resources (and power), the other side doesn't. There's money streaming into both of them, so hitch your wagon to one that aligns with your favorite political ideology, and hold onto your hat.
    I am in the persuadable middle on it. There has been so much proven deception and overblown predictions on the environmentalist side though that I just don't trust anything they say.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I am in the persuadable middle on it. There has been so much proven deception and overblown predictions on the environmentalist side though that I just don't trust anything they say.

I want to start a company that makes sun screen and parkas. Won't matter which scientists are right.

Top Bottom